Post your bugs here:
My bugs:
  • ADS! - I have ads! - I never used to (being staff)
  • Also, do I really have to do the "Are you human?" capctha - kind of sucks.. also I do not have permission to make new tags? after 16k posts?

Recommended Answers

All 265 Replies

Member Avatar for diafol

http://www.daniweb.com/web-development/php/threads/418407/time-help

I tried pasting my code - and applying code format - but yuck! It won't seem to do it.

Also I have 57 PMs - all the old shite I got rid of in a previous life.

How about permalinks? These don't seem to exist?

Also Edit Post doesn't come up straight away - I have to refresh page as it shows Show Comments.

That blasted - Reason for editing post is now mandatory. I refuse to write anything sensible for this. Waste of time.

Member Avatar for diafol

OK, odd - updating sig now seems to work.
But I get this message every time:

Unable to access an error message corresponding to your field name.

EDIT

Nope - refresh this page and same old sig and same old sig in edit profile. Strange since send form seemed to show the recently changed sig at the time.

login button / jQuery not loading on Google chrome 17.0.936.79 im having to use opera to login here & avatars dont show on chrome unless logged in
also navigation dropdown not working on chrome, was working the other day :d

Member Avatar for diafol

Voting/commenting a little odd. Toggling is fine, but if I leave a comment and then toggle it off again, the supplied comment in the post remains until I refresh. Ajax?

Also get rid of the ADS!!!!! That's one of the reasons I pay sponsorship.

Member Avatar for diafol

My Stats seem to have fallen by the wayside too. I used to have 86% positive, now just 85%. Also, I'm sure my post count ranking was better - maybe not though. But the solved threads rank is missing. I was quite enjoying having a ding-dong between myself (#5) and #6.

Oh, PMs

I can't see any way to delete or do anything with them.
On send a PM - I get the screen 'You're not allowed to do that'

I'll come back in a week I think. Nice coding Dani, but few too many probs to make it enjoyable at the mo.

I see no way to edit a post. How can we do that?

Guys ...

I'm aware the permissions are all wacky right now. Please bare with me!!!!!!

I'll come back in a week I think. Nice coding Dani, but few too many probs to make it enjoyable at the mo.

Most of the issues everyone has been complaining about are related to the wrong permissions. Unfortunately, our dev environment was 64-bit and, unbenouned to me, our production environment is only 32-bit. Therefore, our permission bitsets don't work and everyone is missing half the permissions they're supposed to have. We're going to try to get this resolved for everyone within the next few hours.

Probably not an urgent one but thought I'd point it out anyway, all of my old, deleted PM's are back and set to unread. Luckily I only have 27 to go through (27 in 4.5 years, can it be so few??). Also, I can't see anywhere to delete them?

Also, I can't see anywhere to delete them?

Permissions bug. Will be fixed very soon.

I got 517 PM's :)

Under 'Current Member Activity,' is it meant to have multiple entries for the same user?

Under 'Current Member Activity,' is it meant to have multiple entries for the same user?

Yes, it's meant to be like the old "Spy" that we had that tracked up-to-the-minute status updates of what is going on in real time. If you stay on the page it will automatically update.

commented: I like the spy +0

Can the user IP address be included there as in VB?

Voting/commenting a little odd. Toggling is fine, but if I leave a comment and then toggle it off again, the supplied comment in the post remains until I refresh. Ajax?

In the old system I got complaints that people couldn't undo a comment at all, ever. Now I get complaints that you neeck to click on the "Show Comments" link again to refresh a deleted comment. Geez, I can never win.

Member Avatar for diafol

neeck to click on the "Show Comments" link again to refresh a deleted comment.

No, I need to refresh the page again. Just pointing out what I perceive to be a bug, not a complaint. You don't have to like it. Either leave it or fix it. It's probably one of the least annoying 'bugs' at the moment anyway.

First points noticed:

This post has not line numbers correct:
http://www.daniweb.com/software-development/python/threads/418422/python-3.2.2-question/1#post17841

in it's code. The single 5 in margin looks stupid in margin for short code examples just over five lines,
this is surely going to cause slew of newbies typing the line number in the code.

The Featured Poster sign has gone, does not matter so much, but could give some auctority to posts. Of course if somebody has posted many posts it is reasonable to think that poster has learned something. This Editor seems ot have quite a long line lenghth for wrap and it is disturbing how text gets written to next line and jumps to previous line extending the editing window. It surely causes the posters to hard break their lines inside paragraphs (like my previous one above), which I hate. This is when the browser window is maximized when writing a post.

Reply to this Article (Alt+S) seems confusing in button name of posting a reply as it looks like recursive call to comment yourself. Alt+S invokes still 'Sivuhistoria' Page history in my Firefox in Finnish, so I do not think it is good choice to have keyboard shortcuts of only Alt modifyer.

There is many positive things to this update, at least my impression is lot snappier response compared to old interface. Also many users surely know this markup from other forums and after some getting used to, we are up to speed quickly again. Formatting inside code pasted still does not word to highlight portion of code posted, does it?

Would it be too much trouble to put Code Snippets as second tab in forum posting browsing tabs. Other stuff are much more rarely used (Tutorials, News etc)

One more bug now noticed:

If you click WATCHED ARTICLES then articles otherwise marked read in Forum seem to have unread messages (The purple icons)

Takes effort to iron out the clitches, but do not be discouraged. These bugs reports can give negative spirit, but remember then those times when you got upset for not finding bugs, much worse, wasn't it? Make your priority list and take your time, I am sure everything goes well little by little. Thanks for your hard work Dani!

(BTW same for this editing window, I would prefer Commit Edits instead of Edit Post as button label)

The expreriment with code snippets seem to indicate that copy/paste of code is not working, but it messes up the indentation, like this:

import itertools
    def generate():
    """Main program, gets user info and generates alternatives"""
    ch = sorted(set(raw_input("characters to try: ")))
    num = int(raw_input("max length: "))
    # skip trivial 1..3 letter words
    for base in itertools.chain(itertools.product(ch, repeat=n) for n in range(4, num+1)):
    for w in base:
    print ''.join(w)
    raw_input("done.....")
    generate()

Copy pasted from http://www.daniweb.com/software-development/python/code/389907/brute-forcing-word-list-attack-vector. Indented by Code button. BTW how I specify the language used in code?

The cjheckboxes in my profile cannot be changed. Clicking save gives

"Unable to access an error message corresponding to your field name."

Innovative (mis)use of the Vote & Comment -mechanism appears to be on the rise ;) See e.g. the comment on my second post in this thread. I'd imagine that a dedicated Reply -button on a per-post basis will be necessary? As a band-aid, maybe it would help to display only Vote instead of Vote & Comment?

All in all, IMHO, there's been a huge improvement when it comes to Daniweb's visual appearance - much Kudos for that. (Although, blaming Daniweb for being exhaustively purple'ish can still be justified, so to speak.)

Is there a way to see the threads by last post first in the new system ?

Not presently, but that wouldn't be a difficult feature to add. Can I get a rain check until we clear up some of the post-deployment hiccups? :)

commented: ok +0

To add to bug lists ('Dont worry, be happy!') in appropriate low priority:
The preview picture of URL link is showing the main page of the site, not the linked page, linking to this topic in this forum:This post

Actually, I get a broken image. But that still counts as a bug, so it's being added to the list. :D

Another bug/missing feature is the lack of filtering for private messages. I think it's confusing now because we sort by unread first, then read, but there's no option to view either unread or read.

Before:

1. unread A
  2. unread B
  3. unread C
  4. read D
  5. read E
  6. read F

After reading A:

1. unread B
  2. unread C
  3. read A
  4. read D
  5. read E
  6. read F

If you have multiple pages then A will seem to disappear after reading it.

The preview picture of URL link is showing the main page of the site,

Thumbnails are not captured for every page of every site. Unless it is a high traffic page, the domain's homepage is always used in the screenshot. It's always been this way.

Indented by Code button. BTW how I specify the language used in code?

I will provide documentation on that soon.

Innovative (mis)use of the Vote & Comment -mechanism appears to be on the rise ;)

I am confused by the confusion. Click an arrow to just leave a vote. Hover over an arrow and fill out the comment box to leave a comment with your vote. I don't see what's confusing about it?

The bottom toolbar at the bottom will most likely make a comeback with this information.

Another bug/missing feature is the lack of filtering for private messages. I think it's confusing now because we sort by unread first, then read, but there's no option to view either unread or read.

Very few members, as it turns out, have multiple pages :) But this is more of a usability issue than a real bug, since it's working as intended. :) It was just poorly designed I guess.

Hi! I love the new site - very nice-looking.

I got an issue when I tried to update my avatar - just look to the left and see. :P

I'm on firefox 10.0.2 on Ubuntu LTS 10.04 with noscript disabled. I tried uploading pngs and jpgs between 50x50 and 100x100 to no avail.

Thanks for all your hard work, Dani! Let's party in IRC next time you get a break. :P

I am confused by the confusion. Click an arrow to just leave a vote. Hover over an arrow and fill out the comment box to leave a comment with your vote. I don't see what's confusing about it?

At least Rasool Ahmed used the voting system as a means to reply to my post (apparently strictly due to the lack of a dedicated Reply -button). So, I was left with a downvote attached with the comment "do you have some examples?". IMO, a more intuitive solution is likely to be in order.

By the way, I'd like to upload an avatar but don't remember the limitations i.e. max. kilobytes/pixels?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.