Slowly but surely, I'm making changes to our editor to get it up to speed with other editors out there. Firstly, I made the font size for the live preview larger at I forget who's recommendation (sorry!). You can click on it to hide the preview so it doesn't get in the way while you're doing other things on the page, but it will reappear as soon as you start typing again.

Secondly, I "fixed" the behavior of some of the buttons. (Not all are done yet!) But now if you click on Bold, Italic, Inline Code, Link, Heading or Sub-Heading, you can toggle them on and off. Still working on Code, Quote, and List!

The Code button has additional functionality as well, in that if you click on it without selecting anything first, it will popup a new modal window for you to enter code to be inserted. Hopefully this will be easier for newbies.

The Link button also operates differently, so give it a shot.

Also, some of the buttons are mapped to keyboard shortcuts now.

Bold => Ctrl/Cmd + B
Italic => Ctrl/Cmd + I
Link => Ctrl/Cmd + L
Heading => Ctrl/Cmd + H
Inline Code => Ctrl/Cmd + K (This may change to trigger a new code block, we'll see. You can already hit Tab to trigger a code block so I thought another keyboard shortcut would be redundant, but now I'm rethinking having something available to trigger the new code modal window.)

Ctrl/Cmd + Q will be available for Quotes in the near future. And something TBD for Lists as well.

zeroliken commented: great new editor :) +0
TrustyTony commented: The Code window will really change our lives! +0

Recommended Answers

All 29 Replies

Member Avatar for diafol

problem with editor in CHrome, possibly others with navigation arrows - back doesn't seem to work and that then stops the backspace from working. I cvan only delete by overwriting (highlight text then overwrite).

Firstly, I made the font size for the live preview larger at I forget who's recommendation (sorry!)

Hey, that was me! :)

Ardav: Try force refreshing the page; I faced the same issues when trying out things in chrome but the refresh fixed it.

BTW Dani, there is another issue: I can't seem to copy-paste text in the text area on Chrome. Pressing CTRL + V just positions the cursor at the start of the text area.

I can't seem to copy-paste text in the text area on Chrome. Pressing CTRL + V just positions the cursor at the start of the text area.

Same for Opera.

I love the new change for code tags :) :) :) And the ability to hide preview. The backspace key doesn't work in Chrome. but it works ok with IE9

And the ability to hide preview

How ? Oh... Never mind... Would be extremely nice to be able to set it permanently in the profile options.

Couldn't paste with ctrl+v in IE9 either, but the popup menu paste works there.

New Link is excellent :)

OK, I'll look into why copy and paste doesn't work. It's working fine on my mac but it will have to wait until I get into the office to test it with IE 9.

I'm using Chrome on a mac and the backspace/delete key works fine. Sorry for redoing all of the key mapping guys!

I just made a change. Let me know if the key bindings are working now.

Member Avatar for diafol

Seems fine now (well, the key combos I use anyway). Chrome. Opera. IE9. Safari. Firefox (all latest).

me know if the key bindings are working now.

Yes, backspace works now on Chrome.

Dani: Any plans to add Facebook interface? Such as Like button, and FB Connect button?

Like the one at the bottom of the page?

Yes, like that one :)

Maybe add the keyboard-shortcut as a mouseover on the buttons in the editor?

Maybe add the keyboard-shortcut as a mouseover on the buttons in the editor?

I'm holding off doing that until I finish the editor and get all of the keyboard shortcuts I want working correctly.

Member Avatar for diafol

ctrl+V now works. :)

Progress

Looking good Dani. Thanks for the kbd shortcuts. Working perfectly here (Opera).

Codemirror and Preview

I guess it was a conscious decision to go for WYSIWYG/highlighting (Codemirror) as well as a Markdown preview pane. Personally I would be happy with just the preview (that's what I'm used to elsewhere), though I appreciate you've put effort into getting both aspects working together and WYSIWYG/highlighting is actually well cool. But if you desperately needed to shed some workload, dropping Codemirror would not be a disaster.

Headings

Headings are neat. I will be using them a lot.

But if you desperately needed to shed some workload, dropping Codemirror would not be a disaster.

I would drop the preview before I dropped CodeMirror :(

There's another aspect I forgot to mention. Codemirror suppresses the browser's spellchecker highlighting. For many that will be a big negative.

Member Avatar for diafol

Can I ask why is there need for both (Codemirror and preview)? They're essentially doing the same thing aren't they? I find it a bit of a phaph having to scroll down the page on a long post to get to the reply button. OK, not a massive issue.

Codemirror suppresses the browser's spellchecker highlighting

Then, drop the codemirror, IMO.

Member Avatar for diafol

I'm probably of an accord Mike, however, that wouldn't solve my finickity issue with scrolling. BUT, more importantly, I seem to get odd WYSIWYG when typing: $_SESSION['something'] - the array key gets underlined as an url and the following text is in red. Try it.

I find it a bit of a phaph having to scroll down the page on a long post to get to the reply button.

When you're done typing your post, click on the preview, and it will hide itself, so you don't have to do any scrolling. I am not promoting this because I want newbies to be forced to scroll past their posts to make sure they look okay before hitting submit.

Codemirror suppresses the browser's spellchecker highlighting. For many that will be a big negative.

Yeah, I agree. I hate that. :( Working on some options.

I would get rid of the preview before getting rid of CodeMirror just because the preview is buggy in the sense that what you see isn't always what you end up getting. It renders things slightly different from our backend parser.

Member Avatar for diafol

Or just hit Alt+S to submit! ;)

Aha! Nice one.

//Grrr Dani what you doin again? Now I get a login box below the preview. Just can't help yourself can you? :)

Sorry about that. ;) But now that feature is implemented and guests can post. Yay!

I would get rid of the preview before getting rid of CodeMirror just because ...

Ah thanks Dani, I understand your reasoning now. Makes sense, but I'm guessing you're fairly committed to both preview and CodeMirror - given that's where the site is at.

Good to know you have something in mind re spellchecker highlighting. I suppose a cheap option would be to toggle between CodeMirror and the raw underlying Textarea ... assuming that's viable?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.