I want to connect my PC to my TV. I have an s-video capable graphics card, but is this the best way? I want the clearest picture possible. Would a tv-tuner card like the Radeon Theater or All in Wonder cards work for better for this?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I want to connect my PC to my TV. I have an s-video capable graphics card, but is this the best way? I want the clearest picture possible. Would a tv-tuner card like the Radeon Theater or All in Wonder cards work for better for this?

s-video will supposedly give you better picture than plain old AV cables, but I haven't noticed much difference in the past. Maybe if you had a really nice TV, but then nowadays most nice TV's have VGA, which is better again. Or at least composite (the three colour plugs, green, red & yellow I think).

Stay away from HDMI, it is copy protected and you cannot guarantee that any one device will work with another (IMHO).

Any reasonable video card should do, as your TV resolution is most likely much less than your PC. Unless you have a high-def TV, in which case you want to make sure your card can match the high-def capability. eg. if your TV can do 1080p, then a 1080i output won't look as good as a 1080p output...

Best thing to do is just try it out and see how it looks. If you don't like it, upgrade later!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.