Mobile-friendly is pretty much here ... let me know if you spot any bugs. That being said, designing for mobile is suuuuper easy! Anytime that I can't find a way to squish so much information in such a small amount of real estate, I can just get rid of that piece and call it a "feature" that we are responsive and remove elements on smaller screens to fit better.

Recommended Answers

All 59 Replies

I look forward to using DaniWeb on my 7" Android tablet away from the office in that case, and will be sure to report back any bugs I come across. :)

First bug, Android (KitKat, latest update) on a Nexus 7 2013 LTE tablet, when composing a reply/post the edit box is hugely magnified to the point where I can only see a word or two on screen. Cursor is also offset one character to the left.

Second bug, sent a reply to a PM via the Android tablet and all the recipient got was a blank message - the body text was not included at all.

I only have an iPhone and an iPad Mini, with no access to an Android. Do you have a screenshot of the first bug? And is the second bug reproducable in iOS?

First bug, Android (KitKat, latest update) on a Nexus 7 2013 LTE tablet, when composing a reply/post

Just replies or new threads as well? Do you get the editor toolbar or is it just a straight text editor?

Screenshot from Android tablet attached (ANdroid screencap isn't showing the offset cursor, or any cursor for that matter) - this is what I get for posting/replies/PMs etc.

0d3a66950b47b460135d58fb542649cc

Second bug is Android specific, PMs work fine on iOS.

OK, so yeah. For some reason your device isn't triggering to use the mobile text editor. It's attempting to use the full editor which can be buggy in mobile devices. That's why sending a PM didn't work.

Apart from the text editor issue (which is obviously a big one for me, when trying to do any kind of mod/admin work remotely) the site does look really good on Android. It's a joy to read and navigation is good etc.

Yay. You fixed it Dani. Now I have no excuse for not keeping an eye on things when away from the office. Damn! ;-)

Pretty good for a day and a half of coding, eh? :) I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. Oh, that's right. Because only 2% of our entire audience according to Google Analytics access DaniWeb on a mobile device, and that number isn't climbing.

But, just maybe that lack of growth and the lack of usability on mobile devices in the past are linked. Now that DaniWeb is fully mobile, I would hope that those numbers change. I will certainly be accessing from my Nexus tablet now, no excuse not to anymore. It will make my modding/admin life much easier.

I know, I'm not a normal user :)

Honestly, the only reason I don't feel that way is because I keep hearing about how website owners' mobile usage started climbing and climbing until they were forced to respond. I guess people don't code on their phones? :)

Do you notice a big difference now that we have a mobile layout? Previously, was it significantly harder to use? Didn't it just shrink down the normal version to something usable?

Why did you remove the main forum menu? My mobile screen is HD so wide enough, yet now i can no longer navigate.

Good point Prit.

I actually use my mobile a great deal of the time that I access this site. Not having a nav menu makes it impossible to move around the site.

Member Avatar for diafol

On Android HTC Sensation - much better-ish. In landscape I get the full toplevel forum menu. In portrait no menu - so DW unusable.

Not sure I'd use a mobile to enter code anyway. Just to read posts and the odd message. Maybe a bit of moderating / voting.

Still annoys me that I can't get the PHP forum from a menu. Not sure a hamburger menu would work here either. OK I know I can use the "Forums" on the footer bar, but only in landscape view. Only first two items visible in portrait view.

(and yes I have heard of bookmarks)

Forums" on the footer bar,

If that would be always visible, it would be enough for me, or the option to switch to the full website (which works nicely on SO for example).

Even if I change the IE setting to "get desktop version", I still get the mobile version without the forum menu (Lumia 930).

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Looks good to start with. Why not make the make menu a drop down select option.

Looks good to start with. Why not make the make menu a drop down select option.

If you're on a tablet, the top menu does not drop down because it was causing too much of an issue on my iPad Mini (I forget specifically what the issue was, but it boiled down to being nearly impossible to click on them.)

If you're on a phone, the top menu does not appear at all, because there was simply no way to fit it in the space available.

If you're on a phone, the top menu does not appear at all, because there was simply no way to fit it in the space available.

That goes back to the original post of this thread, where I said that designing for mobile is easy, because if it doesn't fit, just chuck it and people will call it a "feature" that it's missing! :-P

Im a minimalist so i love to chuck things out, but the navigation menu?

Would you consider some type of dropdown or icon that would result in a menu when clicked?

Ok, I'll work on getting some type of forum navigation to work, whether it's a forum list on the homepage, access to the forums button in the footer, etc. And I'm typing this on my iPhone. :)

Member Avatar for iamthwee

where I said that designing for mobile is easy, because if it doesn't fit, just chuck it and people will call it a "feature" that it's missing! :-P

You kidding right? Menu navigation is pretty standard for mobiles. As you're aware there are tonnes of options. I'll assume you haven't twitter bootstrappified daniweb.

You can use media queries to hide the main navigation when a browser is resized to a tablet or phone width and show a select menu.

Anyway my favourite is:

http://adnantopal.github.io/slimmenu/

outside of bootstrap of course.

Actually, this entire thread was meant to be tongue 'n' cheek. It was everyone else who started taking me seriously :)

Member Avatar for diafol

It was everyone else who started taking me seriously :)

No danger of that without a forum menu ;)

It was everyone else who started taking me seriously :)

If it makes you feel better, I never take you seriously. :D

Suggestions regarding the 'Forums' link that should now be visible in the footer?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.