Below is a link to a rather popular topic which now has an unviewable page. From what I can see it exceeds php's memory limit of 16MB. I would strongly suggest increasing it to 48MB as 32MB is the php standard and without a limitation on the size of a single code/quote block, 48MB would be required at the present time.
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread90244-84.html

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Page is displaying OK here in Chrome following that link (only browser I have access to at this precise moment)

It works now but I think a mod fixed it. I experienced the same problem (in FF 3.6.6)when I went to check on what cwarn was talking about.

I just reloaded it and now it seems to be displaying fine. It occured about 6:30PM when there was an error on line ~500 with memory leak of about 16****** bytes. I forget what the other numbers were.

The last poster on that thread before the problem was causing trouble in C also, so there may have been something nefarious afoot.

I think it's a bug which rarely occurs which needs to be fixed. That is the maximum amount of code that can go into a code tag. It seems code tags take a lot of cpu to process and large chuncks of code in code tags can cause fatal errors.

This has been a known issue for years now. It's not going to get fixed.

I had thought I *had* fixed this :(

Also, it's not when people have REALLY long code snippets. It's when people have really long code snippets nested within a ridiculous number of code snippet tags:

Something like ...

[code]

[code]

[code]

[code]

[code]

[code] Really Long Code Snippet [/code] [/code] [/code] [/code] [/code] [/code]

Because bbcode is processed from the inside out, first the innermost tag is syntax highlighted. Then, one level up it tries to syntax highlight already syntax highlighted code. When already syntax highlighted code is passed through the syntax highlighter, it results in something super long and ridiculous. Then, two levels up it tries to syntax highlight whatever THAT outputs. Five times. The final product ends up being something ridiculous that exceeds PHP memory limits.

I just want to add:

The ideal situation is to simply disable bbcode within bbcode. However, we allow the bbcode to be used within code tags that are not syntax highlighted to point out specific items.

>>However, we allow the bbcode to be used within code tags that are not syntax highlighted to point out specific items.

only [color=red] works. Other colors are ignored.

Well, both red and green :)

But the fact that ANY bbcode at all works within code tags means that we can't just tell vBulletin to not run the bbcode parser within code tags.

What about if you used some php regex to remove the duplicate code tags inside code tags before a new post is submitted? Or would that be a bit hard with vBulletin Dani?

Or only allow for 1-level nesting instead of unlimited?

Now the new post icons don't update. I do not know exact anatomy of problem of this thread, but do not want to start new thread for maybe well known situation. You can reply to this and people can check the reason of problem. The proof of solution is of course that everything start to work again.
This link shows that I have unread message (Purple target) in the Python forum thread list, even I posted last message myself at the moment of editing this post:
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread294581.html

Inside it has not link for jump to first unread.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.