Are acer laptops any good?

Member Avatar
Coach_Nate
Light Poster
48 posts since Aug 2004
Reputation Points: 4 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 1 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

Just wondering if acer makes quality laptops... I found a good looking one on newegg.com and it's very reasonably priced (<900), but I've never used an acer before. I know newegg has a very good reputation, but I was hoping someone could help me out with acer.

thanks,
Nate

Member Avatar
Freedom9
Newbie Poster
1 post since Jun 2006
Reputation Points: 0 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]

I just purchased an Acer 5400 from Micro Center. 949.00 less $150 rebate less $100 rebate if I signed up for their credit card. Not bad for a 100 GB hd, 1GB memeory, 15" screen, XP Pro, etc. etc.

My son works in IT and has one and likes it. He says that the screen doesn't work if you are in the sun, so check out where you sit in realtion to the Light! :)

My company's IT guru, whose title is "chief cynic" also likes it.

So I bought it.

Now I need time to set it up.

BTW. Avoid the 3 yr warranty jazz. They have, if you ask for it, a Bronze 1 or 2 year plan for 99 or 129 that seems sufficient.

HOpe this helps.

Member Avatar
jwenting
duckman
8,359 posts since Nov 2004
Reputation Points: 1,399 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 447 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 35 [?]
Infraction Points: 5
Team Colleague

They're a European brand. They're a solid B brand here with aspirations to become a Big Name. Most of the quality and features of the majors but at a more reasonable price.

I'd rather buy one of the Big Names (Toshiba, IBM, Sony) myself if the difference in price was small because I want my machines to last years and years, but if you're looking at something that doesn't need to work 24/7 for a decade Acer is a very viable alternative.

Member Avatar
alpha2006
Junior Poster
116 posts since Apr 2006
Q&As Helped to Solve: 6 [?]

Acer laptops are as good as any other laptop manufacturers. Personally, i think that they are of better quality than dell laptops.
I have an old acer laptop that I purchased in Europe back in 1999. It is still up and running although I don't use it anymore.

Member Avatar
PCTech2
Newbie Poster
12 posts since Jun 2006

I have an Acer Laptop 3100 model - great value for money and holdings its value shame I can't say the same about the battery - when purchased they claimed it would last 3 hours - only one hour will it go for.

:p:p

Member Avatar
Coach_Nate
Light Poster
48 posts since Aug 2004
Reputation Points: 4 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 1 [?]

Ok, since I started this thread back in '04, and eventually did end up buying an acer (it's what I'm on right now).... I can safely say I made the right choice. I have an Aspire 1360, with an AMD Sempron 2800+. 1.6 GHz, 512 MB ram, and a 40 gb hd. When I bought it back in '04, it ran me about $950 out the door including shipping. The laptop has taken about 3 really good falls over the years, and the only damage being to the battery cable. I would (and have) highly reccommend an Acer to anyone looking for a laptop.

Member Avatar
'Stein
Lapsed Skeptic
1,707 posts since Jan 2006
Reputation Points: 150 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 112 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 18 [?]
Team Colleague

Heh quick question for ya. Have ya had any other laptops?

Thanks.

Member Avatar
UrbanKhoja
Posting Shark
914 posts since Jun 2006
Reputation Points: 89 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 15 [?]
Featured

Just wondering if acer makes quality laptops... I found a good looking one on newegg.com and it's very reasonably priced (<900), but I've never used an acer before. I know newegg has a very good reputation, but I was hoping someone could help me out with acer.

thanks,
Nate

i have just brought the acer 3610 aspire, 80gb hard disk, 512Mb ddr2 ram, Intel celeron 2.0ghz processor, and dual layer DVD writer. £600 from comet, performs well but doesn't make a good replacement for a desktop, only had it 4 weeks and already thinking of adding another MB of ram, only managed to get and hour out of the battery so far, crashes occasionally, otherwise great budget laptop :cheesy:

darren

Member Avatar
goldeagle2005
Finkus Stinkalotus
1,486 posts since Jun 2005
Reputation Points: 33 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 52 [?]
Team Colleague

I dont know. A friend of mine bought an ACER lappy and she's had a nighmarish time with it. First, the HD crashed causing her to lose data. She got the HD replaced as it was in warranty. Oh, and the warranty was only for 6 months. And this when she bought it from an authorised ACER showroom. After 9 months, her combo drive failed and she's currently ODD-less. I've had bad experiences with ACER. I for one wouldn't go for their lappy...

Member Avatar
Gabster
Newbie Poster
1 post since Mar 2007

I bought one last week. It is an Aspire 5570Z. Staples in south florida has a special for $598. It is a pentium dual core, 1024mb of ram, 100gb hdd, windows vista home premium, with a 14.1" screen(weighs 5.2lbs), and a dvd/rw too. i love it. it is extremely fast. Best buy has one for same price with 15.4" screen. Personally i prefer less weight and i have good eyesight. THe best buy version only has vista basic and 80gb hdd and only 512mb ram. all good buys. I got a 2 yr warranty from staples just in case. It was $120. I am actually using it right now. My desktop died on me so i replaced it with the acer laptop. Great primary computer. At first i wanted an American comuter like dell, ibm, hp, or gateway, but i couldnt let this deal pass by. It came with norton for 3 months and it is a really good antivirus. Acer also has very good features. Acer management is great.

my only complain was that it didnt come with microsoft works. I ended up buying microsoft office 07 which is really nice. I do recommend to buy speakers for it because laptop speakers are weak.

Member Avatar
Serunson
Posting Maven
2,571 posts since Mar 2007
Reputation Points: 413 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 62 [?]

i would say acers are brill
i have one running on 98 and it still runs fine to this day
go get one they are really quite reliable

Member Avatar
kazuya888
Newbie Poster
1 post since Mar 2007

Acers laptops are good with its high quality and lower prizes comparing to other big brands

Member Avatar
jbennet
17,127 posts since Apr 2005
Reputation Points: 1,618 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 736 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 38 [?]
Team Colleague
Featured

yeah my cus got a widescreeen one with a turion 64 and MCE for about £699

very nice, 512 ram and 120gb hdd with built ijn wifi, webcam, card reader etc and dvd/r

Member Avatar
rajanag
Newbie Poster
2 posts since Aug 2006

Plz check, the screen is pretty not good,
it will clear when u r exact oposite to sceen only,
other wise it wont good

but toshiba is not like that

see and goo with the best brands, i suggest u to use toshiba or IBM

they are pretty price and good quality

Member Avatar
John A
Vampirical Lurker
5,285 posts since Apr 2006
Reputation Points: 1,896 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 408 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 12 [?]
Team Colleague

>it will clear when u r exact oposite to sceen only,
You must be referring to glossy screens versus dull screens. The glossy screens have a much narrower viewing angle, however the advantage of implementing them on laptops is that you get an increased picture quality and more intense colors.

It's debatable which is better, some prefer one version, others prefer another. MacBook Pros even allow you to choose between glossy and dull screens, so you can choose whatever suits you.

Member Avatar
jbennet
Team Colleague
Featured

hey Rajang, all sonys have those glossy screens - does that mean you consider them to be an inferior brand ?

(i myself prefer unglossy as i work in suny environments a lot)

Member Avatar
Shanksy
Newbie Poster
3 posts since Sep 2007

Ya dude, they're sweet but you should check whats under the hood, don't run Vista with a Celeron... it gets messy!

Member Avatar
jbennet
Team Colleague
Featured

Yes, core2duo is good

Member Avatar
hbk619
Master Poster
733 posts since Oct 2006
Reputation Points: 228 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 16 [?]

yeah my cus got a widescreeen one with a turion 64 and MCE for about £699

very nice, 512 ram and 120gb hdd with built ijn wifi, webcam, card reader etc and dvd/r

does the cam work? is it a built in one? Mine is, Acer Orbicam on an aspire and it BSOD of death me randomly on startup, doesn't work with msn. and is now disabled by moi :@

Member Avatar
jbennet
Team Colleague
Featured

works fine for my cus?

maybe you have a bad driver?

You
This article has been dead for over three months: Start a new discussion instead
View similar articles that have also been tagged: