When did you start programming and what language did you start in? Here, I'll start:

I started when I was around 15 but kinda stopped for awhile because it seemed too difficult. So around 17, I really got back into it and started learning more and more as I progressed. I still don't know as much as I would like and I enjoy it so much I am currently in college for Computer Software Engineering and it is everything I hoped it would be.

I am most proficient in Visual Basic but I know a lot of C# and some C++. These are the main languages I am focusing on now. I have created a Android application in Java using Eclipse as my compiler but it was just like C# essentially so it really wasn't much of a challenge.

Sorry for the life story of my progression as a programmer but it seemed like the right thing to do ;)

So now that I have went over my life, I will kinda give an outline of my programming experience:
1. I started when I was 15 but not extensively (I am 19 now)
2. I have coded in VB, C#, C++, Java, HTML, SQL, and some PHP
3. I have coded everything from a calculator to a Server Creator/Manager for PC Games (Terraria)
4. I have created some software for local businesses (Library - manage books and such)
5. There is a lot more but it would take too long to explain it all.
6. Also, I am not great at creating things for Xbox360 (except for MW2, WAW, and COD4 patches/GPDs)

Recommended Answers

All 64 Replies

I have coded in VB, C#, C++, Java, HTML, SQL, and some PHP

HTML is not considered a programming language but i must say you've made a commendable progress. i actually started programming in 2008 and I've focused intensively on VB.NET though with understanding of C# but no project executed i it yet. Recently, am trying to move to something platform independent so am reading up on java.

Best wishes!

I started programming almost 3 years ago, when I was 11. First I did some HTML (which is not programming language indeed), but then I really quickly jumped into C++, which is still my language of choice.
Currently, I know C++, Python, some Lisp, and trying to learn Assembly.

Sadly, I did not work on any "big" projects yet -- my biggest one was only 800 lines of code (this was command prompt program, so it is actually more then it sounds like, because in VC++ it takes about that much code to make a window and message loop :D)

I started programming about 1-1.5 yrs ago. I have been on-and-of but now I'm getting more into it. Since I have many interests, I haven't fully focused on it. I am also a web developer so I know my scripting languages (X)HTML + CSS (going to learn Javascript soon. I have a great ebook on it, if anyone want one). I am currently learning C++ and want to learn Python soon (since I also like animation and all. Blender and Maya uses it. Avatar was created in Maya). With web development, I am currently working on a project to develop our layout for our site that my friend will then code the rest up for Joomla (see my signature below to know more about our site).

If you're getting serious about C++, look a wxWidgets. I just posted a question about it. I say this because I'm not sure if I should yet you may like it.

Of-course! I'm not going to stop there. I'm going to learn as much as I can. I have alot of ideas in my head that I would like to bring into reality.

professionally,1972
punched cards on shared VMS servers creting bank software
MonEcs Fortran

I started my first programming language (HTML) when I was in grade 5. It wasn't any school project or anything but I just loved to tamper with the source of different websites. Then near the end of grade 5 I got a manual on html where I started to learn html fluently. By the end of grade 6 I had learnt html fluently and had started on Javascript. I received as a birthday present a CD with 10,000 Javascript codes that I could fiddle around with and I did indeed. It was by the time I was in mid grade 8 before I got a good understanding of Javascript but didn't do much programming between grades 8 and 10a. Yes I repeated a year. 10a. From grades 9 to 10a I learn't a programming language called gml (Gamemaker Language) which taut me the concepts of loops, if statements and algorithms. I loved my algorithms. So by the time I was in 10b (second attempt at grade 10) I learnt PHP then C++ and before I knew it I was starting to learn every language in existence. As per today, I like to teach others like on daniweb and on occasion learn a bit about circuitry. And yes I still love my algorithms.

commented: +1 internets that is very motivating. haha your a cool dude +0

I started last june because i am an IT haha. not really into this but have to deal with. im still finding ways to love programming. (my teacher said that you know that your into something when you work hard of it and then become happy and proud when you finish it). true true...

im 16 :D

When did you start programming and what language did you start in?

I started in 1996 with C. Technically my first language was COBOL, but it was too brief of a time to be meaningful. ;)

Wow. this people are legends! :D +1 internets

10-12 QBasic, looked around at other languages. Started C\C++ around 13-14, got decent by 16, started writing things like assemblers, mutators, byte code catalyst, disassemblers, etc. at 17, but kind-of stopped doing any real coding around then. So I haven't done any serious programming in a couple years(other than novelty code and a Java game), did start revising and documenting projects around Winter semester, but I had other none programming related projects to deal with.

In 1966. Fortran on an IBM 1620. Input and output were both via punched cards. I taught myself Fortran from a book - the university I was attending didn't have programming classes yet. Since 1966, I've programmed in Icetran, PL/1, BAL, C, Visual Basic, Windows Script host, Powershell, and others which are not coming to mind.

Oh, by the way, I still like Fortran - I've got and Intel Fortran 90 compiler which runs in the Virtual XP VM on this Windows 7 Ultimate machine.

In 1966. Fortran on an IBM 1620. Input and output were both via punched cards. I taught myself Fortran from a book - the university I was attending didn't have programming classes yet. Since 1966, I've programmed in Icetran, PL/1, BAL, C, Visual Basic, Windows Script host, Powershell, and others which are not coming to mind.

Oh, by the way, I still like Fortran - I've got and Intel Fortran 90 compiler which runs in the Virtual XP VM on this Windows 7 Ultimate machine.

Glad to see somebody in these forums with decades of experience. Perhaps you could program a C compiler in punched cards. I'm sure that would make a popular product in today's market as it would speed up the language astronomically and make a great sale. I would buy it. :)

I started coding professionally with COBOL in 1984. Since that time I've learned a few other languages (about 17) and other platforms/technologies to try and stay relevant (and employed :D)

I started programming when i was 13 guess what is the programming language..

it is BASIC - yes the old basic.

When i was 18 years old after i done my two years schooling on computer science..My first project is only a landing page and day by day i learned by my self to do some CMS and creating a websites and some navigation etc..In fact you can see one of the website in my signiture..:)

Started around 1984 I guess when I was 11. Was able to buy an Acorn Atom with a whopping 16K of memory. Quite enough for learning assembly back then.

Started around 1984 I guess when I was 11. Was able to buy an Acorn Atom with a whopping 16K of memory. Quite enough for learning assembly back then.

Wow 16K of memory. That's a lot. Must have cost you a fortune. I wonder where I can buy a computer with 16K of memory with an affordable price because they are hard to find since their so new.;)

I started programming when i was 13 guess what is the programming language..

it is BASIC - yes the old basic.

Damn! beat me by one year, I was 14, wrote my first program in BASIC, number guessing game, I was proud!

Damn! beat me by one year, I was 14, wrote my first program in BASIC, number guessing game, I was proud!

If i my memory serves well.

input a = 3
input b=2

sum c = a + b

was fun

I started when I was 9, and was learning a game's script engine language (I think it was called Action Script), then, a couple of months later, I bought a book on C++, and learned the book's contents in a couple of days (Up to classes, and yes, I mean a couple of days. It was summer break, and I loved it). I learned some HTMl, and similar things but didn't really like it.

About now, I became interested in Linux, so, I used my dad's old laptop from work which had a Core 2 Duo processor, 2 GB of RAM and a pretty decent graphics card and put Ubuntu 9.10(?) on it.

I had a major (by my standards... like 10,000 lines, or so, total... I've reduced that to like 2,000 now) project idea but wanted it to be cross-platform, so I learned Java as well as I needed to. I'm still working on it now, but am at this point more just fooling with it, trying to improve it, and make it more professional looking, and tons faster, as it's rather slow... dunno why..).
I've learned some Javascript, PHP, Assembly (really bad at that!), and a couple of other things that were really just a waste of time.

I think that's about right (I'm 13 now).

Well i have start two years ago now i am junior programmer in my company.

started bout 4 years ago during my foundation year and degree..
Learn C at first then some on VB, .net, ASP.. .. ..

I started learning programming 4 years ago (when I was 12), back then I really wanted to learn PHP to write forum software. I learnt PHP (only the basics tho) but I failed at every major project I attempted (forum software, online game). Back then I was so enthusiastic! Well, later I went on to learning JavaScript, which I disliked, then I did some HTML (technically not 'programming'). Anyway about 2 years ago I started to learn Python (awesome), then I got a tutor to teach me Ruby (awesome, too). Since ruby is so simple, I finished a lot of projects with it. Then me and my tutor both moved to different countries, so while I was bored not having any lessons, I started C++ (about half a year ago). Now I have a pretty decent knowledge of C++, but I haven't ever worked on any really huge project.

I started fiddling with QBasic and batch files when I was 10. Funny thing is, my company mostly uses Visual Basic 6 for everything so I am not too far off of what I was doing back then :P (I am 23 now)

professionally? 1997.
As a student? 1990.
As a hobby? 1985 or so, give or take a year (never seen a computer before that time, some of the first things I did on it was create a custom menu system to replace the box full of commands to start common programs).

I started in 1982(?) while on active duty in the US Air Force. We had an HP computer that ran HP basic, pretty advanced for its day, more like PASCAL than QB. After retirement I bought a cheap computer from Radio Shack, a book (c language), and my career took off from there.

As a chemistry student in 1971 I programmed in FORTRAN IV, I punched holes in cards. I gave them to the administrator and recieved a printer listing with lots of errors. :S

As a chemistry student in 1971 I programmed in FORTRAN IV, I punched holes in cards. I gave them to the administrator and recieved a printer listing with lots of errors. :S

Ouch! I bet you have a lot more respect for languages like C# than a lot of other people on here :P .

I started at age 9 in QBASIC writing .bat files and making small programs with them. I know about 7 different languages, including but not limited to C++, Ruby On Rails, PHP, and ActionScript 2 and 3. I am still perfecting my C++ by taking a college course, so I will be at my best.

I started programming about 1-1.5 yrs ago. I have been on-and-of but now I'm getting more into it. Since I have many interests, I haven't fully focused on it. I am also a web developer so I know my scripting languages (X)HTML + CSS (going to learn Javascript soon. I have a great ebook on it, if anyone want one). I am currently learning C++ and want to learn Python soon (since I also like animation and all. Blender and Maya uses it. Avatar was created in Maya). With web development, I am currently working on a project to develop our layout for our site that my friend will then code the rest up for Joomla (see my signature below to know more about our site).

If you're getting serious about C++, look a wxWidgets. I just posted a question about it. I say this because I'm not sure if I should yet you may like it.

Of-course! I'm not going to stop there. I'm going to learn as much as I can. I have alot of ideas in my head that I would like to bring into reality.

I am just entering the IT field of things. What exactly is all involved in programming??

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.