OK, we know if we pull out the ranking list, we can see the one with the maximum post, reps or solved threads etc.
But this is not about that, its about the people's choice, so who do you think is the best among the big boys here. (Multiple entries for different forums, not a problem, Include forum name too).

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

OK, we know if we pull out the ranking list, we can see the one with the maximum post, reps or solved threads etc.
But this is not about that, its about the people's choice, so who do you think is the best among the big boys here. (Multiple entries for different forums, not a problem, Include forum name too).

Anyone with a Wikipedia page has to get props in my book.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Koenig_%28programmer%29

arkoenig

I have yet to see mike_2000_17 make a bad post.

Narue too, of course.

If any of these three post in C or C++, you can simply take it as the final word from God.

Member Avatar for diafol

Bit devisive don't you think? Loads of mods jhust get on the the dirty of mopping up spammers, moving threads etc - stuff you don't always get to see. Some are more visible but perhaps don't get through the same workload. Any mods on a forum of this size deserve a medal. Ranking them seems a bit wrong. My 2p.

commented: Agree. +0
commented: abso-diddly-lutely right +0

Secondly, you are more likely to know only mods in your forums of interest, but there more people then these. At the moment there is 20 of mods, 1 supermod and 4 admins. Do you know them all?

Any mods on a forum of this size deserve a medal.

Exactly! I have respect for all of them. But its sad that, my thread was not taken in the meaning it was supposed to be.

What i meant is, something like people's favorite. The one, most popular. Such titles are given at lot of places (Movies, Industries, Schools, colleges etc etc etc)

Well at least that's the only thing we (Other than mods) can know. There is no way, we can know which mode did the most work.

Maybe you people can show some statistics in a regular basis, and show which mod worked the most (Something like "Mod of the week"). After-all the ones working in the background should get some spotlight & should be acknowledged.

Still if my thread was hurtful to anyone around here, I am sorry. At least i didn't mean it that way.

And how, exactly, would you suggest 'work the most' is measured? Time spent online, number of spammers banned, number of PMs read and replied to, yada yada yada.

Seriously, we've been down this road before with threads suggesting some kind of 'best mod' competition or vote and it always ends up the same way, concluding that it's not something that can be done in any meaningful way.

At the end of the day every single mod is an asset to DaniWeb whether they spend an hour a week here or many hours a day. They all devote as much time as they can, free of charge, to help keep the forums running smoothly.

As far as I am concerned they are all number one...

At most this would be a popularity contest, and I think that's what the OP intended.

Maybe you people can show some statistics in a regular basis

Statistics don't say much. Going by numbers, the mod who formats and adds code tags to 100 posts had a greater impact than the mod who proactively banned a single spammer account. But in reality the potential negative effect of letting a spammer run rampant for even an hour makes the net impact of the ban unknowable.

Or consider a mod who resolves disputes through PM versus a mod who polices quality control in forums through replies rather than the infraction system? There are no numbers from that, and thus, no statistics despite the significant amount of effort involved.

After-all the ones working in the background should get some spotlight & should be acknowledged.

It's a thankless job to be sure, but rather than look for the "best" moderator, I think a better way to show your appreciation is simply to thank the whole team. We all work together for the greater good, after all. ;)

If that's how it is......

All i have to say is "Thank U Daniweb & Thank U Modes, You all have my respect".
And i take back my words..... Sorry.....

Member Avatar for diafol

That's it then - we all agree - big thumbs up to each mod, supermod, admin etc - we stump up a virtual beer to you all!

Anyway, perhaps Captain Jake's idea has a side to it. We know very little about some mods, other than their limited profiles and sig links.

We used to have the old newsletters with 'featured posters' - what happened to those? I'm sure contributors would like to know a little bit more about the people who keep DW ticking. How about a 'staff page' or similar? Just a thought...

Maybe we don't want you to know :).

@Ardav

The newsletters are still going out each month, complete with the Member of the Month interview/profile feature.

Member Avatar for diafol

@HG
But where are they - is there a link in DW site?

Maybe we don't want you to know .

There is that, I suppose :)

If you are not getting your newsletter via email then yell in the general direction of Dani and she can look into it in case you have somehow fallen off the distribution list.

Member Avatar for diafol

To quote one Ardav

My mind must be going...
Must have been dwraped. :)
I recall a fiddle with url, but for the life of my I couldn't remember is there used to be a 'newsletters' link somewhere.

Last newsletter I received was 06/11.

Anyway, perhaps Captain Jake's idea has a side to it. We know very little about some mods, other than their limited profiles and sig links.

Call it the motive....

Maybe we don't want you to know :).

That's fine too..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.