A French-American duo shared the 2012 Nobel Prize in physics on Tuesday for inventing methods to observe the properties of the quantum world, research that has led to the construction of extremely precise clocks and helped scientists take the first steps toward building superfast computers.

Serge Haroche of France and American David Wineland opened the door to new experiments in quantum physics by showing how to observe individual quantum particles while preserving their quantum properties.

Hope that, from 20 years from now we can have ourfirst quantum Computer !

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Darn! I got all excited when I clicked into this thread that you were going to talk all about Scott Bakula.

haha...that is what came to mind as well for me. I used to watch that show as a kid.

I'm still waiting for the movie. There has been talk about it for years.

A Quantum Computer running Windows 28... have I just killed that dream? :o

Then again, in 20 years time we all may very well be iHumans... Quantum iHumans... and you thought it was bad when you learned that you couldn't blutooth?! :D

I can already picture it:

After a hard day's work on a new warp drive for the ferry ship to Europa (Jupiter's moon), I drive my personal flying machine back home at super-sonic speed. Before I know it, I'm sitting in my entirely automated home, and I decide I feel like slashing some monsters. So, I grab my super-powerful quantum computer, plug it into my cortex implant (via a pico-USB cable) to enter the virtual world of Diablo XIV, but then, I read: "Please wait while Windows 28 is installing 143 critical updates. Do not unplug your implant from the computer. Only 87 minutes remaining..."

commented: This is funny :P +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.