I think that you'll weigh more after you shower because you'll be soaking wet and water has weight to it.

I think that you'll weigh more after you shower because you'll be soaking wet and water has weight to it.

I mean dry off your body and your hair and then weigh.....

City water is initially highly chlorinated to kill any bacteria, then filtered through a bed of charcoal to remove most of the chlorine so it can be consumed. However, charcoal and organic impurities react with the chlorine to produce amongst other things chloroform and carbon tetrachloride, both these chemicals are very well known carcinogens.

That depends on the city (or rather the waterworks where they get their water)...
Where I live the water is not treated with chlorine, nor have I ever lived in a place where there was a need to.
We use extensive biological filtration instead, pumping the water through deep sand layers.
Tastes better, and is cheaper too.

Yes, your city water contains some nasty chemicals in trace amounts, not necessarily any pesticides. Pesticides, particularly the polychlorinated ones, are added to your life by the pest control folks that you or your neighbour hires at great expense to kill a few spiders and termites.

Not necessarilly. Depends on where you are and where the water comes from.
Here the water comes from deep forest areas where there is no agriculture for long distances. Water retrieval areas are protected areas, no chemical use of any kind allowed.

Many bottled water makers purify their water using reverse osmosis and then ozonate it to keep bacterial contamination down.

and so do ever more waterworks...

OTOH the showering is supposed to cleanse you of all the dirt and grime that accumulated on your body since the last shower.
If that stuff were heavier than that water, you loose weight :)

Bottled water has no flavour and tastes like crapola!!! Tap water has lots of flavor, nice strong chlorine flavor. I like fresh rain water best.

OTOH the showering is supposed to cleanse you of all the dirt and grime that accumulated on your body since the last shower.
If that stuff were heavier than that water, you loose weight :)

Whew! This could depend on how long between showers.
Your body absorbs some water through your skin eventually leading to wrinkle-y skin so this would add weight.

and on what you did in between showers...
If you've done digging or construction work for example you're going to be covered in sweat caked dirt and grime, which can be quite thick on your skin...

Go out and get 1lb. of dirt and look at it and feel of it and you will see how ridiculous it is to think there is the remotest chance there could be that much accumulation on your skin...

I tested it out. After a seven minute shower I weight as much on the way in as I did on the way out after thoroughly toweling off. This means my dirt is in equilibrium with my water absorbtion.

Have you got city water or well water? It only works with water that has chlorine in it.

Anyway, initially we were speaking about chlorine and its harmful affects. Did you know that if you weigh yourself, and then you shower, and then weigh yourself again you will have gained app. 2 lbs. Crazy huh? check it out. Supposedly it is because of the chlorine in the water.A study was conducted at the Termuende research farm managed by the Western Beef Development
Centre. The study was conducted in 1999 by Western Beef Development Centre, Prairie Farm
Rehabilitation Administration and Research Branch of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada to determine
the effect of various water quality types including simple water treatments on weight gains in cattle. The
four water types and treatments were: 1) direct access by livestock to the dugout; 2) water pumped
from the dugout to a trough; 3) water aerated and pumped to a trough; and, 4) coagulated and
chlorinated
water pumped to a trough. I though you might be interested...

What are you smoking? The study you are citing is weight gain effects from water consumption - not exposure. Much of the weight gain is attributed to higher palatability of the coagulated/chlorinated water. Did you even read it or just pick the first result you found for weight gain and chlorine??

Your claim of 2 pounds of weight gain from a shower is completely unfounded unless you want to consider people with a lot of hair not drying themselves and stepping on the scales.

What a bad attitude you have...You should be taken off this site. And for your information I use to work in the water filtration business. You have a good day.. I will not be posting anything else on here especially with people of your caliber .

What a bad attitude you have...You should be taken off this site. And for your information I use to work in the water filtration business. You have a good day.. I will not be posting anything else on here especially with people of your caliber .

People of "caliber" that actually look into the information that you purport to be fact? That actually read the report you cite? God forbid. I would apologize for calling out the misinformation, but really that would be dishonest. Your post was entirely baseless.

That you used to "work in the water filtration business" is obvious. I guess pushing filtration systems on people with little knowledge of the product didn't work out too well for you.

My uncle only drinks hot water, like he would make a tea without the tea leaves. He insists that this is the best tasting water.

Hot water tastes okay, but I still like to add some tea leaves or chocolate.

Out here in the high desert wellwater comes from great depths and is loaded with minerals. Drinking that stuff directly will give you the trots. I am using a reverse osmosis unit on it or get bottled water, like water from Big Bear Mountain in California.

sell that tapwater of yours to California healthnuts as "real wellwater, rich in minerals" for $5 per quart.
You'll make a lot of money :)

Coke actually did that

Boiled tap water would be much better.

t prefer tap watter since it improves immunity and its free vaccine

prefer tap watter since it improves immunity and its free vaccine

thats rubbish

If your bottled water is tap water, then you are lucky. It could be a lot worse.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.