Alright, I know it's stupid, but I felt the sudden urge to make a computer without electricity, choosing paper and pencil as my choice.

Where do I begin?

It would be preferred, to a conclusion,that this be able to solve calculus - lim,deriv,integrals..

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

Okay, what's your input and output method? Do you want to go more along the lines of a slide ruler with slides or wheels, or maybe a very large complex mechanical system made out of origami pieces?

Or do you mean making electric components out of paper and graphite? You can make resistors by etching a current path with a pencil on thick paper and putting two leds on the ends or create a variable resister with a paper clip. I've heard of people making capacitors out of old books and some foil. Transistors are a whole different game requiring you to dope material.

As in, drawing the circuit, having circles filled in or not, respectively, 1 and 0, putting in input using binary, following paths all the way through, filling in circles and getting to the outpu, then converting the binary output to standard arabic numerals.

Sharpen your pencil first.

You may also want to determine your kind of paper. A tissue paper or a cardboard?

Listen. Im asking to see if anybody has basic computer diagrams logic gate by logic gate. Im not trying to use electricity at all.

Then you need to lit a candle as well.

commented: Is this sarcasm, if so I LIKE +0

I quit.
I got a 1bit adder to work, and ive found more and more complicated diagrams.

So are you saying you stopped building your computer on paper?

I quit.

This is what happens to all those who try to reinvent the wheel.

I got a 1bit adder to work, and ive found more and more complicated diagrams.

No shit sherlock; who would've thought that making a computer is actually quite difficult? :icon_wink:

I quit dealing with you guys xD.

You can't blame people for giving you smart-aleck answers on this one. If the post was a serious one, you had to phrase it as such and stick it in a real forum. Obviously all real computers involve people placing gates, latches, transistors, etc. on paper first, and engineering students around the world design computers on paper just like people design cars on paper (well, probably mostly in CAD nowadays instead). If you had phrased it differently and asked for help on some specific aspect, as well as not put it in the Geek's Lounge, and possibly picked something less ambitious than Calculus, you might have gotten real help. But the way you phrased it guarantees smartass comments: "make a computer without electricity, choosing paper and pencil as my choice". You sound like the Professor on Gilligan's Island. You need to build your own computer to get off the island and you don't have anything but paper, so you need to build your own resistors and transistors out of them and maybe hook Gilligan to a treadmill chasing a banana to generate the electricity.

Who's going to spend time explaining how to connect a bunch of adders into something that does calculus only to risk having you come back and say "No, no, I meant 'How do I make a transistor out of paper?'"?

In addition, start a thread with "Alright, I know it's stupid..." and expect people to come up with corny answers.

commented: agree +0

You can't blame people for giving you smart-aleck answers on this one. If the post was a serious one, you had to phrase it as such and stick it in a real forum.

Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah.
Woah.

Chill.
I didn't mean "I quit", as in I'm pissed off.
I was just "loling" at the situation. :\

>> Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah. Woah. Chill.

Not sure what necessitates all the "whoas". I'm perfectly calm. I was perfectly calm when I wrote it.

>> I was just "loling" at the situation. :\

I'm aware of what "xD" means.

>> I didn't mean "I quit", as in I'm pissed off.

Just pointing out that if you wanted real answers to a real technical question, you went about it the wrong way.

commented: *nods* +0
Member Avatar for iamthwee

You guys have way too much time. Whatever happened to downloading the FPGA xilinx starter kit? Logic gates from paper?

You need to be more relaxed and calm. You can get all answers here only if you post them in places order than the lounge(i.e.places for serious business).

I have a suggestion.. I can see very well that people here are misunderstanding each other..
So, why don't we "state our emotional state" when we "post a post".. E.g:

Calm:
Please, try to be more explicit with your questions because we can't understand you this way!

E.g 2:

Angry:
Please, try to be more explicit with your questions because we can't understand you this way!

How about this?
Of course I'm kidding :D

Calm, but vexed:
Since there are emoticons, then you're also trying to "re-invite the wheel" ;)
(No offence)

I have a suggestion.. I can see very well that people here are misunderstanding each other..
So, why don't we "state our emotional state" when we "post a post".. E.g:

E.g 2:

How about this?
Of course I'm kidding :D

thats why we have smileys......they help

Calm, but vexed:
Since there are emoticons, then you're also trying to "re-invite the wheel" ;)
(No offence)

I intended to make my reply that way to make it suitable for this thread. :D
I think you've "used my wheels", haven't you? :icon_eek:

I ended up using a program to build a 4bit ALU. :)

I ended up using a program to build a 4bit ALU. :)

Great.....good job

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.