1.11M Members

Programmers & Body Modifications

Culture and tradition....two terrible setbacks in my part of the world. I bet you, you cant step into any government building with such looks. First, you may a suspected hoodlum or an irresponsible creature and you would never be taken seriously no matter how much idea you have or the best of solutions you offer in your proposals. same in private sector companies. Besides, if you owned a company yourself, would you like to see your representative appear on National/International TV with all of that? I guess it would send the wrong signal about your firm to the public

I own my own company, and I have regularly appeared on national television looking like that and representing my company. I t has never done me, or my company, any harm.

The kind of public that judge a book by the cover are not the kind of public I want to do business with, frankly.

I am lucky that, after 20 years in the business, I can pick and choose my clients and do just that. I only work with people I like. Read my previous posts and you will see, however, that my often very challenging looks have never held me back career wise. In fact, they have got me more work than I have ever lost - including a stint presenting a couple of TV series here in the UK.

including a stint presenting a couple of TV series here in the UK.

Which TV shows have you presented ?

Sorry if that comes across wrong it is a genuine question, i live in the north west near Liverpool (I'm not a scouser) so i might have seen you on the TV before without realising.

dont get many UK tv in Aus or Can, but, the byline in old
.Net PC_Direct PC_Pro Computer_Life
magazines
The Times on Sunday (2 weeks late)
3 books on my shelves
awards out the wazoo

guru << happygeek

I used to be known as Wavey Davey back then (punky looking bloke in wheelchair at first, then with a stick) and presented some stuff for The Late Show (BBC) which I also wrote about the music scene. I also wrote for and presented on The Net (BBC) which was the first prog in the UK which really looked at the Internet from a cultural as well as technical perspective - did OK, got a couple of million viewers per show. Then there were bits and bobs over the years on TV and radio, including being one of the in-studio presenters for the Radio One Internet Night which was the first interactive/collaborative live radio and Internet broadcast (we had Blur playing live at the Cyberia cybercafe in London, and me and the guy who used to produce Yazz taking questions in the studio about the Internet, from a music perspective, with Jo Wiley). This was all back in the very early 90's though, at the start of the Internet revolution on this side of the pond.

Funnily enough, I'm on the verge of starting doing TV again with a prime-time show for Channel 4 called Scambusters which will be a cross between The Real Hustle and Watchdog, combining consumer journalism with hands-on stuff in order to warn people about the types of scams they can face today. I will be one of three presenters, taking on the role of the security/hacking expert and demonstrating how the hacks/scams actually work. If the show gets commissioned that is, so far it's looking very good with C4 loving everything we've done to this point and so could just be down to budgets now.

Which TV shows have you presented ?

Sorry if that comes across wrong it is a genuine question, i live in the north west near Liverpool (I'm not a scouser) so i might have seen you on the TV before without realising.

dont get many UK tv in Aus or Can, but, the byline in old
.Net PC_Direct PC_Pro Computer_Life
magazines
The Times on Sunday (2 weeks late)
3 books on my shelves
awards out the wazoo

guru << happygeek

Awww shucks :)

Currently have settled into being Contributing Editor for PC Pro (for past 16 years or so) along with my DaniWeb roles and Contributing Editorships at IT Pro and Cloud Pro as well. Plenty of other stuff in-between, but such is the CV of a jobbing freelance journalist and author I guess.

I used to be known as Wavey Davey

Wow i just did a Google search on Wavey Davey (i do remember the name) and didn't quite get what i was expecting . . . the I.T. department won't be happy with that. There was one picture of a guy with keyboard.

You'll have to let me know if it gets the go-ahead so i can watch it.

I think there may be another NSFW Wavey Davey who dominates the Google results these days :)

Okay, so I'm aspiring to be a software programmer (I am only 17 and are yet to go through College/University), but I was just wondering, what do people that hire Programmers think of body modifications? Personally I love them, but I don't want them to affect my possible future career. By body modifications I mean facial piercings, stretched piercings and tattoos. When I leave university I will have 2x 30mm (1" 1/8) ear lobes, 4mm inner conchs (cartilage in the back of your ear), 10mm septum (fleshy bottom of the nose), snake bites, 2x anti-eyebrows, and 2 sleeves, chest tattoo and a swallow tattoo on my neck.

It will make life more difficult. If you're one of the top .1% programmers, that difficulty may be so miniscule that you never notice, but in general, you'll have to work harder to demonstrate your skill so that people will overlook your apperance. It's all a matter of what's most important to you.

You
This article has been dead for over six months: Start a new discussion instead
Tags Related to this Article