Im kind of confused because now Im posting Articles instead of threads, posts, etc....and when I try to use tags and stuff, it doesnt act like it normally does.

Any way to go back to the old way?

Recommended Answers

All 31 Replies

There is no way back, this is the new DaniWeb. Articles are no different to posts, and a thread is just a bunch of related articles in the same way it was a bunch of related posts before. What problems are you having with using tags?

Article is a more generic term for the same things you're familiar with. Threads are articles, news stories are articles, white papers are articles, code snippets are articles, etc... Articles may also contain replies, which are post; this makes sense because Daniweb is a discussion community. ;)

and when I try to use tags and stuff, it doesnt act like it normally does.

Can you elaborate? We didn't really make any big design changes to the way tagging works.

Any way to go back to the old way?

Nope. The old way used a heavily customized vBulletin as the back-end, and it was far too limiting. Now we have a custom solution on the back-end which is far more suitable for our needs. Because it's completely ours and written to suit our needs, we're in a much better position to implement complex features that simply weren't possible because of vBulletin.

So feel free to ask for stuff. :)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

I tried using the basic quote tags and they don't work and are displayed literal....

It was broke. Very broke...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Rest assured that the decision to dump vBulletin and start over from scratch wasn't made lightly.

I tried using the basic quote tags and they don't work and are displayed literal....

BBCode no longer works, we've moved to a new system called Markdown. And no offense, but shouldn't you take the time to learn the new system and give it an honest try before complaining about it? The general response among those who have done so has been almost completely positive (and that was before we fixed the inital rollout bugs).

Try the new formatting help link

I'd like to see that link made a sticky somewhere so that we can refer to it easily.

I'd like to see that link made a sticky somewhere so that we can refer to it easily.

It appears within every single editor, right above the Undo/Redo buttons. Certainly easier to find than a sticky ;)

Duuh! I see it now.

Im kind of confused because now Im posting Articles instead of threads, posts, etc

Have to agree, "article" is not a good generic term. In forums, "topic" or "thread" are the accepted terms.

To most English speakers I would guess that "article" means something in a newspaper/magazine written by a journalist. Thus "article" works as a descriptor for specific types of topic such as code snippets where the author is essentially publishing his thoughts/ideas/wisdom as opposed to the majority of Daniweb topics which are question/answer.

"Article" does not correctly convey the nature of multi-post entities that are primarily interactive and discussive.

Have to agree, "article" is not a good generic term. In forums, "topic" or "thread" are the accepted terms.

Blame Dani, we used her preferred terminology in the back end (everything derives from an article) and let it filter to the frond end. ;) Ultimately it's cosmetic, and should there prove to be excessive confusion the front end will be tweaked to use the most familiar terms. But in the meantime, "article" is our term for an initial article (whether it be a thread, a news story, a code snippet, etc...) and the attached replies constituting subsequent discussion.

Member Avatar for diafol

I have to agree with Airshow. Article does suggest (to me anyway) a 'standalone' piece. OK I know blog entries and reports usually have comment sections, but you get what I mean. When moderating there's the dropdwon choice of 'Type of Article' - Discussion Thread or Code Snippet. I suppose you had to call it something.

In the world of front-end web development, the Open Graph Protocol, developed by Facebook and standardized by Google, classifies any single body of content as an "article". According to the Open Graph Protocol, available types of "objects" on the web are limited to being classified as one of the following: website, music, video, article, book, profile.

Objects of the article type, for example, contain the following properties: published_time; modified_time; expiration_time; author; section; tag. The article type makes the most sense to describe a collection of content on DaniWeb, whether it is a forum discussion thread, news story with comments, code snippet with comments, tutorial, etc.

With regards to those pointing out confusion in that an article suggests a "standalone piece" while forum threads are composed of multiple posts, think of it this way: Everything that we do and the way that our rules have always been designed revolves around ensuring that there is no break in flow of conversation. In most ways, an entire discussion is considered one single entity since each post alone is meaningless and out of context. Ultimately, individual posts are not much different than individual sentences extracted from a news story or tutorial.

But DaniWeb is more than just forums. I agree with you that in the context of forums, topic or thread are the accepted terms. We do use the term "discussion thread" to describe our forum discussion threads.

But we also have news stories, and product reviews, and code snippets, and white papers, etc. We use the generic term "article" to essentially be a super-type to describe any of these entities.

Member Avatar for diafol

Fair one Dani. I appreciate the fact that you're following a pattern/guidelines and as I mentioned you have to call it somthing. It just seems to me that to the average user your rationale may not be obvious. I've mentioned the word 'article' instead of thread when posting - oops - replying; but it feels a little clunky - a little grandiose maybe. I think the terms post and reply aren't synonymous though. The original post can't be the original reply. And the thread starter still sounds better than article starter for some reason.

In the world of front-end web development, the Open Graph Protocol, developed by Facebook and standardized by Google, classifies any single body of content as an "article". According to the Open Graph Protocol, available types of "objects" on the web are limited to being classified as one of the following: website, music, video, article, book, profile. Objects of the article type, for example, contain the following properties: published_time; modified_time; expiration_time; author; section; tag. The article type makes the most sense to describe a collection of content on DaniWeb, whether it is a forum discussion thread, news story with comments, code snippet with comments, tutorial, etc. With regards to those pointing out confusion in that an article suggests a "standalone piece" while forum threads are composed of multiple posts, think of it this way: Everything that we do and the way that our rules have always been designed revolves around ensuring that there is no break in flow of conversation. In most ways, an entire discussion is considered one single entity since each post alone is meaningless and out of context. Ultimately, individual posts are not much different than individual sentences extracted from a news story or tutorial.

The link still says "threads" because as such these are still threads. I understand your explanation and even though OPG works for Facebook, its not the same as a thread. In FB for example, there is no formatting, there is no quoting, there is no code posting. The objects (or metatags) are nice of course to categorize everything but although internally it may be nice, how many other websites (or better put, forums) use this system? AFAIK, this is the only forum that sees everything as articles.

A post: A a user-submitted message enclosed into a block containing the user's details and the date and time it was submitted

An article: A written work published in a print or electronic medium.

Yes, a car and a quad with a roof over it would be the same thing but.....

Not sure. I think maybe it should given some thought or at least a option.
Was this only internally talked about or was it a public choice? I might not have read it....

AFAIK, this is the only forum that sees everything as articles

No, it's not, but probably the first large one that does ;)

Not sure. I think maybe it should given some thought or at least a option.

Um, it's totally cosmetic. Even if we treat everything as articles under the hood, simply changing a few labels to say "thread" instead of "article" would make the "a thread is an article" thing invisible. Like I said, if it causes too much confusion we'll change the labels and the problem goes away. ;)

AFAIK, this is the only forum that sees everything as articles.

Or maybe it's just the only one you've seen that exposes that choice to end users. ;)

No, it's not, but probably the first large one that does ;)

Thats why I mentioned that AFAIK. What other site does this?

Or maybe it's just the only one you've seen that exposes that choice to end users. ;)

Thats a complete different topic.

On the backend of sites, I dont think anyone cares if they are articles, posts, threads, links, etc.....
BUT on the frontend of things, people are used to seeing threads, posts, etc....

I think the terms post and reply aren't synonymous though. The original post can't be the original reply.

They're not. I never said they were. :) Every individual post is a post. Replies are everything that but the first one in an article. I can reply to a discussion thread. I can also reply to a news story. I can post a new discussion thread. I can also post a new news story.

how many other websites (or better put, forums) use this system?

While developed by Facebook, the OPG project is currently being standardized by Google, who is encouraging it to be used on every site on the web as part of a website's SEO efforts. For starters, Xenforo, the new forum system being touted as the successor to vBulletin (written by vBulletin developers when they sold vB two years ago) uses it under-the-hood, although cosmetically they still go by 'thread' on the "start new thread" button itself. Funnily, vBulletin 4 decided to start using OPG directives now as well.

vBulletin 4 also recently introduced the ability to create non-thread content which they call articles, a la DaniWeb. Invision Power Board (the other big forum system out there) is now doing the same thing.

It's actually really being quite standardized across all major forum platforms to have "not just threads" and to call the non-discussion items "articles".

Like I said, if it causes too much confusion we'll change the labels

While it is cosmetic, this currently isn't something I'd be willing to do for SEO reasons. This is currently what Google is moving to standardize, and all other major players are following suit. Also, it actually would not make sense to me to make EVERYTHING a "thread". It doesn't make sense to have a news story thread or a product review thread, for example?

Also, it actually would not make sense to me to make EVERYTHING a "thread".

The implication was that labels would adjust according to the entity being described, not that everything would become a thread.

Oh, you mean so the "Reply to this Article" button were changed "Reply to this Blah"? The "Contribute new Article" button would have to remain as is because you can contribute any Blah from the dropdown list.

Member Avatar for diafol

I think the terms post and reply aren't synonymous though. The original post can't be the original reply.

I was referring to this post/reply:

... Articles may also contain replies, which are post; this makes sense because ...

Perhaps I misunderstood. Probably...

They're not. I never said they were. :) Every individual post is a post. Replies are everything that but the first one in an article. I can reply to a discussion thread. I can also reply to a news story. I can post a new discussion thread. I can also post a new news story.

See here is the thing: You cant reply to a news story as it is not something that is directed for conversation.

Imagine a news story as a sign: A sign says for example "No swimming here". You dont communicate with that because it is a one way conversation. You can COMMENT it saying "I dont agree with it" but the sign

While developed by Facebook, the OPG project is currently being standardized by Google, who is encouraging it to be used on every site on the web as part of a website's SEO efforts. For starters, Xenforo, the new forum system being touted as the successor to vBulletin (written by vBulletin developers when they sold vB two years ago) uses it under-the-hood, although cosmetically they still go by 'thread' on the "start new thread" button itself. Funnily, vBulletin 4 decided to start using OPG directives now as well. vBulletin 4 also recently introduced the ability to create non-thread content which they call articles, a la DaniWeb. Invision Power Board (the other big forum system out there) is now doing the same thing. It's actually really being quite standardized across all major forum platforms to have "not just threads" and to call the non-discussion items "articles".

See but you are saying it yourself: It gives you the option to make a article or a thread. Thats the part I think that is most important. You want to make the "default" a article (even if I disagree) I completely understand. But as I said, DaniWeb is the only forum ive seen to make only articles (I havent see any other forums with articles at all).
I also commented before that Facebook's posting system is not like a thread: You do not quote. As a matter of fact, you almost dont even reply: You just comment. Can I comment be considered a reply? Debatable.

While it is cosmetic, this currently isn't something I'd be willing to do for SEO reasons. This is currently what Google is moving to standardize, and all other major players are following suit. Also, it actually would not make sense to me to make EVERYTHING a "thread". It doesn't make sense to have a news story thread or a product review thread, for example?

But it doesnt make sense thread to make a question thread a article either.......

But it doesnt make sense thread to make a question thread a article either.......

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. So far the only one who has really been bothered by the terminology is you. ;)

Besides the article choice, the editor is possible the worst Ive seen in my life, including old school boards. AT LEAST, the choice of writing plain text (where we can use our classic [quote][/quote] tags) would be nice. This is just horrible.

See here is the thing: You cant reply to a news story as it is not something that is directed for conversation

Really? Tell that to the hundreds (thousands?) of news sites online which allow commenting on news stories. It's one of the (many) differentiators between the static press and the dynamism of online news media.

Besides the article choice, the editor is possible the worst Ive seen in my life, including old school boards.

The editor and preview are a primary focus for improvement, but it's not going to appeal to everyone. That just goes with the territory. ;) We welcome any and all suggestions for improvements and new features, but if all of your suggestions amount to "let's go back to the old way", you're probably going to be disappointed.

I hated Markdown with a passion when I first encountered it. After about 20 posts I started to like certain features and now, after maybe a couple of hundres posts, have to say I prefer Markdown to BBCode. backtick-backtick for inline code is particularly cool, and bulleted lists are MUCH easier (though I have yet to learn how to do nested lists).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.