I think that the Daniweb admins might want to know:

1) A PHP error is thrown when signing up. I didn't record it, but it is either reproducible and therefore easy to find, or not reproducible and therefore not an issue!

2) The Login form consists of a CSS popup, which is incompatible with password saving software. I personally have a 16 digit unique random password for all my website subscriptions, so I will not be typing them in. If a password manager cannot be used with a particular website, then I cannot use that website. I personally use Lastpass in Firefox on Kubuntu, if it matters.

3) The "Quick Reply" box is displayed whether or not the user is logged in. If the user is not logged in then upon submitting the form the user is presented with a signup form, but no login form! Furthermore, the pages on the forum are not cached, so if the user presses that back button the "Quick Reply" field is empty! That means that the post was lost. And yes, I just lost a long post thanking a user for helping me. That is frustrating for me, and the user won't receive the thanks that he deserves. Lose, lose situation.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

1) Unfortunately I am unable to reproduce this error. However, changes WERE made to the registration code earlier today, so I am not entirely convinced that it was a one-time glitch.

2) The login form uses CSS to be hidden by default. JavaScript is used to change the CSS attribute to visible. However, the actual html code is always present on the page with the div ID of 'loginform'. Alternatively, the default behaviour is to use a cookie so you shouldn't have to log into the site each time you visit.

3) This is done on purpose, to entice people to SAY what they may want to say, and then being required to register after they've already typed it all out. The fact that there is a signup form, but no login form, on the resulting page is a known bug that will be fixed in the near future. Sorry about that!!

Thank you cscgal.

1) I could not reproduce this error when trying to sign up with "testusertest" just now. You can delete that account (which was successfully created with no error).

2) I finally got Lastpass to work with Daniweb. It was not trivial. Issue #3 clobbered my instructions, sorry.

3) Well, I was encouraged to say what I wanted to say, and then the forum software promptly discarded my words. I won't be encouraged again, I promise. In fact, I just tried replying to this post and again, my words were lost. This is a dataloss issue and a real gotcha as the user has no clear indication that he is not logged at the bottom of the page near the form. Even slashdot is good enough to mention "Hey, you're not logged in" near the Reply form. I have to consider if I will continue using Daniweb until this issue is resolved, where is the bugtracker that I might subscribe and be notified?

(second try, issue #3 clobbered my last post, about three times longer than this one)

Thank you cscgal.

1) I could not reproduce this error when trying to sign up with "testusertest" just now. You can delete that account (which was successfully created with no error).

2) I finally got Lastpass to work with Daniweb. It was not trivial. Issue #3 clobbered my instructions, sorry.

3) Well, I was encouraged to say what I wanted to say, and then the forum software promptly discarded my words. I won't be encouraged again, I promise. In fact, I just tried replying to this post and again, my words were lost. This is a dataloss issue and a real gotcha as the user has no clear indication that he is not logged at the bottom of the page near the form. Even slashdot is good enough to mention "Hey, you're not logged in" near the Reply form. I have to consider if I will continue using Daniweb until this issue is resolved, where is the bugtracker that I might subscribe and be notified?

(second try, issue #3 clobbered my last post, about three times longer than this one)

This bug has been fixed. From now on, if you are not logged in, and you attempt to reply to a thread, the resulting page gives you a smooth process to either register OR log in. I apologize for the inconvenience, and hope that you will now consider this problem resolved to your satisfaction.

Thanks, I'm glad to hear that the login issue is resolved!

(and this post was in fact a test that it does work)

cool :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.