One frog known as the Poison-Arrow has enough poison to kill about 2,200 people.

Makes me wonder what the most toxic substance on earth is?

The Merc Index carefully avoids using 'most toxic substance' because 'there can only be one' but they do list interesting comparisons but first I need to explain LD50 - this is the concentration that will kill 50% of a given population (I guess kind of like the half life in radioactivity).
Dioxin has an ld50 of .045mg per kg of body mass
Plutionium is .o15 per kg
Ricin is .001mg per kg
Clostridium botulinum .0000003mg per kg of body mass; botulism is about 10,000 times as toxic as dioxin or Plutonium -- if you want a winner Botulism is the one. Do not eat from any canned product that is bulging!! Why people want to inject this into their faces - well, that is the wonder of advertising.

Wow, 0.0000003mg per kg of body mass. That makes a bulging can of green beans a weapon of mass destruction! You have one of those and the US Air Force will come and bomb your kitchen!

Wow, 0.0000003mg per kg of body mass. That makes a bulging can of green beans a weapon of mass destruction! You have one of those and the US Air Force will come and bomb your kitchen!

With what, thier own similarly-bulging 'death carrot' munitions?

The Merc Index carefully avoids using 'most toxic substance' because 'there can only be one' but they do list interesting comparisons but first I need to explain LD50 - this is the concentration that will kill 50% of a given population (I guess kind of like the half life in radioactivity).
Plutionium is .o15 per kg

I'm assuming that 'Plutionium' is plutonium, and the dose is .o15 what per kg? And how sure is this; I remember reading about a guy who offered to eat the stuff. Apparently, it was some kind of challenge to Ralph Nader, pound per pound, although I don't recall what Nader was supposed to eat. I'll have to go find that reference again.

With what, thier own similarly-bulging 'death carrot' munitions?

Oh, I think one of the standard issue laser guided 2000 pounders will do a good job on most any kitchen. It has been used very successfully on Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan, and they weren't even in a kitchen.

I'm assuming that 'Plutionium' is plutonium, and the dose is .o15 what per kg? And how sure is this; I remember reading about a guy who offered to eat the stuff. Apparently, it was some kind of challenge to Ralph Nader, pound per pound, although I don't recall what Nader was supposed to eat. I'll have to go find that reference again.

Generally I don't get involved in poor-feeding disputes but - wtf do you think it meant?
the dose above it is in mg, the dose below it is mg - if you can't connect the dots - why are you even talking to me.

Did you notice that I mentioned Merck Index - if you don't know what the Merck Index is try this:
"...encyclopedia with over 10,000 monographs on single substances or groups of related compounds" -- it is the recognized go-to reference for chemistry. If the guy ate .015mg of Plutonium (or plutionium, heh,heh) he would have a 50% chance of not surviving the ingestion - if he ate a pound of it, he would be dead. In most of its isotopic forms, it is an Alpha emitter so human skin can block it but internal tissue would be irradiated beyond recognizability; the most commonly used isotropic form has a half life of 88 years and produces quite a bit of thermal energy - if he happened to survive the Alpha particles, his insides would be cooked as peristalsis moved it through his body

Here is the link from which I put together my post most toxic

Please don't go looking for that reference - I think you are still looking up a different reference for me

Oh, I think one of the standard issue laser guided 2000 pounders will do a good job on most any kitchen. It has been used very successfully on Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan, and they weren't even in a kitchen.

Did you hear how this happened? What I heard was that the spotter was using a gps unit whose batteries died just as the target co-ords came up - so he replaced the batteries and called in the co-ords that came up, which just happened to be its location not the target location. Could be an Urban Legend but possibly worth a Darwin Award.

I can just see the home guard marching to war with back packs full of spoiled lima beans; the resistance setting 'French cut green bean' booby traps, and drive by corn-beef hash 'cannings'

Sigh - brings tears to my eyes

I can just see the home guard marching to war with back packs full of spoiled lima beans; the resistance setting 'French cut green bean' booby traps, and drive by corn-beef hash 'cannings'

Sigh - brings tears to my eyes

Tears indeed, I imagine harboring biological weapons like a hopelessly outdated can of refried beans can be quite an offense of the patriot act.

Please don't go looking for that reference - I think you are still looking up a different reference for me

Trying to track down the reference materials now; the author's footnote didn't mention the study itself, it mentioned a set of periodical materials that I'm assuming he drew his information from.

Kung pao chicken is the most commonly ordered Chinese food dish in America.

Just discovered by scientist at the University of Michigan:
Fingernails grow about 3 times faster then toenails.

Just discovered by scientist at the University of Michigan:
Fingernails grow about 3 times faster then toenails.

And what a blessing this is! Can you imagine all the socks you would go through if you had to cut your toenails as often as your fingernails?!

Not really; I tend to cut my toenails after removing the socks.

(And yes, I know that's not what you meant.)

More people have attended Star Trek conventions than have given blood.

Note:
I am not surprised, I myself would rather go to a Star Trek convention than give blood

Nearly 50% of all bank robberies in the US take place on Fridays. source = FBI

You cannot lick your own elbow. source = 'try it'

You cannot lick your own elbow. source = 'try it'

Nor can you touch your elbows behind your back (unless you use your fingers - modifying the concept) - when I was young I used to use this on the girls, I only got slapped once or twice.

Nearly 50% of all bank robberies in the US take place on Fridays. source = FBI

Well, duh! how else you going to get some scratch for the weekend?

More people have attended Star Trek conventions than have given blood.

Note:
I am not surprised, I myself would rather go to a Star Trek convention than give blood

Sigh! I was a life-time giver - gave over 10 gallons in 25 years then I had some minor liver problems and my system was flooded with Hep. anti-bodies and now i can no longer give (though I still do pheresis when I can find the time).

Maybe they should set up donation stations at Trek/sci-fi conventions.

Sigh! I was a life-time giver - gave over 10 gallons in 25 years then I had some minor liver problems and my system was flooded with Hep. anti-bodies and now i can no longer give (though I still do pheresis when I can find the time).

Maybe they should set up donation stations at Trek/sci-fi conventions.

Thanks for being a donor. I've given some in the past, but right now I'm on some kind of medication which, if I understand correctly, means I'm not going to be able to. Although this isn't its official purpose, one of the side effects does deal with lowering blood pressure.

Over eighty percent of people will yawn within twenty seconds of seeing another person yawn.

I just yawned reading this!

Over eighty percent of people will yawn within twenty seconds of seeing another person yawn.

I just yawned reading this!

There are evolutionary benefits for groups of humans living together being able to synchronize their schedules.

It is illegal for individuals to pump their own gas in Oregon and New Jersey.

It is illegal for individuals to pump their own gas in Oregon and New Jersey.

To follow up on your nick -- there are only 2 words in Japanese that end in a consonant, one of which is san; almost all other words are composed of consonant-vowel pairs.

The housefly regurgitates its food and eats it again.

Spider venom liquefies its prey's insides and it sucks it out leaving only a chitinous shell behind.

Pound for pound, spider silk is 10 times stronger than steel.

Spider venom liquefies its prey's insides and it sucks it out leaving only a chitinous shell behind.

Pound for pound, spider silk is 10 times stronger than steel.

Ten? I thought it was only five. May I request the name of whatever source material you found that in?

I think it depends on what type of steel and type of spider you are talking about.

Now, I find this amazing:
A strand of spider silk long enough to circle the earth would weigh less than 16 ounces (450 g).

Silk from the Black Widow spider was used by the US military in its WW2 bomb sights.

I think it depends on what type of steel and type of spider you are talking about.

Dunno about his spiders; the one I recall reading about was something like 'Golden Orb Weaver'.

Silk from the Black Widow spider was used by the US military in its WW2 bomb sights.

Interesting...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.