And if he downloads the same version of XP that he bought, it would contain the same data as a backup CD, would it not?

Yes. All XP CDs are identical. Any valid key works with any XP CD of the same edition and SP

Yes. All XP CDs are identical. Any valid key works with any XP CD of the same edition and SP

not sure i agree there are oem and retail verison i don't think a retail key works with oem disk if you have an oem disk for dell the disk knows its a dell and does not even ask for a key.

"OEM vs Retail Licenses
With OEM licenses of Windows XP (when Windows is preinstalled on a system you purchase) the license stays with the computer. If you get rid of the computer, you lose the Win XP License. However, with the Retail version of the license, it can be transferred to another computer AFTER it is fully uninstalled from the original computer. Any hangup with activation or registration only takes a phone call to Microsoft to explain what you are doing with your retail copy of the software. How can you tell the difference? OEM product keys have OEM in the key number. Volume Licenses are 1 license per machine, if a license (software) is FULLY removed from one machine, it may be installed on another. Microsoft licensing information can be found at microsoft.com/licensing."

from another site

not sure i agree there are oem and retail verison i don't think a retail key works with oem disk

thats why i said:

Any valid key works with any XP CD of the same edition and SP

keyword is "edition"

thats why i said:

keyword is "edition"

sorry my fault :$

:)

*lifts laptop to look*

My product key doesn't have OEM in it, but it came with the machine and i don't have a back up cd.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Most laptops come with a crappy system restore option, arghh.

Yar, it's in the Acer recovery doda bit. I just thought i'd have an OEM license.

joeprogrammer: the action of downloading any copyrighted content via bittorrent, or any other way, is illegal. Even if he downloads xp oem, or retail, or whatever, he would be breaking the law.

joeprogrammer: the action of downloading any copyrighted content via bittorrent, or any other way, is illegal. Even if he downloads xp oem, or retail, or whatever, he would be breaking the law.

if i bought i xp cd and my 2 year old used it for a flying disk?stuff like that happens all the time you think i am going to buy a new copy just because i lost ,broke,ate the disk?if i still have a valid key code a disk is a disk you bought a licence. if you borrowed a Xp cd from a friend or download it, its not going to do you a lick of good with out a "legal" key.

I don't see a problem with it!
if you use YOUR key there not going to care.
If your trying to use a pirated key thats wrong

i thought some one was going to call Bill and ask?

joeprogrammer: the action of downloading any copyrighted content via bittorrent, or any other way, is illegal.

Prove it.

This even varies from country to country; I read that in some countries, the action of downloading copyrighted content without a license isn't actually illegal, it's merely the posession of such material without license which is prosecuted. Since we can't even know which country the original poster is from, I don't think we have enough evidence to prove that he's trying to do illegal activity.

In the US, it's illegal, in Canada it might not be, so go to Canada

commented: I'm afraid that the burden of truth lies on you for this one. Can you prove that the actions of the original poster are illegal? If so, then do so. If not, then you can bloody well shut up. -2

The fact is, we don't have enough evidence to prove that what the original poster is trying to do is illegal. We don't know the country that he/she is from, I still haven't seen conclusive proof that downloading software for which you own a license is illegal in the US, and seeing that the original poster hasn't responded or logged on since he or she started the thread, I can say that this thread is pretty much pointless.

commented: it's not over yet +0

dont ask us about that. Software piracy is bad

The user with a Metallica quote in their signature has the knee-jerk reaction to cry piracy. Hahaha... Thanks Lars.

commented: Useless. -2
commented: You revived a 2 year old thread to say that? -1

The user with a Metallica quote in their signature has the knee-jerk reaction to cry piracy. Hahaha... Thanks Lars.

Please do not resurrect ancient threads unless you have something constructive to add.

You can burn a CD Of Windows XP, but it is violated the rules of piracy,piracy is bad,

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.