This thread started nine years ago with a quote by Homer, so I thought it was time for another.

“I've learned that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.”

When you do something good nobody notice but commit a single mistake and people will judge you.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.

• Isaac Asimov, January 21, 1980

Upon this first, and in one sense this sole, rule of reason, that in order to learn you must desire to learn, and in so desiring not be satisfied with what you already incline to think, there follows one corollary, which itself deserves to be inscribed upon every wall of the city of philosophy:

Do not block the way of inquiry.

• Charles Sanders Peirce

It seems to me what is called for is an exquisite balance between two conflicting needs: the most skeptical scrutiny of all hypotheses that are served up to us and at the same time a great openness to new ideas. If you are only skeptical, then no new ideas make it through to you. You never learn anything new. You become a crotchety old person convinced that nonsense is ruling the world. On the other hand, if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of sceptical sense in you, then you cannot distinguish useful ideas from the worthless ones. If all ideas have equal validity then you are lost, because then, it seems to me, no ideas have any validity at all.

• Carl Sagan,

"Sir, you have held yourself as if you had in no ways been subject to the Law, as if you were the Law's superior. The Law, sir, is your superior."

• Richard Bradshaw, chief prosecutor at the trial of King Charles I (for treason)

A wise repairman once shared this nugget with me. Can't find a name to give credit to.

When unsure what part to replace, start with the cheapest part first.

I have used this advice many times over the years. As I do a lot of computer work, I always do the free stuff first then move to the cheapest part and so on. Some may fault this method. I don't.

The old faiths light their candles all about, but burly truth comes by and blows them out.

• Lizette W. Reese

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

• Voltaire

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

• M. Golding
commented: When I wrote this code, only God & I understood what it did. Now only God knows. +0

The evil in the world comes almost always from ignorance, and goodwill can cause as much damage as ill-will if it is not enlightened. People are more often good than bad, though in fact that is not the question. But they are more or less ignorant and this is what one calls vice or virtue, the most appalling vice being the ignorance that thinks it knows everything and which consequently authorizes itself to kill. The murderer’s soul is blind, and there is no true goodness or fine love without the greatest possible degree of clear-sightedness.

• Albert Camus (1947)

“One may protest against evil; it can be exposed and, if need be, prevented by use of force. Evil always carries within itself the germ of its own subversion in that it leaves behind in human beings at least a sense of unease. Against stupidity we are defenseless.

“Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. In all this the stupid person, in contrast to the malicious one, is utterly self satisfied and, being easily irritated, becomes dangerous by going on the attack.

“For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one. Never again will we try to persuade the stupid person with reasons, for it is senseless and dangerous.”

• Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Six-foot distance and masks are pagan rituals of satanic worshipers. Where does 6 feet come from, people? Why is not 3? Why is it not 5? Why is it not 10? Why is it not 30? Why is it 6? We are Christians. Our children do not practice Satanic worship. We don’t have them stand six feet apart from each other with facial coverings.

• Heidi Anderson (parent of a child in Elmbrook School District, Wisconsin),

Memorable for all the wrong reasons.

A king can stand people's fighting, but he can't last long if people start thinking.

• Will Rogers

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

• Dwight D. Eisenhower

The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise—with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew, and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country.

• Abraham Lincoln

"Thing is, not all documentation is created equal. And if I’ve learned anything over the past five or so years, it’s that depending on official documentation is like depending on a shoe to make you breakfast."

• Jack Wallen (software developer)

Most people don't want to be told the truth. They want to be told that what they already believe is the truth.

• Anonymous

Truth shall emerge from the interplay
of attitudes freely debated.
Don’t be misled by fanatics who say
that only one truth should be stated:
truth is constructed in such a way
that it can’t be exaggerated.

• Piet Hein

I hope that even my worst critics remain on Twitter, because that is what free speech means

• Elon Musk in April 2022

Thursday December 15, 2022 Elon Musk conducts a banning spree of journalists from The Washington Post, The New York Times, Vox, CNN, Mashable, and The Intercept. All were individuals who covered him.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.