To Tame a Land

Sweet.

Now I've gotta go dig up an old Iron Maiden CD.

Jupiter. It's practically a star and has some other weird features.

my favourite "solar body" is Ceres, the biggest of the astroids in the astroid belt.

it;s not offically a planet, but it is almost a planet, itls sort of like a family pet to the solar system.

but Pluto you say? it's moon Charon is much too large to be considered a moon and pluto a bit to small to be considered a full fledged planet, so instead some people call Pluto and Charon a "binary system" (excuse me :)

"Plutoed":
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2777380

Sweet.

Now I've gotta go dig up an old Iron Maiden CD.

Jupiter. It's practically a star and has some other weird features.

You got that right. Jupiter is my fave. It's just astonishing, humongous in size, 63 natural satellites (moons). It's like a whole solar system on its own.

I used Celestia to witness how cool this planet is, and it's awesome. Turn on "Show Moon/Satellites Orbital Lines" and I've got hypnotized. :cheesy:

in fact, if Jupiter were discovered today it might well be classed as a protostar.
It's massive enough (or almost) for fusion to start, and emits a massive amount of radiation (most of it in the infrared) so there might even be fusion already.

in fact, if Jupiter were discovered today it might well be classed as a protostar.
It's massive enough (or almost) for fusion to start, and emits a massive amount of radiation (most of it in the infrared) so there might even be fusion already.

I search and learn about what protostar is. Apparently it doesn't seem to be good. :eek: From what I know, we already had sun as our star. And if it were to happen someday, another star inside a star system is not good. At least that's what I know.

Thanks, quite a learning experience. :cheesy:

I search and learn about what protostar is. Apparently it doesn't seem to be good. :eek: From what I know, we already had sun as our star. And if it were to happen someday, another star inside a star system is not good. At least that's what I know.

Thanks, quite a learning experience. :cheesy:

Naw -- it'd be ok. Just apply a little more sun screen cream and wear darker sun glasses. Might also have to pump up the air conditioner a little more. :)

Naw -- it'd be ok. Just apply a little more sun screen cream and wear darker sun glasses. Might also have to pump up the air conditioner a little more. :)

:eek:

LOL :lol:

I voted earth because I live in that planet

I voted for Saturn coz there's a nice "ring" to its name. ;)

Thats true, and if the radition "aura" from around Jupiter was visible (ie, if we could see infrared) it would be 13 times larger then the moon is in our night sky.

Take that Saturn.

sorry, edit,(I new I had my facts mixed up, so I did a little check)
It wasn't a Infrared sphere i ment but an ionosphere, and it would be closer to 6 times larger then the moon (despite being so much further away)

My favourite body in the heavens is Europa, because it has the strongest chances of having oceanic life deep under the ice. So I voted for Jupiter as it's because of Europas' close orbit around jupiter that heated oceans below the ice are a possibility.

I agree with Ancient Dragon. Where would we be without Earth?

If it wasn't for the stars there would be no heavier elements or carbon atoms and therefore no rocky planets with water and therefore no Earth and no us. It has always struck scientists as a bit uncanny that everything is... well just so. Add the smallest smidgen of heat to the equation or a tad more expansion and the whole thing falls apart.

If the big bang theory is right, every atom in your body was inside a star! Now that's no less amazing than some omnipotent being making us from a pinch of dust and a spare rib.

Something else to ponder: Take a sock, as it wears and gets holes you darn the holes. Eventually after some time all the original fibres are replaced. Is it the same sock ?

Let that sink in for a moment....

Over a cycle of approximately 7 years your body replaces all it's cells!

Unfortunately entropy ensures the darning needle ultimately becomes blunt and no further darning is possible.:(

Sorry bit off topic, but you know planets -> universe -> life -> everything... bit hard to know where to stop.

I like Earth. =)

I also like jupiter

All the other planets are puny and weak in comparison to the mighty jupiter!

What about that new one they just discovered, the one very like earth but with more gravity?

oh why is pluto a choice? It is not even a planet..;)

Uh.. perhaps my favorite would be the planet we all live on(except in class)... Earth....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.