The DVD format war continues, with neither side determined to give up. So who seems to be winning now? Well, this article seems to claim that Blu-ray is winning, and will soon displace HD-DVD, as were a number of other articles I read in the last few days on the internet. This particular quote stuck out at me:"Within three years it will just be Blu-ray." So says Frank Simonis, the Blu-ray Disc Association's European chairman, at the CeBIT trade show. I find this kind of amusing. Well, I'm not totally saying that Blu-ray is unable to outsell HD-DVD and win the format war, but I'm saying that the recent data that looks promising for Blu-ray may not seem as good as it looks.

First of all, I'm concerned about the accuracy of the data. This is a mere 2 months of collection; how are we supposed to base our analysis on that? Another problem is that the data excluded Wal-Mart, the largest DVD retailer. With this shaky data, it's almost silly to try to predict what will happen in a few months.

Secondly, and this isn't something most of us like to talk about, but Blu-ray doesn't allow adult content (well, it does, but Sony's copying centers don't, and that's the only place to go for mass-copying). Sadly, this is what gives a ton of weight to a format war, and as long as Sony excludes this type of content on their format, they are going to have a much steeper hill that they must go up to win the war.

Thirdly, although Blu-ray is standard in the Playstation 3, the HD-DVD is standard in the Xbox 360. I don't have any statistics in front of me, but I'd say that the Xbox 360 has a lot more clout than the Playstation 3 does for determining the winner in this format war.

Fourthly, the Blu-ray format is kind of unideal for movies. No, it can hold them just as well as HD-DVD discs, but what I am saying is that the capability of Blu-ray's far exceeds the amount of room needed for a high-definition movie. Since it doesn't look like movies are going to get much longer than a few hours, people are unlikely to care about the amount of free space left over on the Blu-ray disc they just bought. True, it's still very important for people on the computer side of things, but it seems like the main usage of this type of disc will be for movies, just as DVDs were invented and successful for movies first, then became popular with the computer industry.

My final point is that HD-DVDs are much, much cheaper than Blu-rays. This makes a whole ton of difference. How much do consumers care about the features of this new player when they see the price? Given that the movies will be cheaper, the player will be cheaper, and that they don't give a rip about how much space is left over on the disc, I'd say there's a pretty high chance that the consumer is going to dive for the HD-DVD.

So of course HD-DVD isn't going to win this war hands-down either, and if I were the head of the HD-DVD camp, I'd likely be a little worried by the current statistics. But I certainly don't believe that Sony is capable of winning this war in 3 years, either.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

If history is any indication Blu-Ray is dead already.
That's what usually happens in the end with Sony technology.
Betamax anyone?

joe, HD-DVD in only standart on the second edition of the first 360 only, the first never had an HD-DVD player.

>HD-DVD in only standart on the second edition of the first 360 only, the first never had an HD-DVD player.
Ah. Thanks for clearing that up.

On my last trip to Best Buy, I noticed that several HD-DVDs supported both HD and standard DVD (one on each side of disc). If HD discs continue to do this and BluRay can't/doesn't, then that's yet another reason for people to buy HD over BluRay. You can start building a collection now without having to buy a new player right away.

What about the actual movies? I may be dead wrong, but doesn't Sony restrict their movies to Blue Ray? I mean, I understand someone's not going to go buy a Blue Ray player to watch a single movie (well..., I won't), but what about if they just release this endless slate of good movies? (haha, i just killed my point).

I think they tried that once already, but only letting Sony movies be released on the PSP discs. (i think thats what handheld thing it was) If I recall, they stopped producing PSP mini dvd movies last year because nobody was buying them. Slightly different situation, but proprietary stuff doesn't have a history of working. Betamax players, 3dfx Glide, oh the list could go on a lot longer.

Avex DVD to Mobile Video Suite is an All-in-One solution to create Mobile Phone 3GP movies from DVDs, TV shows and downloaded videos. The software combines DVD to 3GP Converter and 3GP Video Converter in one package for discounted price.

www.mobile-video-converter.com/dvd-to-mobile

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.