Accusations are nothing new to Microsoft -- they continue to battle various groups in Europe and Asia for various antitrust violations. That is nothing new. What is new is that South Korea continues investigating, and Microsoft replied with a threat. "It might be necessary to withdraw Windows from the Korean market, or delay offering new versions in Korea" Microsoft said in a U.S. regulatory filing.

WOW! Microsoft actually leaving a market instead of correcting it's code and policies to conform with fair trade practices, and IT common sense. It is no secret that Microsoft wants a Windows & IE world out there, and that the competition can falter and fall apart. That is the goal of business. But there are also reasons for cross-platform functionality, along with different browsers performing the same functions.

For example, let's say I have a Microsoft server installed with some some Windows and some Macs on it. Why can't I use Safari to manage Windows Server Update Services? Why does Microsoft insist on a single web browser (IE) to do something as simple as clicking on a few buttons, and maintaining the server? Novell's concept works just fine on my Mac. So does webmin on Linux.

Then again, Microsoft cannot handle an RSS feed either.

So, let's say that Microsoft decides to abandon Korea. Granted, I doubt they would be able to order everyone with present-day installations to go out there and format their drives, as the software is already paid for. But then, there will be a number of abandoned .doc, .xls, .ppt files out there.

I think Massachusetts has it right -- an open document format for government users so that if a vendor (Microsoft) ever decideds to whine and leave, that the hard work invested within documents are not lost. I realize that I am nobody, but I encourage South Korea to call Microsoft's bluff, and actually have them leave! What news that would make. And think of the liberation from all the virus / spyware problems out there that plagues this platform too!

There is life after Microsoft. Many have found it. Have you?

Christian

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

No, Microsoft is leaving the market instead of giving in to blackmail. Had I been Microsoft I'd have done that in Europe too, and immediately revoked all licenses issued to Euro government agencies.

Most likely (giving the attitude in many Asian countries towards piracy) sales are already low there with 99% pirated versions in use so the loss in sales would be minimal.

As to Microsoft requiring IE for Windows Update, it's because of the way it works.
WU uses a rather large ActiveX control to calculate what updates to get, and no other browser supports that.
I've not seen an option to autoupdate FireFox through IE either...

I can't stand all you people that hate on Microsoft. They make amazing software that the world can't live without. Everyday companies are making the switch to Windows server instead of Linux. Linux admins have the highest job security because it's so damn difficult to do. If you're a windows admin on one network, you can be one on any network. try that with *nix. Besides Microsoft writes the best software, hands down. How many millions of different Linux drivers are there for my NIC? As with any company, if you control the market hands down, your way becomes industry standard. I agree. As a firefox user, I am a bit upset that i need IE for WinUpdate. I have a firm belief that IE 7 will blow all other browsers away. I also believe an RSS reader will be included in it. You say Microsoft is dumb for not wanting to conform to some communist government? I think it shows how strong they are by not needing the business. Windows is the way of the future. You should probably get used to it. And i'm willing to be a buffalo nickle that you're running Windows XP on that little machine of yours.

Yeah, communists are known for their non monopolistic behavior and great anti-piracy laws. (sarcasm)

And on another front, had Apple tried ot to monoplolize their hardware sales they would have a much larger market share than they do today. What is it 5% (maybe). Instead they want to blame their largest business blunder ever on Microsoft.

I would urge Microsoft to pull out of any nation that decides to do what south Korea is doing. And while their at it design their servers to automatically block any IP trying to connect to an MS server with pirated Microsoft software. Wouldn't that be a wonderfull world. Criminals automatically shunned from the world. I might even start running MS servers if they had that feature built in. As a systems administrator my job would be a lot easier if 1/3rd of the script kiddies and spammers were identified and blocked automatically because they were doing it on pirated software.

I find it amusing that a company is trying to dictate to a state what they can and can't do. Has Microsoft become a "state?"

To some readers here, S. Korea is not a communist state. S. Korea also enforces copy right law in the state and corporate level. Home users on the other hand have free rain over many illegal copies of software, but I would argue that this is similar to most U.S.A. homes.

I think some readers do not know from N. and S. Korea. N. Korea is the communist state.

I feel MS is a monopolistic corporation that in the past and in the present pushed other businesses around with their weight, but now they have gone overboard and is acting like a "state" and pushing a country.

Has MS truly become an "evil empire?" They do have more money than many countries around the world. Does MS feel S. K. is too small of a market, and therefore can make silly threats, and maybe actually leave? Why didn't MS make such threats to EU (European Union) when MS was forced to remove an addon from their OS (operating system)?

I would like to see S. K. dumb the use of MS products and make the switch to an open source platform. Japan, China, and Korea have decided to do this about two years ago, but it is not supposed to be fully implemented for many more years. This switch may need to be done sooner then later.

Having a corporation try to rule a country is not what I think a democracy is. Our elected governments should not bend to any business when we know corporations are for profit and not for the well being of their citizens’ finances or health.

Regardless of the slip in calling South Korea a communist government. The fact that they CAN switch to other software kills the argument that Microsoft has a monopoly on computer operating systems. It doesn't make sense to say Microsoft is a monopoly so everyone should switch to another platform. And why would it take years to years to switch? It only takes about a half hour.

It will be interesting to watch this. I work with both Linux and Windows and could easily survive if i only work on Linux . But can a whole Country work ? I think it is healthy for everybody if Microsoft pulls the Plug in South Korea . A) most of the Windows copies there are pirated anyways and B) it will be the chance for Linux to proof itself to a wider Market.
Once this is established than Linux will not be looked down at but as serious and excellent competetor to Windows and Mac.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.