You know what it means to 'shoot your cuffs'

teja_dt commented: time waster +0

Recommended Answers

All 431 Replies

You can remember every Steven Spielberg movie.

when you say, "back in my day...".
--------------------------------------------------------
Just for curiosity, whats the age group here in Daniweb? Anyone want
to tell their age? I'm 19.

Sure. I'm 28.

You know what it means to 'shoot your cuffs'

You know what it means to "wind a watch".

when you say, "back in my day...".
--------------------------------------------------------
Just for curiosity, whats the age group here in Daniweb? Anyone want
to tell their age? I'm 19.

I'm 39. I'm just starting to say "Back in my day..." and making up BS stories about how rough it was and how coddled today's youngsters are compared to "my day" and how much more we respected our "elders". At 19, you're WWWWAAAAYYYYY too young to say "Back in my day...".

I'm 39. I'm just starting to say "Back in my day..." and making up BS stories about how rough it was and how coddled today's youngsters are compared to "my day" and how much more we respected our "elders". At 19, you're WWWWAAAAYYYYY too young to say "Back in my day...".

I think even in your twenties, you are still too young to say "Back in my day" until you reach mid-thirties or forties.

... when the birds you watch are in a tree.

When you have your first grand-child.

If during summer, you start walking around in khaki shorts, white socks and brown sandals!

I'm 57.

>>At 19, you're WWWWAAAAYYYYY too young to say "Back in my day...".

It was just a saying. I don't literally say it. Although I do reminiscent about
my childhood where I had no responsibility.

How about if you remember your country's pm going all the way with LBJ

So AD, I finally found your secret identity... in the attached screenshot ;)

When you remember when "program" was just a wierd American spelling of "programme", and a "programme" was just something you watched on telly.

When your first computer had no harddrive and only two big floppy disk drives.

and the fastest modem available was 300 baud.

It was just a saying. I don't literally say it. Although I do reminiscent about my childhood where I had no responsibility.

I am not sure if you noticed, but the verb form you want is reminisce. Just to let you know, I'm not really anal just thought I could help you out if grammar is not your strong point.

commented: Grammar > everything :P +0

...when almost every ongoing discussion on 'teh' internet makes you *sigh*. :-)

My first one had a tape-deck :)

Mine as well: Commodore Vic-20
:)

My first computer was an RCA Elf, with a cmos based computer chip used in the NASA moon missions. My main storage was a tape deck too.

I am not sure if you noticed, but the verb form you want is reminisce. Just to let you know, I'm not really anal just thought I could help you out if grammar is not your strong point.

Thanks. I'm more of a math guy then a English one. Plus English is my
secondary language.

cwarn23 must indeed be very young. I had a TI99/4A with a cassette deck as I/O and an old TV as monitor.:)
But that does not mean I consider myself an old sack.

... when you begin discussing your medical conditions in the most honest of terms with most anyone who will hear... then again that may be a personality issue... still sorting it out...

43 btw... not fully disclosing medical issues... but becoming tempted...

...when you remember bootstrapping the computer by its front panel switches, installing operating system patches with an octal editor, and writing programs on a teletype (thats like a big typewriter with fanfold paper instead of a screen, for you youngsters). Oh, and using telex to supply patches (sometimes even small programs) to clients (beats dictating over the telephone, although the character set was limited, you had to spell out some of the punctuation marks).

Sigh! Those were the days my friends!

...when you can remember having to use an ACTUAL dial to dial a telephone number.

You had a Dial Phone? Trying to put operators out of work?

How about having to use punch cards to do programming? Our CS teacher reminded us that when he was working on the ARPANET, they did not have compilers with syntax check and auto completion which I think creates a lazy programmer.

... when a computer with 64K memory was stored on three floors of a concrete building with millions of huge vacuum tubes.

How about having to use punch cards to do programming? Our CS teacher reminded us that when he was working on the ARPANET, they did not have compilers with syntax check and auto completion which I think creates a lazy programmer.

Yeah, in CS we had to write the programs out by hand, on paper with a little box for each character, then post this into a pigeon hole. Next working day (D+1) (if you were lucky) you'd get back a stack of punched cards, and a printout of their contents, for checking. After correcting the errors (with a red biro) , you'd get the corrected cards back the next day (D+2), hopefully without errors, and hand them back for processing. The next day (D+3/4), you'd get the results, which would normally be syntax errors or typos you'd missed. Red biro, da de dah, D+4 the results of the compiled program. Basically, one working week to enter, compile and run a 200 line program. And another week to fix the logical errors.

But we wuz grateful for it, guv!

commented: You made me glad to not have been programming then :) +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.