I will be graduating with my MIS degree from IU May of 2009. I'm unsure as to what jobs I will be qualified for in my area. Could someone please let me know the the title of the jobs that I should apply for? Also my goal is to work in Northern IN for about 2 or 3 years to get experience and than move south somewhere. I was thinking about try for a internship in the fall and spring of next year. I know that there are some openings for someone familiar with SAP in the area would this be something I should try for. Thank you in advance for any info you have.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Well, do you have experience with SAP?

I had only one class on the subject. Everyone of the jobs want at least 2 years experience before they will hire you. How do I get a job without the experience the is the question I will take any helpful ideas.

go back to school and get a degree. If you can't get a degree because you can't do the work then just to go McDonalds and flip hamburgers for the rest of your life.

Also check with some of the temp employment agencies in your area to see if you can get an entry-level job.

I'm still in school I will have my degree May 09. The career service placement at the school is not great and they don't have anything. The reason I posted this was because I thought people in the Industry might have some different ideas.

I'm still in school I will have my degree May 09. The career service placement at the school is not great and they don't have anything. The reason I posted this was because I thought people in the Industry might have some different ideas.

Check with some local head hunters (employment agencies) and ask if they have any internship jobs available. Quite a few companies in my area hire them on temporary basis.

persistence is key when applying for your first job post - education. That is the single best piece of advice anyone can give ya

go back to school and get a degree. If you can't get a degree because you can't do the work then just to go McDonalds and flip hamburgers for the rest of your life.

Or go to McDonalds and get them to give you a degree!

Clicky

lol uniquestar

First of all, the MIS degree is like a Jack of all trades AND Master of all. That is what we are made to understand and it is very versatile degree. So you will have to choose your own path.
A variety of career paths are available for MIS graduates such as consulting, it management, data & systems integration, information security, systems analyst, Business analyst, quality control, even or up to finance. Your added degree is a force in reinforcing your abilities.
I would also recommend certain certifications to enhance your marketability and this would depend on whichever area you want to focus. As for the SAP, it is a PLUS any day because it is a course for the future, just like the MIS.
Hope this helps.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.