happygeek
veganarchist
9,514 posts since Mar 2006
Reputation Points: 1,411 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 451 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 166 [?]
Administrator
Featured

The Google Panda algorithm update, also known as the Google Farmer update, is taking its toll on user participation numbers here at DaniWeb. So, if you have ever found anything we do at DaniWeb helpful then here's your chance to repay us. We are not asking for money, although if you did want to donate it is really easy and not as costly as you might imagine. Nope, all we are asking you to do is participate a little more by posting more frequently. It really won't take more than a few minutes of your time, but it could make all the difference to the DaniWeb community and help us recover some of that lost ground on Google.

If you have a hardware or software tech-related question to ask, now is the time to ask it.

If you know the answer to someone else's problem, now is the time to tell them.

If you have some coding insight to share, now is the time to share it.

If you have a tutorial to write, now is the time to write it.

Talking of which, if you do fancy writing a tutorial then simply drop me, happygeek, a PM for advice on requirements, format and style. Then, when you are happy, just post your tutorial in the most appropriate forum making sure you PM the mods to let them know it's a tutorial to enable it to be peer reviewed and if suitable flagged as a tutorial on the system.

If you have never played one of the DaniWeb Posting Games, now is the time to let your fun geek free.

And finally, if you have stopped posting on DaniWeb for a particular reason, then tell us what it is over in the Community Feedback forum so we can correct our mistakes and tempt you back into action.

But, please, if you haven't posted before then do please read the rules first just in case you were about to unknowingly break them...

Member Avatar
happygeek
veganarchist
Administrator
Featured

Are you in control? No, seriously. When did you last visit your member Control Panel? Just click on the big Control Panel link which can be found at the top of every page, and an exciting new world of DaniWeb options will open up before your very eyes. Your personal Control Panel brings you a quick view of any unread personal messages that may be waiting for you, along with details of pending friend requests and subscribed threads. Want to know who has given you 'rep' recently? Well your Control Panel not only tells you who and when but lets you read any reputation comments left as well. Of course, you wouldn't really be in control unless you could change things, and the Control Panel doesn't disappoint here either. Look to the left of the screen and you will find a sidebar that allows you to quickly edit your member profile, join networking groups and change your avatar, signature, email & password and more. So go on, why not take control of DaniWeb today?

Member Avatar
happygeek
veganarchist
Administrator
Featured

If you know a DaniWeb community member who deserves to be featured in our Member of the Month slot then why not nominate them for the honor? Just drop a PM entitled 'Member of the Month Nomination' to me, happygeek, telling me who it is and why you think they deserve to be featured.

Member Avatar
happygeek
veganarchist
Administrator
Featured

Since joining DaniWeb back in January 2007, stultuske has contributed 1,152 posts in all, more than 1000 of them in the Java forum alone. We thought it was about time to find out what makes this veteran poster tick...

Where are you from originally, and where do you live now?

I was born in Flanders, next to the border with the Netherlands actually, and now reside in Leuven. I basically just 'stuck around' after I graduated from KHLeuven. Not that far from where I grew up, mind you, but it looks like a world of difference and the job opportunities for a software developer are just that much better over here.

How old are you?

Well ... unlike some of my (female) friends, I don't take offence in being asked that. I've recently (last april) hit the big 3-0. Not that it matters that much, but a number of my friends are still students (which is, I assume, a result of me living in Leuven, where there are more students than apples in an apple orchard), making me automatically the 'old fart' of the group.

What is your current occupation, ever done anything unusual in the past?

My current occupation.. well, my contract says I'm a T1 Support Engineer, which actually means I'm a yep yep - Java developer. About doing something unusual: a few years ago, when the economical crisis hit, and job opportunities were rather scarce, I followed a course in 'Human Resources' to increase my chances on the job market, but I'm sure glad I made it back into the IT world.

What is your favorite OS?

For an OS ... this might sound as blasphemy to a lot of you, but I'm going to stick with Windows.. Not that I don't believe Linux to be a lot safer, and certainly stabler, but (and here comes the but), a lot of applications are only compatible with Windows. OK ... OK .. I'm very well aware of the fact that the last 'stable' version of Windows was 3.11 (sigh) for the moment I'm running Windows 7 and it still p*sses me off several times a day. For instance, last weekend I had to reset my System, it took me seven reboots before my System would like to remember my JAVA_HOME and PATH ... go and try to compile some work then, if you must.

What first brought you to DaniWeb?

Well, it's been a while, but what brought me herewas actually the same reason a lot of people get here: I was looking for an answer on a problem I've been having, 'googled' it, and a thread in the DaniWeb forum was the first decent return for which I did not need to "Sign in now for only 5$ a month".

What makes you stay here?

Well .. after I found the answer to my question I started looking around, found some threads where I could offer an answer, and kind of just like living in Leuven, stuck around. Now I just visit every few times (since I'm between projects for the moment, I've got a bit time to spare anyway) and see if there is anything I can give a fresh opinion on. It doesn't just help the OP, it kind off helps me thinking about the subject and refreshing my own memory about the topic, so it's a bit a win-win scenario. Not to mention that it sounds a lot better on a job interview to say that you're a participating member in a technical forum in your spare time, than to say you've got a subscription to Playboy.

What is your favorite forum and why?

Well ... I'm a Java developer and thus I would have to go for the Java forum, which is firmly bookmarked in my browser. Of course, from time to time I wonder off into the JavaScript or the Web-Development fora, but I mostly follow up on the Java part. You are what you do, as they sometimes say: due to my education and work experience, most of my programming knowledge is Java (or Java related) so it's a bit obvious that this is where I can help the most people out.

What are your interests outside of IT and outside of DaniWeb?

OOOOH .. The big question ehmmm ... well ... this might sound a bit geeky here, so ... beware: Since I live in Leuven, and I have been a member of a students organisation (it's not really the same as the American fraternity, but you get my drift) I've become interested in the history of them, so I've read up about that subject, and 'collect' versions of student songs we sing in Flanders. Next to that, I like to read up about some subjects of which there 'll always be more than one opinion, so a healthy conversation/discussion is always possible. In here, I mean subjects like the Knights Templar, the life and death of Billy the Kid... I also like movies (a lot, I guess) and music (not that I play an instrument) I sometimes boot up my computer to play a game (still hooked on the gameplay of Carmageddon I, too bad it doesn't run very well on a fast CPU, and of course the one decent program to come from Microsoft in years Freelancer). Furthermore I like to read, normal books (thriller, horror, drama) as well as graphic novels such as V for Vendetta and Watchmen. Hmmm ... Even I think this sounds .. seriously geeky, so I'll better put a stop to it right now.

Name the best thing about DaniWeb, and one thing you would change if it were in your power?

The best thing? I think the big advantage DaniWeb has is that it has been discovered (and used) by developers over the entire world, and that it's not just a 'private club' where everyone has the same experience and knowledge from the start. You can get fresh angles to work on each problem, and even someone who's worked with some material for years, can find ways to improve his work because of it.

One thing I would change? Well, it's quite annoying when someone revives a thread that hasn't been posted in for over several years and that actually contains the solution to the problem, by someone who just posts something like "G1v3 m3h th4 C0d3z plzzzz". So I think I it could come in handy if a thread that wasn't posted in for some time (mind you, I'm not saying, lock this, it hasn't been answered to in 24 hours) it could be locked. It would save us the energy to read an entire thread just to find out it has already been answered and the new "question" doesn't concern us anyway.

What is your favorite joke?

The one where two Dutchmen go buy a dog but unfortunately, it's a bit long and if you don't say it in Dutch you screw up the punch line so about 95% of you wouldn't understand what I'm talking about. And if I were to put one in English, it would probably be real lame, so I'm not about to make me more geekier than I already have.

You
This article has been dead for over three months: Start a new discussion instead
Tags Related to this Article