kc0arf 68 Posting Virtuoso Team Colleague

Apple's new iPod is just simply awesome. Announced today (Oct 12, 2005), Apple's new iPod has new video capability, along with other featurs that turns the music box into a sophisticated piece of equipment. With all this functionality, my Palm PDA might be forced into retirement!

We all know that Apple's iPod is the standard in personal MP3 players out there -- the ability of iTunes to download legal music and manage the rights is well known. Where the new iPod takes the cake is the added functionality -- it can now play videos, and it will sync with business applications to keep appointments and contact information. Cool!

The iPod comes with either a 30 or 60 GB hard disk, and it is rated to operate for up to 20 hours of use before recharging. Note that with all electronic devices, the battery life will vary depending on how you use the device. 30 GB will store roughly 7,500 songs; 60 GB handles 15,000 songs. The screen is 2.5" on the diagonal LCD, with a LED backlight, so you can see it well at night.

Some other specifications:

Audio --> handles AAC, Protected AAC, MP3, MP3 VBR, Audible 2,3,4, Apple Lossless, WAV, and AIFF files

Photos --> JPEG, BMP, GIF, TIFF, PSD, PNG

Video --> H.264 video: up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

Other features:
* Podcast capable. Either purchased, or for free. Download shows / tunes and take them with you.

* Optional video cable will let you hook your iPod to a television set, and let you show photos on the big screen.

* Supports Address Book & iCal on the Mac, or Outlook and Outlook Express calendars. Sync your appointments and contact information.

* Worldclock allows you to check times in other parts of the world (handy for those international phone calls / appointments) and also has an alarm clock feature to wake you up in the morning

* Security feature to lock the iPod so that others cannot tap into your information. 4 digit security code.

I'd like to personally see one of these things... seems like Apple has brought together many different types of media, and put it into a small package that is slimmer and lighter than the original iPod. I wonder if it has a calculator in it... that is about the only thing that I see missing from this amazing little device.

Christian