Yay!

But what is 'MM' out of curiosity? 1.11 millimetres? :)

927c8d593a30ce14fd7817d5d35c4f71

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

MM is an abbreviation for million, since M can be confused with the roman numeral meaning thousand.

Just looked it up. Apparently MM is primarily used only within different sectors of business such as finance and marketing. Since I've been immersed in this stuff for the better part of 15 years, I thought it was common usage.

I've not come across it before, I have to admit. I do wonder how many people today would see 1M and think in terms of Roman numerals? That would be some serious geek going on :)

Within the whole of the internet marketing industry, who initially adopted it from the financial industry, and I'm sure many other industries as well, MM is simply the standardized and correct abbreviation for million. The original reasoning that MM came to use was because the finance people didn't want it to be confused with the roman numeral for thousands. However, it's been in use for many, many years since those origins. In fact, MM is even the abbreviation it is given on the wikipedia article for Million (sorry, but had to look it up!) It's quite odd to me that no one else has seen it before.

I'm probably alone in having been MM blind :)

You're just blind period, but that's a whole other story.

commented: ? +0

I thought mm is the official SI abreviation for millimeter.

I've always seen 1M as one million, e.g. $1M is one million dollars.

I've seen MM before...came from the banking industry many years ago...

@Dani, now a days... i have never seen a person MMix up M and MM... they oftenly use M rather than MM but the users should already get what you Mean by the use of MM... Does M mmake hiM self clear? :)

Do you think that it gives the impression that we are a community of small, little bug-sized members?

No... but i think it would be better to actually write the amount of members like 1,123,456 rather than abbreviating it... i think it looks better

We had that, but the number got so big it started to not fit for people on small monitors and with long usernames. Plus it didn't for at all on tablets. Hence the reason to shorten it.

Could be interpreted as a very small community with a stutter.

1.11 m-m-members...

Why not stay in the computer idiom instead of Wall Street?
Use M or even G. 0.111 G members.

Why not stay in the computer idiom instead of Wall Street?

Because the Internet marketing industry adopted MM from the financial industry, and I've been so immersed in the Internet marketing industry for so many years, I thought that MM was much more commonplace than it turned out being.

MM is an abbreviation for million

Correct. But you can either use only M or MLN

since M can be confused with the roman numeral meaning thousand.

then why don't you use this(roman equivalent to one million) 987f4151d95c0cce0189b5af3254c38b

I do wonder how many people today would see 1M and think in terms of Roman numerals?

I think that 1 out of 1M will consider M as equivalent to thousand.But there would be millions of people, certainly confused(as i did) about MM And I do wonder how many people would use roman numbers for such big numbers(thousand) and if it is used in context to roman , most of the people will misunderstand it(they all will think it as million instead of thousand).

When it comes to use roman numerals with big numbers , nobody prefer roman numerals . They use more famous abbreviations(like k for thousand , M for million etc).However it(M) is romand equiavalent But I have never seen M using as roman equivalent to thousand, because its not popular.I'm sure that if you could have written M instead of MM then probably this thread wouldn't not has taken place.

the number got so big it started to not fit for people on small monitors and with long usernames.

Thats why i say why don't you use single M instead of double M(MM) ? It require less space. LOL :)

MM sounds bizarre , you could use either M or MLN instead.Nobody will get confused with it.

Anyway, Daniweb is now so popular even if dani forgot to add MM , any member definately understand its about millions and somebody can think it as billions too.

Well Done !
its now 1.11M Members.

Well that is great to hear! I am happy to see my username as the new symbol for million, do i win a prize :P

Your username is not M though, is it? If the header showed 1.11<M/> we would have to start another thread...

You could alternatively use 1.11e6. Anyone? No? Ok.

commented: You have my vote for 1.11e6 +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.