i grew up with cartoon network and animax... cartoon network has gone bogus , but i dont feel the same for animax. i saw that SOS , the admin from the java forum has baen nido (from Get Backers ) in his display pic, a character who used to be my fav during school days.. so i thought id ask if there are other people who love cartoons/anime too?

Recommended Answers

All 28 Replies

You'll find several people here who love the stuff. Various ages as well. For example, I'm 59. Go to the advanced search (Click on Search but don't enter a search string), then use Anime for the search string and Geeks Lounge for the forum and you'll get numerous hits.

So, what are some of your favourites?

pretty much grew up with dexter , scooby doo and the likes...
back in my high school days loved get backers , inu yasha, and full metal alchemist. i never got to see the ending of any of them as the channel stopped airing suddenly. got the channel back a few months ago.. loved the bleach series, and currently loving full metal brotherhood :)

The second Full Metal Alchemist series was much better than the first. A few of my favourites were

• Death Note
  • Trigun
  • Samurai Champloo
  • Monster

One Piece
Bleach
Death Note
Trigun
Naruto
Dragonball (Classic. This is what first got me hooked)
FMA (Like Rev says, second is definitely best)
FairyTail (really loving this one)
Katekyo Hitman Reborn (slightly disappointing - the manga is drawn really well though)
Code Geass (not watched the second part yet)
D.Gray Man (this one is looking good)
Soul Eater
Afro Samurai (just too cool)

I love the studio ghibli stuff too.

I'd watch and read more but I just don't have as much time as I used to.

Full Metal Panic (not the fumofu version) has the best last words of any villain.

I forgot to mention Cowboy Be-Bop.

i forgot all about that too! simply loved it. dragon ball z is was and will be a classic . only cartoon network keeps repeating the episodes to death! i wish i had a fast unlimited download scheme net connection... would have downloaded the shows!

i had watched a few episodes of fairyTail when we used to get animax back in my school days, i liked it then , but recently , the new episode version has started airing... and it looks a bit silly :/ a chicken guy who shoots eggs from his mouth ... :P

have anyone watched heidi? its an old one.. and if i watch it i dont know how ill feel about it , but back in my 3rd-4th grade days... it was simply beautiful . loved it. even my mom would sit with me and watch heidi :)

I am no fan of anime but i have to admit, i did enjoy playing the naruto and dragon ball z games when i was younger (at my friends house... i could never win in any of those games).

The first couple of iterations of Kaiji were interesting. I never would have thought rock-paper-scissors could actually have a strategy. Someone clearly put a lot of thought into it. I also enjoyed Gurren Lagann although it got a bit silly at the end. It reminded me a bit of the E. E. "Doc" Smith stories with the weapons getting exponentially larger and more powerful.

only cartoon network keeps repeating the episodes to death

I hope they weren't "Americanized". I've seen what they do to perfectly good anime. Dialog is destroyed (I prefer the original with subtitles) and even the actual animation is redone at times to tone down some of the violence, sometimes to the point where it makes no sense. I recall what they did to the old Bugs Bunny cartoons because the censors thought they were too violent.

First Anime I ever saw was Outlaw Star. Still have the DVD box collection :)

Cowboy Be-Bop is awesome, and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is definitely the best (sticks to the manga more faithfully also)

I'm currently eating my way through Fairy Tail but it's becoming the same ol' same ol' Shounen genre such as Naruto and Bleach.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann was particularly awesome for the sheer scale of its audacity :)

I also like the "slice of life" genre like Lucky Star :)

I have watched possibly hundreds of anime and when I get home can send you a screenshot of everything I've watched and I couldn't possibly go through each one :P

I hope they weren't "Americanized"

Dragonball is the only series that I feel improved when it was dubbed. The Bruce Faulconer music is awesome and Goku sounds less whiney.

For the majority I agree though. The english speaking voice actors just don't seem to have the passion for it that their Japanese counterparts do.

I hope they weren't "Americanized". I've seen what they do to perfectly good anime.

It's gotten better over the years, but I was turned off to any kind of modification ("americanizing", or even dubbing) since the travesty of Sailor Moon in the English adaptation.

I personally think Dragonball and Outlaw Star both are improved by the English VA. However, there is some nuance missing in both by translation into English.

I mostly agree with Tinnin though, dubs just don't sound right. Disjointed and too..."kidified"

when I get home can send you a screenshot of everything I've watched

That won't be necessary. Just names will do and it takes up a lot less space. I find that when the shows are dubbed into English the voices are to cartoony or caricaturish if you know what I mean. Maybe the original sounds the same to someone from Japan.

I personally think Dragonball and Outlaw Star both are improved by the English VA.

I might agree with Dragonball Z, if only because Goku's seiyuu doesn't seem to fit the character very well in my opinion.

Yes anime is something that I am passionate about.
My favorites are:

Deathnote
Dark Butler (Even though it was not completely similar to the manga series)
Dragonball
Fairy Tail
Full Metal Alemchist(The new version since it is much closer to the manga)

This is to name a few. And I am wondering is anyone anyone else cosplay?

And I am wondering is anyone anyone else cosplay?

I may do something for this year's Dragon*Con. Haven't decided yet.

I have not been there since I am limited on money. Usually I got to Youmacon since it is an easy drive for me. I am thinking of doing a misty cosplay.

I live spitting distance from Atlanta, so the only cost is the membership and whatever I'd spend on loot. ;)

Very true. Getting the pocky at convections are fun. Do people "glomp"(attack/hug you) at DragonCon. It is something that occurrs a lot at Youmacon. My favorite loot has been two roll out painting. Like how they do it in Japan. I have one of a dragon in the sky and of the sakura blossoms for happiness.

I find that when the shows are dubbed into English the voices are to cartoony or caricaturish if you know what I mean. Maybe the original sounds the same to someone from Japan.

Yes I know exactly what you mean :) I agree, the shows do sound the same way to the Japanese (asked this to a Japanese friend of mine in an Eve Online radio show way back when....)

Never did get around to posting what I have as I was out doing Sporty Things™ last night.

This is to name a few. And I am wondering is anyone anyone else cosplay?

I haven't done CosPlay but I would like to. Being in the UK I can't get the big ones in the US without a substantial financial outlay, but there are ones in the UK I could go to. I just don't have time to do everything I want to do, and earn the money required for doing them all, at the same time ^.^

I hope they weren't "Americanized".

in dragon ball z , what happens at my place ( country rather ) they get to a really interesting point in the show , like where majinboo hatches and then poof... back around 100 episodes... and the loop continues 3 or 4 times! it killed my interest in the show...

Dialog is destroyed (I prefer the original with subtitles)

absolutely! only exception i think is dragon ball z. but that may be partially because i started seeing the dubbed version from the very start , and liked it.

However i recently watched a few dubbed versions of bleach... the way they say "bankai" makes me laugh :D ! the original japanese version is WAY WAY better ... keeps the whole feel intact... plus got to learn a few japanese words as well :)

cartoon network is dead... but i have fond memories of justice league... and the all the other MARVEL comic avatars. i loved dexter! i wish dee dee wasnt a pest :P poor boy :D

i saw a few comic-con videos in you tube... man there were some beautiful ladies !! :P ( im still a college kid , so i guess i can still say that without being gross or anything :P )

A bit late to the party but...

so i thought id ask if there are other people who love cartoons/anime too?

Yup, I'm an avid anime viewer with around 150 days of anime viewing time, which IMO is quite a significant number (maybe pales in comparison to deceptikun's?). If you ever feel like tracking your anime viewing history and at the same time chat a bit with like-minded folks, give MyAnimeList a try.

in dragon ball z , what happens at my place ( country rather ) they get to a really interesting point in the show , like where majinboo hatches and then poof... back around 100 episodes... and the loop continues 3 or 4 times! it killed my interest in the show...

I have pretty much given up on Animax. If you really are interested in watching or picking up a series, just search around for online anime viewing sites; there are lots of them. These sites provide you the flexibility of viewing anime at your own pace. After all, there isn't a lot you can do if you want to watch anime and live in a country like India with practically zero anime market.

My favorite is also the Dragon Ball Z.

I mostly remember the time when Goku fights with Frieza on Namek.
Where Frieza tells that, "This planet will explode in 5 minutes".
But It actually took almost 10 to 12 episodes that is about 250 to 300 minutes.

My especially favorite was Gohan first becuase of his powers but Goku & Gogeta are my new favorite.
I didn't like when Gohan got his Saiyaman outfit. It totally look funny.

The mistake of every villain in the series is giving Goku enought time to create his spirit bomb.
I usually try to give my power to Goku when it comes to use of spirit bomb & my parents thought what I am doing?
That was totally funny during my childhood.

Yea. I always need to save money from my summer job so that I can buy anything that perks my interests. Right now I am trying to build up and collect all manga books of Hana Kimi. I love that gender bender romance story.

Right now I am trying to build up and collect all manga books of Hana Kimi.

One of my favorites, and I'm still waiting with baited breath for a decent anime adaptation (the live action was awful). If you like Hana Kimi then you'll also probably like W Juliet, Princess Princess, and Day of Revolution. Sadly, there's not much in the gender bender genre with substance, but there are a few gems. The three I mentioned along with Hana Kimi get top spots on my manga bookcase. ;)

p.s. Be warned that the the last volume of Hana Kimi in English ends in chapter 144 when the series actually ends with an epilogue chapter 145. You'll probably need to read a scanlated version of the last chapter online, but it's a good ending.

I would add KurageHime to that gender-bender list; I have seen the anime adaptation and it's good IMO.

Well I go to a site that does free scanlations and it shows the last chapter where a classmate is getting married to Rie. That is weird that would not be in the english version. And yes the live actionf for Hana Kimi was terrible, coudl not even finsish the first episode. I will have to look into these four gender bender mangas.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.