Inline Tags need to keep spacing for 2 reasons
1) they are the only way we can officially quote code
2) whether one line or an entire block of code, spacing can be important. It's CODE after all.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

1. I'm not a fan of quoting code in the first place ;)
  2. One of the most important policies I am trying to adhere strongly to is maintaining a uniform standard with the rest of the web. Inline code uses the <code> HTML tag. The W3C has defined the HTML standard so that the <code> HTML tag, whose official role is that it "defines a piece of computer code," is meant for inline code and strips whitespace.

Then we need some way to post lines without stripping spaces since we cannot use CODE.

The vertical spacing is bad, and we can't use it 'in context':
cx += testval is the way to add to cx

This thread is what prompts the request.
Normal CODE Tags are too limiting -- I didn't want to use them as a hack.

Inline CODE is still code - by definition. Spacing should be honored.

Inline CODE is still code - by definition. Spacing should be honored.

Take it up with the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) that defines the HTML language and disagrees with you.

The vertical spacing is bad, and we can't use it 'in context':

Not sure what you mean by the vertical spacing being bad. In the post that you linked me to, written by you, it makes sense for it to be written the way it is, with the exception of 10 * sqrt 25 + 3 perhaps being written inline.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.