1,105,380 Community Members

Does Deactivating your Facebook account permanently delete it?

Member Avatar
Netcode
Veteran Poster
1,049 posts since Jun 2009
Reputation Points: 33 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 86 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 8 [?]

^^ does the same thing apply to orkut, because i deleted my account few days back

what is orkut? so many social sites springing up these days even if they don't make any impact.

Member Avatar
pseudorandom21
Practically a Posting Shark
888 posts since Jan 2011
Reputation Points: 166 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 115 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

No it deactivates it, but if you sign in within 2 weeks it reactivates it for you. If you pass the 2week period then they 'delete' it, but they might have you still on their database who knows. If you want to stop using it for a bit, then tell your friend to change your password and not give it to you until a week or so.

Heh the FBI/CIA probably keep a record of everyone's FB.

Member Avatar
Netcode
Veteran Poster

I seriously doubt they ever delete the data, it's far too valuable for their marketing departments (and too much links to it, like "friends" networks).

Orkut, being owned by Google, of course (like Google) never deletes anything at all. Same is true with GMail. If you delete a message there it's just made invisible to you, but still used by Google themselves for their purposes (thus can be sold to 3rd parties if they pay enough).

That's where the income from those sites comes from. If you don't like your private data being sold to the highest bidder, don't use them.

You had better have some proof.. should i call that a guess or a fact from someone who has worked with Google?;)

Member Avatar
Azmah
Junior Poster
192 posts since Jul 2010
Reputation Points: 1 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]

Its pretty logical why they would keep it. There's a reason they sooo big. They circumvent the government and possibly taxes :P
If you share Google secrets adn worked there, they may assinate you. who know,s it may be as secret as area 51 but better. gosh funny theories I'm coming up with :)

I could always 'disappear' and change my identity - and so can you :D

Member Avatar
Netcode
Veteran Poster

Its pretty logical why they would keep it. There's a reason they sooo big. They circumvent the government and possibly taxes :P
If you share Google secrets adn worked there, they may assinate you. who know,s it may be as secret as area 51 but better. gosh funny theories I'm coming up with :)

I could always 'disappear' and change my identity - and so can you :D

brilliant theories but that really happens in some places we never can mention because we are not so sure but we do believe it happens as seen in movies.

Member Avatar
Azmah
Junior Poster
192 posts since Jul 2010

Yes, chibex64, but what are the place 'we never can mention'? It possibly does. Those people can not touch those people that makes the film, or that would arouse suspicious.

We can always do investigations :D

Member Avatar
Netcode
Veteran Poster

Yes, chibex64, but what are the place 'we never can mention'?

I believe in the philosophy that says: We believe there is life in Mars because they have not communicated with us (If i got it exactly right).
Yeah. Shit happens you know, but you should also know that we have writers and movie directors who stage a movie based on a writers thinking

Member Avatar
jbennet
17,127 posts since Apr 2005
Reputation Points: 1,618 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 736 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 38 [?]
Team Colleague
Featured

Change your password before deleting it, and remember to remove all apps and/or connections, as if it is linked to e.g. yahoo, or you have it on your iphone, and one of those tries to sign in, it will annoyingly reactivate it.

Member Avatar
Netcode
Veteran Poster

Change your password before deleting it, and remember to remove all apps and/or connections, as if it is linked to e.g. yahoo, or you have it on your iphone, and one of those tries to sign in, it will annoyingly reactivate it.

That's true, because signing in on facebook after deleting the account automatically reactivates it

Member Avatar
Azmah
Junior Poster
192 posts since Jul 2010

What id those filmakers are in coalition with those conspiracers? They could try to deceive us as well! Look at the amount of films about space, moon-landing, aliens, mars, .etc .

Exactly, when I finally press deactivate, it said hope to see me soon in a little yellow box new the top left (opposite the login bars). Notice it never says delete, just deactivate; everyone else says that :) (haha I'm co-making an app called The Notice).

Member Avatar
kilonzo
Newbie Poster
1 post since Feb 2008
Reputation Points: 0 [?]

Hi,the account is not permanently deleted.I've had an experience where even after De-activating the account it shows up in the section for "People you may know" section.
This is after more than 1 month. I shall review this further to see if indeed one can permanently delete the a/c.

Member Avatar
jwenting
duckman
8,354 posts since Nov 2004
Reputation Points: 1,399 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 446 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 35 [?]
Infraction Points: 5
Team Colleague

what is orkut? so many social sites springing up these days even if they don't make any impact.

Orkut is a "social networking site" that predates Facebook, Hyves, Ning, LinkedIn, and the others by several years.
It was created as a hobby project/proof of concept by a few guys and bought by Google shortly after who recognised it as a powerful tool in their campaign to aggregate massive amounts of data about everyone (as what had been missing most is interactions between people).

One of he few places where Google lost out to the competition, I guess facebook took them by surprise but I was declining Orkut invites years before facebook ever came around.

Member Avatar
Azmah
Junior Poster
192 posts since Jul 2010

My friends say they can't find me on fb. No, I haven't unlinked the apps.

Why wasn't orkut successful? Sounds cool. Tried to see what it was once but not sure what exactly happened. think it may be coz it didn't work. What's happened to orkut ... secretly incorporated into Goggle+? Do you think that'll take-off?

Member Avatar
Netcode
Veteran Poster

My friends say they can't find me on fb.

Let them try using your email address.

Why wasn't orkut successful? Sounds cool.

To a large extent, it was successful just that there are things/people who must succeed more than others. Come to think of it, if orkut were not successful, you wont even hear about it and you wont be mentioning it now.

Member Avatar
cuteShama
Newbie Poster
2 posts since Oct 2011

No, Actually it can be signed in next time whenever you want to sign in it don't require any lengthy procedure to re activate your account.
thanks

Member Avatar
Azmah
Junior Poster
192 posts since Jul 2010

Yes, true, I should probably ask them.

Yet, lately, my friends have been telling me they can find me on fb? I am pretty annoyed that my account has been reactivated, if it's true. Then again, it may not be and people are still able to search me; if I was to attempt to login, I may truly activate it :(

Your right, cuteShama, they lie!

Member Avatar
samidha
Newbie Poster
12 posts since Jan 2012

some times it is necessary to keep your activity details alive bcz of all these frods and terrorism activities through social networking...Also botnet attacks through chating probes i.e IRC... so they delete it for you but have complete knowledge kept as it is abt our all moves.. :)

Member Avatar
Coloradojaguar
Junior Poster in Training
83 posts since Sep 2011
Q&As Helped to Solve: 4 [?]

No you aren't really inactive as a page so much as a user. All the info. is still there waiting for you to change your mind as far as I know. Also, if you are a regular Facebook user many of you may want to be aware that you have less than seven days before the timeline change becomes mandatory on your account. Check it out and scour your pages of the past if you need to do so.

You
This article has been dead for over three months: Start a new discussion instead
View similar articles that have also been tagged: