Hi to all our newcomers, and to those not-so-newcomers who may still be struggling with just what a forum is and how it works.
We are a community here. Our purpose is to assist you with your problems, if we can, but beyond that we want you to become one of us! Whether it's to get more problems resolved in the future, to chat in our 'Lounge' section about life in general, or to pass on the knowledge you have yourself and assist others with it. Makes no difference to us. We're simply friendly people! Yes, you heard right. I DID say that you can help others here too! Don't sell yourself short, please. There's one constant factor involved in the computing world. The 'expert' is only the person who has read one more page of the manual than you have. Everybody has something to contribute :)
Those people new to online forums need not be overwhelmed by how complex it all looks. The basic principles of participating in a forum are quite simple. You start threads (topics), or you make comments in reply to them. To start a new thread, you need only locate the appropriate forum section, display its index page, and click on the 'New thread' button at the top of the list. Give it a title, type out what you want to say, then click on the 'Submit' button.
To reply to a thread, you simply need to display it, click on the 'Reply' button, type out your comment, and then click 'Submit'.
Sounds easy? That's because it IS.
We ask a few things of you:
* Please do your best to find the appropriate section to post your thread in. We cover a lot of subject matter, and our menu system is rather complex as a result, so your efforts will help us to keep things in order. But if you don't quite get it right, don't panic. We're happy to help you out by moving misplaced thread.
* Please start a new thread for your own problem, rather than adding a further question to an existing thread. Even though the problems may seem similar, they often stem from different causes, and having two or more different questions being answered in the one thread can become confusing for those reading.
* Please don't ask for people to email or message answers to you. The forum is here for those who are reading as well as for those who are asking, so all assistance and discussion should be on display in the topic thread for others to see.
* If, when reading a discussion, you get the impression that it is missing the point and that there is something else which needs to be considered, please feel free to say so. We only ask that if you are making a suggestion on a 'hunch' rather than from definite knowledge, you say so!
* If when reading, posting, or answering a topic, a humorous thought strikes you, don't feel frightened to include it. As said, we're a community. We'd like to share the humour as well, rather than spend all our time being pompous and formal!
You'll find further helpful information in the DaniWeb News and Feedback topic "How to do stuff", and in the FAQs linked in that topic. You'll find Rules, Staff bios, and helpful links and tools in the toolbars at top and bottom of screen. Explore the Control Panel for your account and customise the way the forum works for you if you like.