Member Avatar for kubyk

I see we can't close / delete our account. And I read a string about why that is and why would we want to?

Well it's simple. Since I've been hacked by someone with way more sophositication than this board provides. The potential exists for someone to log onto my old account, and please don't tell me about passwords, since it would seem that the hack occurs down the line, so anything I enter is likely to be captured. Run on sentence I know, but "someone" could access my accoun and post anything illegal and leave me with a world of problems.

Perhaps things have changed, but I do not see the option anywhere to close the account. Plus another horrible security practice is that most sites don't even delete the account. They just de-activate it, meaning anyone with the proper info can reactivate it without your knowledge and do the aforementioned.

Liste, there are few of us under such conditions. But the very dark side of hacking exists, and it would be nice if the obvious security holes could be plugged by people who should know better.

You can keep my info, just don't allow anyone, including me, access to it ever again. Security problem solved unless someone hack's your servers, and now that's not likely is it???

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

The potential exists for someone to log onto my old account, and please don't tell me about passwords, since it would seem that the hack occurs down the line, so anything I enter is likely to be captured

So your solution is to avoid fixing the actual security issue and instead focus on closing all possible endpoints as reactive damage control? Interesting approach.

I believe the site legally has to allow a option to delete all information (personal).

I believe the site legally has to allow a option to delete all information (personal).

Yes, we will not retain any personal information. Simply edit your profile and remove your personal details such as your full name, company, location, etc. Then, click the Permanently Delete Membership link that cereal linked you to.

Kubyk,

I'm a bit confused by your dilemma. From what I can tell, you were hacked in the past through a key logger that got installed onto your computer and was tracking the passwords you typed in, so you no longer want to log into any website online?? To each their own, I guess?

I'm a bit confused by your dilemma. From what I can tell, you were hacked in the past through a key logger that got installed onto your computer and was tracking the passwords you typed in, so you no longer want to log into any website online?? To each their own, I guess?

Dani, the user has already deleted the account, i don't think he will refer back to this thread ever again.

Doesn't really make much sense to me but oh well.

Doesn't really make much sense to me but oh well.

Yeah i know, it doesn't make sense to me that someone wants to delete their account... :( too bad for them...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.