Hi,

I have been working at my current job for about 2 and a half years now. My current job is the first job I have had as a computer programmer out of college. Lately, a number of factors, both personal and professional, have led me to decide that it is time to find a new job. As this is my first job, I've never done this before and was hoping I could turn here for some helpful advice. MY questions are as follows:

1. I hope to leave my job once I hit the 3 year mark. Since I will have three years experience under my belt, should I no longer include my GPA on my resume? It seems like this information shouldn't be as relevant anymore, but I just want to check on that.

2. Along the same lines, it seems like it would no longer be appropriate to ask my college professors if I may use them as my references. I know two of my bosses at work think highly of me and would provide a good reference for me, but I don't know if it's a good idea to let them know I'm looking for another job, especially because I have no idea how long it may take to find another job,

3. So naturally my next question is should I be looking for a job before or after I quit? I've saved up some money and would be able to support myself for some time, but of course there's too much uncertainty to rely on this.

4. Also, one of the reasons I have for wanting to find a new job is I'm sick of living where I currently am. I really want to move to the west coast or maybe the south. Would companies be reluctant to hire someone who lives very far away, as opposed to someone who is local? Would this make for a complicated and pricey interview process, as I would probably have to fly to wherever it was to interview in person? And suppose I do get a job somewhere far away, would I have a set time limit to find a place to live before starting?

That's all the stuff I can think of for now, if anyone has been in a similar situation, please let me know how you handled things! Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

1. No
2. Yes
3. Before you quit job
4. Most companies prefer hiring local people

> but I don't know if it's a good idea to let them know I'm looking for another job
Are you that set on finding another job?

I mean, if your current employer offered you more money, a better desk, more responsibility, different project (or whatever), would you take it?

If you're good at what you do, it's a lot better for them to try to keep you than to spend time and money looking for a replacement.

If the managers in question are clued in enough, then simply asking them to be a referee should be enough of a nudge to get them to pay attention to some of your concerns. If they just let you walk away, then you made the right choice. However, getting your current company to improve it's offer, or better yet two companies engaged in bid/counter bid for your services can only improve your lot both now (and in the future, whenever you decide to move).

Who knows, maybe they're looking to open an office where you want to go, and wondering how just to make a start - you could be golden at that point!

In these times, a lot of companies go for last in, first out. Being a newbie at a new place would not be good.

1. I'm not 100% on the GPA but it seems that you could probably leave it out as long as you have it available to provide. I don't think there's any particular reason though as it's only an extra six characters on a resume.

2. Not appropriate for most college professors, but if you've continued a relationship with a professor and they're familiar with your work and situation there's no reason not to consider them as a reference. But only if you've continued to stay in contact. As for your managers, offer references upon request. If they ask for the references you can talk to your managers but if none of the interviews get that far you wont need to.

3. Look for a job before you quit, I know that before the last bump in the economy the average job search was 2-3 months. It's probably longer now. You shouldn't quit your job before you at least have a feel for the job market, you might decide to quit before you find something but you should start looking before you quit.

4. Employers are always going to want local, interviewing is easier and somebody who's settled into a life in an area is more likely to stay with the company than somebody looking for whatever job they can get to finance a move. You could very well get a job from where you are but it is going to be a handicap.

1. I wouldn't include the GPA on a resume to begin with. This is just a personal preference but I have talked to a number of people in charge of hiring for larger corporations and they require that information however they usually ask for transcripts -- not just GPA. They want to know what grades you received in courses relevant to your job position.

2. Agree with OlyComputers

3. You should look before you quit and do not look while on your current job OR communicate with any potential employer. You have no idea how many people look for new jobs at their current employer which can get you terminated on the spot.

4. agree with the other posters

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.