A question came up in the geeks lounge about answering posts with a simple "just google it". There were concerns about directing traffic away from DaniWeb. I made a suggestion there that I thought I'd repeat here.

When someone posts a question that has been answered before, instead of posting "just google it you lazy sod", go to Google and type in the search phrase, then follow it by "site:www.daniweb.com". Click search, then copy and paste the resulting URL in the reply. That way, when the OP clicks on your link, he/she will be given only hits from DaniWeb. The user gets directed to the appropriate threads and traffic is not directed away from this site.

Example:

Direct the OP to DaniWeb threads about SQL Injection attacks

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

Umm ... why not just use our internal search engine at that point?

I haven't read the other thread, but I don't see an issue with directing traffic away from DaniWeb as long as it is useful. For example, if I post a question, and someone replies saying "I found the answer on Stack Overflow. Here's a link to the question/answer over there" then I'll be very grateful for the answer. On the other hand, I find comments such as "just google it" to be rude.

On the other hand, I find comments such as "just google it" to be rude.

I was referring to that scenario mainly where its rude and counter productive to the goal of the site.

. . . I made a suggestion . . . , go to Google and type in the search phrase, then follow it by "site:www.daniweb.com".

Perhaps a custom Google search function could be added to these forums?
I see this feature on many other forums. Even though they have the search function that comes with the forum, under the pull-down menu is also the option to perform a custom Google search, which by default confines the search to the forums.

Our in house search functionality is already powered by Google.

I was about to reply "I've had limited success with the built-in search" but I figured before I shot my mouth off yet again I'd better verify. It now works flawlessly. Perhaps that Ghostery problem (that was interfering with file attachments) was also causing my search problem.

The primary reason we offer the ability for members to disable advertising from their member profile is because I would much rather you do that than use an ad blocker. I hate ad blockers with a passion because I find that they never manipulate the page correctly and often cause more issues than than fix.

Ghostery, as I understand it, is not an ad blocker. It disables tracking software. In any case, I whitelisted DaniWeb.

On the other hand, I find comments such as "just google it" to be rude.

In some cases, yes. For example, with those having a somehow complex problem and not knowing how to approach it.
But, in most of the cases, Google is the OP's friend.
I see a lot of posts, which could be easily solved with a quick search. Instead, the OP's post their questions, without even bothering searching them on Google or on {insert your favourite search engine} as they expect to be spoon-fed.
I think that "sending" op's to search for their answers first might be helpful in these kind of situations.

Umm ... why not just use our internal search engine at that point?

I do give the exact link from daniweb in the situations when the OP states that he/she searched throughout the site, and didn't find any thread related to his/her problem.

Ghostery, as I understand it, is not an ad blocker. It disables tracking software.

They work on the exact same premise. They're just marketed differently :)

Lucaci Andrew,

I find it a bit absurd that, if someone is frustrated with a problem, their first line of attack wouldn't be to Google search for the solution. It seems like it's almost a given that they would do that before taking the time to go to DaniWeb, sign up, figure out how to post, typing out a question, and knowing that they now have to wait for a response and aren't going to get super instant gratification. Besides, most likely they found DaniWeb from a Google search in the first place, meaning that they did Google search?

It seems like it's almost a given that they would do that before taking the time to go to DaniWeb, sign up, figure out how to post, typing out a question, and knowing that they now have to wait for a response and aren't going to get super instant gratification. Besides, most likely they found DaniWeb from a Google search in the first place, meaning that they did Google search?

That was my point in the other thread I started. I think we have to keep in mind that many visitors that visit this forum for the first time, may be the first time they ever visited a forum. So their initial question may be vague, or they just dont have the experience with forum best practices, etc..

As you mentioned, new forum members probably found daniweb through a google search. Now they arrive, possibly without any forum ediquette... and the first response they receive is basically, "go google it".

oh well... i just found it to be an interesting thought for discussion.

As you mentioned, new forum members probably found daniweb through a google search. Now they arrive, possibly without any forum ediquette... and the first response they receive is basically, "go google it".

My point is that you're sending them an infinite loop. :-P

Maybe the real problem is that young people (high school age and younger) just don't have enough experience using computers to know how to google for their questions. Sure they are well versed in how to play games and post in Facebook, but how to do something useful may be another matter. I know how to boil water without burning it, but don't ask me to make a pot roast.

If I'm ever invited to your place for dinner, I'll bring the pot roast ;-P

Maybe the real problem is that young people (high school age and younger) just don't have enough experience using computers to know how to google for their questions. Sure they are well versed in how to play games and post in Facebook, but how to do something useful may be another matter.

@AD, i may need to counter that, I noticed that most people who ask questions like that are normally older (maybe in their 20s). But i do agree with you, lots of teens are lazy...

people who ask questions like that are normally older (maybe in their 20s).

LOL, wait 10 years and see how old you think people in their 20 are :)

I don't think teens are lazy, just inexperienced and uneducated. But that is nothing new, same when I was a teenager. Their minds and bodies are not fully developed yet so we can't expect a 15-year-old to act the same as a 25 year-old.

Their minds and bodies are not fully developed yet so we can't expect a 15-year-old to act the same as a 25 year-old

That is true in North America... but if you go to the middle east, a 5 year old would act like a 30 year old.

Impossible, a 5-year-old's mind is just getting started. Kids' minds and bodies develop at the same pace the world over. It's just a fact human evolution. It's the nature of the beast.

I fit into the '20s' bracket! I tend to be annoyed by people not making an effort to search for their own answers before asking as I always will do.

@Michael, most of the people asking questions appear to be older because very few teenagers are working as professionally employed software engineers and whereas we do get homework questions on the site the questions usually seem to be of a professional context.

Impossible, a 5-year-old's mind is just getting started. Kids' minds and bodies develop at the same pace the world over. It's just a fact human evolution. It's the nature of the beast.

That is true but what i was referring to was that 5 year olds in the middle east would be doing labor jobs, supporting families, and already looking for wives.

Well, I was refering to sweat shops... i was refering to them as road makers, construction, black smiths, mechanics, washers, mining, etc.

Just search up Afghan Child Labor.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.