[img]http://daniweb.com/techtalkforums/techtalk-images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif[/img]Windows 95/98/98SE/MM =...01-12-2004 11:41 PMLinux in a 9x Forum? Are you looking to start a flamewar?

Touchy touchy....now now lighten up a little biggy!

Re: Windows 95/98/98SE/MM = Time To UPGRADE
Lets stop the fight before it starts. Feel free to take this to a PM, but we only want friendly chat, and this has flamewar all over it. Topic Closed.

Do what?, I saw some good constructive /educational debating comming on. But I will respect your authority in the matter.
Atleast let us continue it in here....................It is the geek's lounge!

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

The subject is debated throught the whole forum. Basically, I'm the only pro-microsoft guy around these parts, and it gets to be everyone vs. Tekmaven. The thread was closed, because there are many other threads debating the same thing - Linux vs. Windows.

I could make a million arguments, and you could too - so lets save eachother some time, and make no arguments ;-).

[img]http://daniweb.com/techtalkforums/techtalk-images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif[/img]Windows 95/98/98SE/MM =...01-12-2004 11:41 PMLinux in a 9x Forum? Are you looking to start a flamewar?

Touchy touchy....now now lighten up a little biggy!
Do what?, I saw some good constructive /educational debating comming on. But I will respect your authority in the matter.
Atleast let us continue it in here....................It is the geek's lounge!

I see no problem debating over a topic that's IT related, even though I've debated over it a million times. I don't mind getting involved if I'm in the mood for it. This is "techtalk" so it fits here nicely, and especially in the Geek's Lounge. It's up to one to get involved in a debate.

What I can't stand is the name calling. Something like:

(side note) If your using M E your a loser.

Just turns me, and I'm sure others, off. I don't waste my time with people that insult or make judgments like that. Also demeaning a company by referring to them as "M$" tends to actually demean the person saying it as an IT professional. I don't know if it was a slipup on your part, or if you're really like that, but to me, that's just trolling. If you're going to get into a debate where you know the answer and all you do is insult, then to me it's trolling. Sort of like Slashdot. I can come up with a million stereotypes for Linux users and reasons why not to use anything Linux related, but why? I'm sure you've heard them all, and if anything, it'll spring up a flamewar faster than I can blink.

Just my two cents.

Member Avatar for

The subject is debated throught the whole forum. Basically, I'm the only pro-microsoft guy around these parts, and it gets to be everyone vs. Tekmaven. The thread was closed, because there are many other threads debating the same thing - Linux vs. Windows.

First off, your efforts look like more of a stamping out of my ideals and opinions rather than your pompous excuse of "there are many other threads debating the same thing". Rather pathetic don't you think?

I could make a million arguments, and you could too - so lets save eachother some time, and make no arguments

Who are you, and what kind of flawed logic is this anyway? That's the best line I have heard in some time dude! So you would rather shut down a thread than have an intellectual debate? Wow, fascists around the globe would be quite proud.

With that said, I feel no obligation to retract any of my statements. My ("side note")
"Me is for losers", was more like a Tony Robins motivational speech to move on to bigger better things even if you dont have the money. I was merely saying that you paid good money for software you thought was secure & stable but in reality you were on the losing end; hence the word LOSER.

Sorry that was me.^
|

The subject is debated throught the whole forum. Basically, I'm the only pro-microsoft guy around these parts, and it gets to be everyone vs. Tekmaven.

Uhmm, no I havent seen you really post anything about your claim especially in this thread or others that I have seen. If you would bring it out the wood work that would be great.

Again, my loser statement which I found to be non life threatening/ Flame free. Basically ME useres thought they were at the top of the game. When infact that peice of software became the laughing stock of the whole industry.

Actually Im the biggest pro Microsoft user around these parts I can pick several things wrong with all OS's.

Example: Linux has
A less finely grained access control system?
A weaker audit trail?
An archaic, inferior and less secure kernel architecture?
No trusted path support?
A lack of centralized security policies?
The enormous hole of a super user account?
The lack of a trusted facilities manual?
The lack of a secure logon sequence?
The lack of seemless file system encryption?
The lack of decent formal evaluations scores?
Want me to continue?
Bash or praise whatever you like, but for god's sake do it intelligently.

If you want to learn or not thats up to you ! Some people never see out of the box and some have thirst for knowledge. Those who have thirst for other OS's will reply with a question or a statement or a new thread.

OK, being the admin around these parts, here is my comment:

Computer-related debates are okay so long as they don't turn to cursing and name-calling. However, if there is already a Linux vs Windows thread, just keep replying to it instead of starting 5000 threads all related to the same thing. This way it keeps everything in one place.

Do not hijack threads though! If someone posts a legit question about their computer, don't turn it into a 500 post long debate where the original thread starter's question doesn't get answered. Keep debates to their own thread.

I agree with cscgal about the hijacking of threads. It's a waste.

)BIG"B"Affleck, I can see your passion when it comes to debating and letting others know what you think but, like you said, you should:

Bash or praise whatever you like, but for god's sake do it intelligently.

When you make a comment about people being losers, you're insulting a lot of people who are still using Windows ME. So what, they're not as computer saavy as you or others here, but in fact could be more intelligent in other areas. I saw that you explained yourself why but people aren't always going to understand what you mean.

Also, when I don't agree with someone, I don't say their opinions are pathetic, and go off like:

Who are you, and what kind of flawed logic is this anyway? That's the best line I have heard in some time dude! So you would rather shut down a thread than have an intellectual debate? Wow, fascists around the globe would be quite proud.

Just giving you advice. I'd like for TTF to be a professional and enjoying experience. Comments like that will gain you no respect, might get the posts locked, and you might even get banned.

Now wait just a minute there kettle, you're calling him a black pot because he stopped a timebomb from exploding?

Do you even read the posts that are in your sordid past here? You do nothing but instigate petty nuances from anything even remotely concerning computers.

Everyone should note his Reputation score. See how it's negative? I have to take another step because he's on my ignore list. But I see in the other thread that he's banned? *crosses fingers*

He has been taken care of. If you notice, he is now banned from these forums.

He has been taken care of. If you notice, he is now banned from these forums.

You've made my day.

FWIW, I'm on your end of the deal as well...no one wants to support Windows in any argument because that's not the cool thing to do anymore. :rolleyes:

If you're not linux4lyfe or whatever, you're seen as an outsider, one not to be trusted. In reality, we're all in a position to get something done (well, most of us) and being that we use closed source or open source to get it done should have no bearing on the final product.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.