I held these until the shakedown was fairly complete. Here are a few of the useful but dropped functions that IMO need to be reimplmented. But #1 is in fact a bug:

1) Any threads I post in are never marked NEW. For the threads I haven't posted in it's a crap shoot whether they are marked NEW or not. Most threads, no matter how many times I mark the forum read, show up as NEW. This might be tied to whether I actually looked at the thread. If I mark the forum read, all threads should be marked as read permanently until a new post is made.

2) The NEW/Target Icon needs to jump to first unread post. The technique with the current setup is
a- click on the message title
b- click on the LAST page if necessary
c- try to remember what message was last seen and/or how long ago the thead was looked at (with vague HOUR and DAY indicators)
d- if necessary, click back a page and scroll all the way to the bottom to find that last post.
This is a HUGE PITA! 2-3 clicks, sh!t loads of scrolling, and memory excercises. Not user friendly.

3) Please add the post number back into the post header. It's really helpful to see what post # is being looked at.

4) I QUOTE a lot so there is no confusion as to what I am referring to in my responses. Highlight- copy- paste- highlight again- click quote is not an adequate replacement for a single Reply with Quote button.

5) Please remove the personal avatar in the reply section. Since it is not yet a reply, it is confusing and unnecessary. A blank DaniWeb avatar would be better -- maybe one that simply says Post a reply here

6) Keystrokes are needed for italic, bold, inline code, and CODE tagging, as well as most of the markdown commands. And, as in the previous editor, clicking one of these commands should add the fence characters to the message and leave the cursor between them, and not add messages like Emphasized Text Here. This just causes more unnecessary keystrokes to move into the 'edit' zone and delete the text

7) In CODE tags, make the font a bit smaller. The code seems to be larger than the post font since it's non-proportional. Dropping the CODE font will make the code fit better on the page and IMO makes it easier to read/follow -- with less line-wrapping.

8) Add Mark Forum Read link at the top of the page so we don't have to scroll so far if there were only 3 NEW threads. This has been a pain ever since the old re-do.

Enough for now...

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

1. Known bug. Will be fixed.
  2. There are no plans for this to currently be implemented. It would require a database schema redesign and there is no easy way to currently tell what is the last post for each individual member.
  3. This hasn't existed for about two years for SEO reasons.
  4. An easier Quote method will be implemented, but it will most likely not allow you to quote an entire post, because I hated vBulletin's implementation of post quoting. It will most likely be limited to quoting a paragraph at a time, or something like that.
  5. Sorry :)
  6. For bold, italic, code, etc., you can currently highlight exiting code and then click the button in the editor toolbar, and the formatting will be applied to the highlighted text. It is currently planned for the Insert Blah Here to be selected upon clicking the button, so that you can start typing immediately and it will replace the dummy text. However, it shouldn't be that hard to type an asterisk or a backtick without having to lift your hand off the keyboard at all. The new Editor toolbar is really only designed for newbies as a quick FAQ.
  7. At least for the time being, I've decided to keep all the exact same fonts and font sizes as in the old DaniWeb.
  8. Sorry :)

5) annoying, but I can live with it.

4) Agree completly with Walt. There must be an easier way top quote someone other than manually copy/paste Since you hate vBulletin's implementation, maybe a copy button that only copies/paste highlighted text.

Since you hate vBulletin's implementation, maybe a copy button that only copies/paste highlighted text.

That's an interesting idea. I was toying with the idea of having it do a paragraph-at-a-time, only, but I actually like that idea much more.

With regards to point #5, a lot of research studies actually went into proving that this encourages people to post. Facebook actually uses this same technique for their Comments plug-in.

For psycology/marketing motivated choices I suggest to accept Dani's solutions.

For me what matters most is only that if you hit Code and after paste my code it works in

1. VB forum with 'Comment here (does not matter for me personally, but seems really biggest problem of the system at the moment)
  2. Python code with immediate mode prompts >>>
  3. Does not mess Python indenting.

I can type star of backtick even (hideous dead key sequence) from keyboard, but I would be gratefull to hit tab without having one in my mobile (both physical and virtual keyboards do not have TAB key). Same kind of thing would be copy to clipboard functionality accessable from my mobile as double clicking is reserved for zoom in / out.

Tony,

1 is on the todo list already. What do you mean with 2 and 3? I don't understand?

You can also click and drag to select text, and then hit the Code button in the editor toolbar instead of hitting tab.

Why do you need to copy code to the clipboard on your mobile? Your mobile doesn't have an IDE that would make it easier to edit/run code?? Also, I think that might be limited just to your mobile device. Seems to work on the iPad/iPhone.

Possibly an add-on to 1: I regularly see people as the last posted on the right, who aren't even in the thread. For example, here in Community Center, the second thread "New Editor Functionality' marks "bedexchange" as the last poster.

I think that's a known bug. I deleted posts made by "bedexchange" on this sub-forum since they were breaking the rules but the forum view still hows his name even though the post no longer exists. I thought this was just a problem for admins/moderators but seems that isn't the case here.

The Python >>> goes actually ok with TAB Code blocks, but with fencing code blocks get little distracting looking as it shows them triple comments. No deal really.

Copy paste from code snippets is maybe quite marginal case, ignore it. It would only be needed out of computer to copy paste code for commenting to OP in my own post without quoting in current reply system.

3rd point is just thrown in noise, sorry about it (to quote somebody ;) )

The NEW/Target Icon needs to jump to first unread post. The technique with the current setup is
a- click on the message title
b- click on the LAST page if necessary
c- try to remember what message was last seen and/or how long ago the thead was looked at (with vague HOUR and DAY indicators)
d- if necessary, click back a page and scroll all the way to the bottom to find that last post.
This is a HUGE PITA! 2-3 clicks, sh!t loads of scrolling, and memory excercises. Not user friendly.

_

There are no plans for this to currently be implemented

There's not?! I sincerely thought that this was a bug... I'm a bit disappointed now :(

I asked it quite a while back here and was told it might pop up in a week or so after critical issues are taken care of. Sorely disappointed that it won't be. I think this is a pretty basic feature supported by a lot of forum packages out there. Hope it makes its way into the TODO list...

I still need to fix the bugs with marking a thread/forum read. It's still quite possible that I'll figure out a way to implement it while I'm working on that, since they're interrelated. As of right now though, it's not a UI issue that the icon doesn't do anything. The issue is that there is currently no ability to figure out which post in an article is new.

2) Steps a and b can be combined into a single click by clicking the last post time rather than the thread title which takes you striaght to the last post.

Of course that doesn't really help that much in a thread with lots of posts where you have to try and find the last post you haven't read.

Also I would like have the "last editted by.... on ... reason: ....." message back, if it's not to big of a problem.

5) Please remove the personal avatar in the reply section.

My instant reaction was that I could live with my avatar in this position but would prefer it to be at 50% opacity. That would neatly reflect the "not yet a post" status of [text in] the editor.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.