Anyone notice Dani's hard work yesterday? When starting a new thread it.........

Anyone?

Buler? Buler?

I wanted it, she coded it, nobody noticed it! C'mon guys, I know somebody saw...

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Member Avatar for LastMitch

@PRdude

Anyone notice Dani's hard work yesterday? When starting a new thread it.........

It's not a surprise because she's always work this hard and she made changes daily.

Terrible, isn't it :) I knew you guys don't ever start new threads!! You should, you should!

Tries to think of a random topic to start a thread on

Nope I can't think of one. Do tell what said feature is.

Still it is nice to have those suggestions on earlier threads jump to suprise you ;) Only I hope newbies do not become afraid to post new thread and jump to those and resurrect them from dead.

Here one example case very dear to all moderators, I am sure. (no I did not post it) Clipboard018

It doesn't seem to list code snippets, is that correct? If so, wouldn't that be a logical first choice?

Update: Removed tutorials from my original statement, because sometimes they show, but it would be nice to have them on top.

Oh, if there only was nothing to whine about ;)

Now just to do home work copy paste recognition and just give them quote from rules!

P.S. Are there tic tac toe threads in PHP also? ;)

It doesn't seem to list code snippets, is that correct? If so, wouldn't that be a logical first choice?

It fetches a mix of all discussion threads and articles, including code snippets and tutorials. The list is sorted by relevancy.

Only I hope newbies do not become afraid to post new thread and jump to those and resurrect them from dead.

The idea is to ENCOURAGE this! We want people to "search before they post" and, if a similar question alredy exists, to continue the discussion in the existing thread instead of starting a new one asking the exact same question all over again (as long as they aren't hijacking the thread with something unrelated). This way, everything about a particular question is all in one place.

Remember, over 95% of the people who receive help on DaniWeb are NOT the ones who are posting. If we can keep all the information pertaining to a single question in one place, then it will make for a better experience for everyone looking for the answer.

commented: nice feature! +0
commented: good feature +0
Member Avatar for diafol

If we can keep all the information pertaining to a single question in one place, then it will make for a better experience for everyone looking for the answer.

Me likes. Although I hate necroposters, I see the point. As long as they're on topic, that is.

From the perspective of people answering the questions, I think they would rather not have to keep answering the same thing over and over again, instead of having a single discussion related to the same topic.

And from the perspective of people looking for answers, I think they want to see everything in one place.

I don't understand why people don't like threads that are resurrected, as long as the replies are relevant. I think it's nothing but useful and helpful.

I don't understand why people don't like threads that are resurrected, as long as the replies are relevant. I think it's nothing but useful and helpful.

What about the threads that are solved and resurrected and still people ask the post same questions even though the topic is answer in a different way that it doesn't answer their questions so they still post the question either way?

I like the feature that you installed, it's nice. I will post new thread(s) and test out the new feature soon.

I think it's fine that people ask the same question posed multiple ways. I would just PREFER to keep an ongoing discussion of the same topic in a single thread, which I think this feature encourages. Essentially it's the next logical step to the "search before you post" request.

@Dani

I think it's fine that people ask the same question posed multiple ways. I would just PREFER to keep an ongoing discussion of the same topic in a single thread, which I think this feature encourages.

It's reasonable.

Essentially it's the next logical step to the "search before you post" request.

When will that feature come to in effect?

I don't want to be nosy.

May I ask how long did it took you to do this feature?

When PRdude said this:

I wanted it, she coded it, nobody noticed it! C'mon guys, I know somebody saw...

I feel PRdude bragging about this feature even though I feel he didn't do much.

PRdude works with me in the office as DaniWeb's COO. In a conversation in the office, he came up with the idea and mentioned to me that he wanted this feature. I started working on it the next afternoon, and it took about two hours to code. Often times, the tough part is coming up with the ideas for feature requests even more than the actual work that goes into implementing them.

Looks like a nifty feature Dani. Hopefully this can also motivate the posters to at least read the similar threads rather than jumping the gun and saying "me too" when the answer is right in front of them. :/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.