As it says really, check out www.ie7.com which seems to have slipped past Microsoft for now at least.

Recommended Answers

All 30 Replies

Member Avatar for GreenDay2001

it's a bit sorry really funny and amusing. The name is www.ie7.com and the the big picture in the home page is of firefox, and you finally reach to Firefox page. How did you found that. I feel pity for Microsoft :) .

That site has been up for awhile now.......

Microsoft really ought to know better and do the domain grabs well in advance, it isn't like it cannot afford it after all.

This site existed from some time back. Some member (I don't remember who) had that site in his signature too.

I feel pity for Microsoft :) .

I don't see why. Does firefox have to rely on users looking to download Internet Explorer 7 to propogate itself :)?

I know, just thought it appropriate to mention it again now seeing that IE7 has finally been made available as release code...

I wonder if M$ will try and get the domain by releasing 1000s of dollars to the guy :D

never know. I doubt whether Microsoft knows there is such a domain.:)

I would be mightily surprised if MS did not know about it, and even more surprised if the lawyers had not at least been looking into the possibility of cease and desist orders.

Of course, the fact that it was registered way back in 1999, long before IE7 had made any kind of appearance, might just make things difficult for MS in this regard.

Seems that you have done full research regarding that.

I wonder what could MS do. IE7.COM haven't placed anything about Internet Explorer + Neither this site nor Mozilla is connected with Microsoft header and just a link to firefox. Above all it was registered back in 1999. Surely it has to pay 1000s dollers to that guy.

My research was a quick WHOIS :)

I'm not sure that MS could even go for the trademark infringement angle, is IE7 trademarked does anyone know?

I'm not sure that MS could even go for the trademark infringement angle, is IE7 trademarked does anyone know?

agree with that.:p;)

It got me really confused :)

Microsoft really ought to know better and do the domain grabs well in advance, it isn't like it cannot afford it after all.

It's all about preparation - go ahead and grab IE8 and IE9 now :)

or something like firefox2.com :)

It's all about preparation - go ahead and grab IE8 and IE9 now :)

or something like firefox2.com :)

Good luck. I did a little bit of researching at register.com, and firefox1.com through firefox21.com are all taken. ie.com is even more taken, but interestingly enough, internetexplorer10.com is still available! Microsoft really isn't thinking ahead on this one.

and all are owned by a single guy. he has even put that for sale. maybe he is doing so that MS would pay him for such domain.

It's quite surprising, considering MS registered windowsvista.com immediately after they announced the name of the OS then code named "Longhorn". Ah well. These are some of the best things in life.

It is antics like these that make me feel bad about using firefox in the first place. I feel as if I am somehow a pawn in these petty browser wars. Thank god ie7 is available at last. :)

Wolfie, I can totally understand your sentiments. I kinda felt the same way when I first saw that website. Ah well, like they say, "One man's meat is another man's poison."

commented: Well put. +4

"One man's meat is another man's poison."

Well put.

Indeed.

Why do people get so worked up about which browser/OS/platform people use?

Heck, does it really matter if someone prefers Windows to Linux or vice versa, or IE to Firefox for that matter?

I doubt Microsoft really care that those websites are there because microsoft rely on people who are low end computer users for the web browser which means they will mainly just google IE7 and that website doesn't come up.

I wonder whether the guy who owns ie7.com is getting any money from firefox.

and all are owned by a single guy. he has even put that for sale. maybe he is doing so that MS would pay him for such domain.

Likely. It's called domain squatting and is not looked on lightly by most people on the net and courts have frequently ordered such people to hand over the domains.
Spreading false information isn't either...

Of course Microsoft has more at stake here, and the negative press they would get (despite being in the right) when going after these idiots will likely be worse than the annoyance they're causing.

Indeed.

Why do people get so worked up about which browser/OS/platform people use?

Heck, does it really matter if someone prefers Windows to Linux or vice versa, or IE to Firefox for that matter?

The only people who get worked up about it are people who think it's cool to be "against" Microsoft...
Microsoft couldn't care less if you use another browser, the main reason for them to build one by now is because it provides both a technology demonstrator, a service to customers, and the core for several other products.

Ouch isn't that a burn lol...

Hmmm, kind of funny really.
Hard to beleive MS missed that opportunity - normally quick of the mark in that sort of thing!

As for those mentioning Domain NAme Squatting etc.... that should be made illegal - so long as the name isn't being used (All thos stupid look-up and search sites bug me no end!)...

Yet that one is being used - well and trully :)

As for Browser-Wars... I don't think people/Companies should be coding the browsers - only the additional functions/features.
The core Browser stuff ought to be coded and realeased - at least that way there would be a stable, realiable, cross-system browser and rules... hell, you might even get conformity and compatability with guidelines (Well, worth asking Santa for any ways ;) )

As for Browser-Wars... I don't think people/Companies should be coding the browsers - only the additional functions/features.

So...who would code the original browser? The machines themselves?

The core Browser stuff ought to be coded and realeased - at least that way there would be a stable, realiable, cross-system browser and rules... hell, you might even get conformity and compatability with guidelines (Well, worth asking Santa for any ways ;) )

Released how? Via sale, or freeware, or ??? Microsoft tries to turn a profit; I'm having trouble seeing them willing to release pretty much anything that isn't completely under their control.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.