I read that the Raspberry Pi computer has been released. It's a tiny little thing that is about the size of a billfold, uses an SD card, and runs Linux. Best part is, it costs about $35. Yes, you read that right.

Anyone checked into it, acquired one, plan to get one? What would you do with it?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Member Avatar for diafol

I'd get one if somebody could explain to me what was the point of it. Do you use it instead of a smartphone? Instead of a laptop? Tablet?

I read that you plug a TV and a keyboard into it. And then...? Confused.

I concur.

On the one hand, they tout it as "promoting computing education". You know, the whole barebones-basics, learn to program, push Linux on the unwashed masses, that sort of thing.

On the other hand, I can see it being a low-cost solution for replacing pricey or clunky home-use devices for people who only surf the web and check their e-mail (if such people actually exist any more).

On the other hand, I can see a definite possibility in mobile robotics. It gets people thinking about miniaturized general devices (read "not phones"), perhaps setting the stage for when IBM finally gets its whole quantum computing thing going.

Wait, that's too many hands...phoo...

Some people in my uni got some. Sold out in under 5 mins, small abtch of 10k· Not to be shipped until aug.

The higher end one has an ethernet portm USB and HDMI, people are going to make NAS boxes out of them etc...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.