jkon 636 Posting Whiz in Training Featured Poster

I watched both grow , from their early beginnings , because our current servers are on CentOS and of course I am not happy with where CentOS has gone.
Because the CentOS lesson , I have been really caution and I am a little bit too worried from witch one from those to select. If you have build in a server in top of an OS a tons of others systems you CAN'T just change the OS. You just migrate to a new server with whatever that means (it is not just the cost , consider the burden to the Sales & Demand dpt. to make all users to use a new serve in their outlook or what ever their are using)
I will not list the advertised pros for each one of them in relation to the other ( to be fair an LLM can summarize pretty well press releases even if you ask one vs the other). And notice that I am leaning to AlmaLinux.

But ... If you imagine AlmaLinux as an entity , then that entity is living out of resources from CloudLinux. There is nothing bad about that , it is not their's (CloudLinux) property nor can they can influence the AlmaLinux future path (I hope). But if CloudLinux bankrupts , or just stops supporting AlmaLinux what happens ? Will AlmaLinux still be there ?

And there there is Rocky Linux , witch seems great. And the sales point is that the human that is under CentOS is also under Rocky. And exactly this is the reason I am not leaning towards Rocky. Why couldn't the same play that happened with CentOS repeat with Rocky ? Some entity (big company or a crazy billionaire) buys it out and make your version non upgradable as it is, except of course if you pay a stream something and be a forever customer that they can bill you as match as they like.

What is your view in this dilemma ?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.