Since I know you're actively promoting your forum, you might care to make it a little easier to use. To that end, may I make a few suggestions:
1. Software developers are keyboard-friendly. When we've entered our log-in and password, we don't want to reach for the mouse to click on 'Go,' we want to tab to it. The tab key doesn't take you to it, however. It most definitely should.
2. The 'Quick Reply' facility is misleading. Only after submitting is it made clear that you have to join first. What's even more annoying is when you're already a member, but haven't realised that you're not logged in (see 1). There's no option to log in at that stage, so you go back, only to discover that everything you typed is lost.
3. Pop-ups. Need I say more?
4. Is it me, or do your adverts make your site particularly slow?
5. Now it won't let me create the tags I want. If that's the policy, why not say so before the user submits? Why have an edit box that takes free format text, only to reject it? I have given up and posted this without tags.

I thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

5. Now it won't let me create the tags I want. If that's the policy, why not say so before the user submits? Why have an edit box that takes free format text, only to reject it? I have given up and posted this without tags.

Which tags are you talking about; could you give an example?

>The tab key doesn't take you to it, however. It most definitely should.
Good suggestion, that's basic login box design. Though you might want to consider choosing the option to remain logged in if it bothers you that much.

>Only after submitting is it made clear that you have to join first.
I haven't seen any serious forums that allowed guests to post in a long time. Perhaps you need to upgrade your common sense module. :)

>3. Pop-ups. Need I say more?
Yes, you do. Are you talking about ads or stuff like the questionnaire? In the former case, Dani has generally been good about bitching to the ad hosts when they try to pull that stuff. The questionnaire may be annoying...once. I haven't seen or heard about any other exceptional pop-ups beyond that.

>4. Is it me, or do your adverts make your site particularly slow?
The site makes the site particularly slow. The ads make it worse. Get yourself something like Adblock Plus and you can make the site usable.

>5. Now it won't let me create the tags I want.
You seem stuck in the 90s where forumgoers didn't need to create an account, so why even bother with tags? :D Personally, I find them distracting anyway.

I rarely find the site slow. Maybe you guys should upgrade your ISP, hmm? But I agree with you on the reply box - occasionally I'm fooled into that too. But the real solution is to remember to check whether or not you're logged in before you try to post.

To add another very minor annoyance, we now have to wait 15s between up or down voting. And also reload the page in between, since it doesn't know when 15s have passed otherwise.
Suggestion:

if (member.post_count > 1000) //vote all you want!!!

:)

1. Software developers are keyboard-friendly. When we've entered our log-in and password, we don't want to reach for the mouse to click on 'Go,' we want to tab to it. The tab key doesn't take you to it, however. It most definitely should.

Hm, I will disagree with you there.

From experience, I would expect pressing Enter/Return to submit the login, personally I can't think of a single time I have 'tabbed' to a button to submit a form.

While I agree that the tab order should be logical, I find pressing one key much simpler than pressing tab and then pressing enter (which works on its own)...

The only thing I find annoying is, when editing a post, having to use the mouse to move the focus to the "reason for editing" box. In previous versions of DaniWeb the tab key sent the focus to that box. I would think its just a simple matter of changing the tab order to change it back to the way it was in previous versions. BTW PFO works like this too and would like to see it changed there too.

I thank you.

Granted on the part of developers, but not so for web surfers. That's click, mouse over, scroll, and a multitude of other mouse functions that You (soft ware developers) wrote in to the software. Later---

i tell ya whats annoying. when i forget to enable Adblock Plus, and i keep getting that stupid big popup ad at the top of the page. but then i remember to enable Adblock and it's all groovy again.

hello? hijack, what?

oh, sorry. carry on.

Problem 2 on your list has been fixed. Now, if you are not logged in, and you attempt to use quick reply, you will be given the option of either registering OR logging in to complete the process.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.