1.11M Members

Welcome to the March 2012 DaniWeb Digest

As regular Digest readers will be aware, DaniWeb founder Dani and long-time collaborator James are currently working hard behind the scenes to rebuild the forum system upon which the community runs from the ground up. Members who have kindly donated money to help with the running costs of DaniWeb have access to the top secret (oops, not know!) Area 51 forum which keeps them up to speed with developments and enables them to provide input into what they would like to see implemented. However, as DaniWeb is very much operated as a global user community we think it is only fair that everyone gets that same opportunity when something as important as a site rebuild is concerned. If you have a bright idea that you would dearly love to see implemented as a feature in the new DaniWeb, it's still not too late to make your suggestions over in the DaniWeb Community Feedback forum where others have been doing just that. We cannot promise that your ideas will end up a DaniWeb reality, nor that even those really great ones will be able to be included in the first revision of the site code, but your comments and ideas are truly welcome. After all, you may think of something that Dani and James have overlooked!

Members have already been making suggestions, and their ideas are getting listened to. Take Reverend Jim who asked if it would be possible to add an option to the DaniWeb search facility that restricts it to the current forum only so that when searching while visiting the VB.net forum, for example, it only returned results from that forum. Dani reckons that is doo-able.

Then there was ardav who asked about the possibility of toggling off the auto-parsing of URLs in the editor as when discussing rewrites or paths which may not be 'code' they get left in the open. The response was quick and comprehensive, with James suggesting ardav could already wrap his URLS in noparse tags as a workaround, and Dani revealing that in the new site version inline code will come with a button from all editors and, thanks to the Markdown language which will be used, added with backticks.

So, do you have a feature idea that's burning a hole in your brain? Now is the time to share it with the folk who just might be able to make it happen.

Please spare a moment to read this thread which highlights how scammers are using the good name of DaniWeb as a provider of technical support to try and get people to allow them remote access to their computers in order to help fix some non-existent problem and, one assumes, charge a fee in the process. These kind of telephone support scams are commonplace in Europe, usually claiming to be from Microsoft or a large PC vendor such as Dell in order to gain the trust of as many computer users as possible. While it is flattering that DaniWeb has attained a similar status in the world of IT support, it is despicable that anyone should use our good reputation in order to try and scam people. In the example highlighted in the referenced thread, the caller even identified himself as 'Dan' which we assume was meant to convince the victim he was the owner of DaniWeb. In fact, DaniWeb was founded and is owned by a woman, Dani herself. P{lease be assured that NOBODY from DaniWeb will ever call you to offer unsolicited technical help, and we would urge you to let us know if anyone does so that we can co-ordinate a response with law enforcement agencies and our legal representatives. Falling for such scams and allowing these people to gain remote access to your computer could not only cost you money in terms of the 'fee' they charge your credit card, but also put you at risk of credit card fraud and almost certainly lead to your computer being infected with malicious software for good measure.

The latest member of the DaniWeb community to join our virtual hall of fame is stultuske who has been a member since January 2007 and in that time has notched up over 2700 posts and by so doing has a DaniWeb rank of 55 (out of 946,000 members) by post count alone. When you take reputation earned into account, you get a ranking of 46 and his postings rank 37 in terms of the number of threads marked as solved after he has replied to them. If you want to get a taste of what stultuske has to offer the DaniWeb community then head over to the Java forum where you will find nearly 2500 of his contributions. In the meantime, let's find out what makes this impressively helpful member of the DaniWeb community tick...

Where are you from originally, and where do you live now?

Well, I grew up in a small place in Flanders (the Dutch speaking part of Belgium, not the neighbours of the Simpsons). Since I graduated in Leuven, the place with what is described as the biggest bar from the world, I decided to stay living there, and, to the moment, still am.

How old are you?

I'm still a bit of the younger developer, I guess. I'm about to turn 31, so just old enough to fall out of the kids category, yet still young enough to go out from time to time.

What is your occupation?

Currently I'm employed in Brussels. the first time I'm working in a SOA architecture, and getting thrown into the entire GWT-Spring-Hibernate mix. well, lots of fun, and during compilation and connection probs, still having time to check the forum now and then.

What is your favorite OS?

As for the kind of computer, even though I'm more and more into laptops (still big enough to be decent (to my standards, of course, and have a decent keyboard) and have enough power under the hood, yet still be compact, but I'll always have somewhat a soft spot for a good old desktop. way easier to upgrade at home.

As for OS, even though I'm not really the biggest Microsoft fan (although they've won a bit from my affection when they released Freelancer. the game came out during my exams, managed to complete it and still pass my next exam. -> Java, who would have figured?), I must say for my own machines (for now) I've always picked Microsoft, since ... well, I tend to be a bit lazy that way, less configuration and such, and a lot of games didn't use to be supported by Linux, so ... yah!

What first brought you to DaniWeb?

During one of the Java courses I took, I wanted to have a bit more information about a subject, and the first (decent) result Google got me, except for the Sun pages of course, was a thread in one of the DaniWeb forums. Well, one thing led to another, and, to be honest, during some classes, browsing the forum was a lot more interesting than actually paying attention to the instructor explaining for the 4th time why having a return statement in a method with a void returntype might be a bad idea. I've been offline during some periods, but every few months or so, I remember the fun of solving the puzzles and actually being able to say I've been helping someone.

What makes you stay here?

I guess it's because I from time to time enjoy a puzzle, see a (well formulated and informative) post and try to find the next piece to solve the problem. and, I must admit, sometimes laughing with or expressing my opinion on a very lousy post can get my mind drifting for a second, too.

What is your favorite forum and why?

I think some have noticed already that the obvious answer here is the Java forum. I guess the reason for this is, is that Java was the language the most focussed on during my education, and since I've been employed as a Java developer for a few years now, well ... it's the language I work the most with, and that's not about to change, so I'm most drawn to the -what-I'm-doing-now-. Not only is this the place where I can put more (almost) decent replies and opinions, it's also the place I get the most answers for what I need to know.

What are your interests outside of IT and outside of DaniWeb?

Outside of the entire IT world, since I've been a member of a (several actually, I had fun over the years) students organizations (not really the same as an American fraternity, but still), I've gotten interested in where our student traditions and student songs come from, what they mean, .. Even reading stories of jokes students here pulled about seventy years ago, can keep me busy for a day, with a cold Duvel (one of the best Belgian beers) by the side. Also, I enjoy reading a lot, history books, horror, thriller, well ... I'm not picky. And the same goes for TV-series and films.

Name the best thing about DaniWeb, and one thing you would change if it were in your power?

The best thing, I would say, is that it's not limited to one language, or one framework, but that you can find information about almost everything, while both experts and hobby-IT'ers are present 'en masse' to help you solve all the problems you're having.

Most of the time, if you want to improve your site, you need to look up one forum for the layout, design and images, another one for the back-end, another one for the database, ... while here you can find the appropriate places with a single click.

Any fascinating facts about yourself that you would like to share with the DaniWeb community?

Fascinating facts? Kind of doubt it, wouldn't really know of any, anyway, I guess I'm a bit of a boring sap...

You
This article has been dead for over six months: Start a new discussion instead
Tags Related to this Article