I've decided to start learning Objective-C after learning python. I am not sure if i should be uding the C forum, Can There be a new Place for objective C? if anything i can start posting resources, pdfs and snippets of code that i find to kickstart a forum? if there is an existing forum, or if i should be reading C (as i understand it C can be used almost natively in objC)

Any help or comments appreciated

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Objective-C is different enough from C that posting questions in the C forum probably wouldn't buy you much. For languages without a dedicated forum, the Legacy and Other Languages forum is there as a catch-all.

Or if you can find enough people interested in an Objective-C forum, Dani may be convinced to add it. ;)

Or if you can find enough people interested in an Objective-C forum, Dani may be convinced to add it. ;)

And that's nearly impossible. I've tried for several years now to add a forum for MS-Windows c/c++ programming with no luck even though there are thousands of such posts in the C and C++ forums.

Well that's because Windows-based C/C++ programming isn't really a separate language. It's more of a subset, and with hundreds of forums already, I prefer not to have additional deeper levels because they tend to be ignored/unseen.

For languages without a dedicated forum, the Legacy and Other Languages forum is there as a catch-all.

There's also mobile development.

I prefer not to have additional deeper levels because they tend to be ignored/unseen.

Yes, or they become a hangout for the three people who wanted that group, and you're not after running a private chat room.

Also, if a group doesn't have a threshold of traffic, questions are likely to go unanswered, and that doesn't look good for the site as a whole.

But if there is some interest, and if the interested parties are willing and able to ensure that incoming questions would be addressed with reasonable promptitude, I don't see the harm in giving it a try - let it run for a year and see whether it gets traffic. If not, zap it.

Who knows, I might have obj-c questions in the next year, I might like to see such a forum... :)

But if there is some interest, and if the interested parties are willing and able to ensure that incoming questions would be addressed with reasonable promptitude, I don't see the harm in giving it a try - let it run for a year and see whether it gets traffic. If not, zap it.

Who knows, I might have obj-c questions in the next year, I might like to see such a forum... :)

Makes sense. Start the forum and if there's no traffic to speak of, move the threads to Legacy and kill the forum. This way you know for sure if it's a viable entry in the list rather than guessing.

Creating and removing forums is not as easy as that, I'm afraid. It takes a huge toll on our SEO and has some other negatives in getting off the ground, and is really bad in many aspects to remove once live (lots of other websites start linking to the forum listing, navigation breaks, etc).

What are navigation breaks?

What are navigation breaks?

Broken links.

Creating and removing forums is not as easy as that, I'm afraid. It takes a huge toll on our SEO and has some other negatives in getting off the ground, and is really bad in many aspects to remove once live (lots of other websites start linking to the forum listing, navigation breaks, etc).

You can keep the links the same, just disable new posts. I would love a Visual C++ forum too.

And if it will not get any traffic then there will probably not be many links :>

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.