I loved the original Dungeon Keeper and Dungeon Keeper 2 back when Bullfrog made them. I spent untold amounts of time playing the games!
EA has now ported Dungeon Keeper to mobile devices, and not in a good way.
Just to play 1 level normally, you need to pay anywhere from $2.50 USD to $12.00 USD in micro transactions.
Why the #### did EA decide to ruin such a classic game ?
[ LINK TO GAME ]

Millions of fans of the original games would be more than willing to pay $40 USD or more for a copy of the original 2 games ( if they were updated for modern operating systems ) .

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

actually, they are updated for modern systems, and can, like tons of other older games, be bought for a small fee on GOG.com.
I bought mine there a few weeks back (along with the original Carmageddon) and I can assure you, they work pretty well, but of course the graphics 'll seem very out of date :)

Because people don't want to pay for anything.

You go on a mobile store, want to find a game. Oh this costs 20p??? I'm not paying for it! People will download a game for free, get drawn in and then need to spend money on it. This is the driving motivation. "I'm not paying for a game" yet "I need to pay to complete this level. PLX TAKE ALL MY MONEY!"

I find it incredibly annoying. But, the common user has driven the market this way...

There are several old MS-DOS games I would like to see ported, regardless of price. Eye of the Beholder is just one of them. That was a very fun game.

EA used to produce great software. They created some of the best software released on the Amiga. However, from what I hear about them these days they are pretty much evil incarnate.

However, from what I hear about them these days they are pretty much evil incarnate.

They've just taken the Dungeon Keeper motto of "It's good to be bad" to heart.

However, from what I hear about them these days they are pretty much evil incarnate.

I lost all respect for them when they took over and ruined the Red Alert franchise. They are just so BORING! Their games feel standardized and uncreative because everything has been designed so you can use the same simple strategy throughout the entire game.

The move to tablet/phone and gaming console games is killing the RTS. Micro-transaction games I agree is really annoying, I don't see the point of playing since essentially you just pay money to win. I'd be much happier to pay more upfront to get a good game with a variety of challenges.

I don't see the point of playing since essentially you just pay money to win.

In my day we called that pinball.

pay to win is the standard business model for MMOs now.
And yes, it is caused by the attitude among people that they don't want to pay for things. So you draw them in with a free game, then have an item mall where to buy what you need to win (experience boosters, super weapons, bad ass armour, you name it).
The Koreans are masters at it.

Elder Scrolls Online is going for a subscription model, every gaming website out there screams that "they're committing suicide by not giving it away for free"...
Of course most of those "free to play" games (which are all "pay to win") only last a few months before the in game situation is completely poisoned and the users leave, the game then being relaunched under a slightly different name by the same company using a slightly different trade name and the process starts again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.