hi , I just found a site (in chinese) which in python section has daniwebs codes ,
specifically all of vegaseats codes , is it legal ? www.sharejs.com

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I might be wrong, but code published in daniweb belongs to daniweb.

ToS Snippet

Posts contributed to the community immediately become the property of DaniWeb upon submission

You are correct HiHe.

You are correct HiHe.

I am not sure on that... you can always reference a code snippet as long as you have provided credit to the company/creator, right?

depends, whether those that hold the copyright allow it or not.
but what if the code was posted there before it was posted on DaniWeb? :)

commented: bum bum bum! +0

I believe code posted here is simply public domain. Etiquette demands you not copy from one source to another, but some people are unscrupulous. I think the only way around this is to include some kind of license in the article (such as GNU or Adobe). That way the entire license + header must be copied or they break the terms of the license such that you can request a takedown.

I believe that DaniWeb take "ownership" of posts so that they can legally store and manipulate them, however, someone from DaniWeb would have to officially confirm/deny this.

Pretty sure I've read in the past ownership is taken to help fight against scraping sites

I believe that DaniWeb take "ownership" of posts so that they can legally store and manipulate them, however, someone from DaniWeb would have to officially confirm/deny this.

Yes, that's true. However, and please don't quote me on this, but in the future this might be modified to change from taking ownership to being granted an exclusive, irrevocable license. From what I understand, this would allow us everything we need while not being the one liable for defamation, illegal content, etc.

Pretty sure I've read in the past ownership is taken to help fight against scraping sites

While this is somewhat true, we pick and choose who we pursue very carefully. We only go after sites that copy all of our content and then show us in a bad light, or sites that are harming us by being there in some way. Between our RSS feed and our new API, sites have been syndicating our content for years and years, and it actually, believe it or not, helps us in Google when other sites do that, ever since the duplicate content penalty came into existance.

thank you all , I was just surprised to see all the daniwebs python codes in there , they do mention that the codes were taken from here , probably if I check c , c++ or .... codes they will be the same as daniwebs codes !!! .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.