Member Avatar for b1izzard

Hi I am ravi, this is my first personal interview in my career. Please comment me over my answers and my way of answering:)
The questions are:
My interview questions

Q: Tell about yourself?
Me: I am N.Ravikumar coming from Unjapalayam; I am pursuing my B.Sc Information Technology degree in Dr.NGP Arts and Science College. I love programming and blogging.

Q: what are the different stages in SDLC?
Me: Requirement Analysis -> Design -> coding -> Testing -> Implementation and Maintenance

Q: what are the advantages of C++ over C?
Me: C++ is an Object Oriented Programming Language while C is a Procedure oriented language
Q: Other than that?
Me: Sorry madam, I don’t know.

Q: what are the advantages of Using C?
Me: Don’t know madam

Q: what are the advantages of .NET framework?
Me: Robustness, security, RAD, Interoperability….

Q: What are the different types of Models used in Software Development?
Me: Waterfall model, Spiral Model, Prototype model

Q: which is the best model?
Me: Waterfall model
Q: why?
Me: !!!

Q: What is an abstract class?
Me: It provides the skeleton structure of the members and functions of the class.

Q: Does VB.NET support multiple Inheritance?
Me: Yes, Multiple inheritance can be achieved through using Interfaces

Q: Can we initialize variables in the interface?
Me: No, We can just only declare the function, sub and property procedures we cannot assign value to the variable in interface.

Q: What are the different types of validators?
Me: Regular expression validator, Custom validator ,Comparison validator, Range validators etc

Q: What is the process carried behind during the Postback property?
Me: The page automatically requests itself

Q: In order to update a part of the Webpage, Is it necessary to request and reload?
Me: NO
Q: Then how it is reloaded?
Me: Sorry Madam, I don’t know it.

Q: What are the different type of state managements available?
Me: Application state, session state. #I forgot one#

Q: What is meant by Tracing?
Me: Sorry Madam, I don’t know.

Q: is it possible to display two different columns from the two tables?
Me: Yes
Q: how?

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

Hi I am ravi, this is my first personal interview in my career. Please comment me over my answers and my way of answering:)

No, I'm going to make some general commentary about society and seem really obnoxious but that's just the effect of stupidity rubbing off on me.

Me: I am N.Ravikumar coming from Unjapalayam; I am pursuing my B.Sc Information Technology degree in Dr.NGP Arts and Science College. I love programming and blogging.

Okay.

Me: Requirement Analysis -> Design -> coding -> Testing -> Implementation and Maintenance

What? WTF is SDLC? Is that some Indian codeword that they teach? Oh, it means Software Development Lifecycle. And your answer's wrong because there are plenty of different approaches to the question of how to develop software. It seems like you're describing the waterfall model, which is the worst one. I can't understand how an education system could churn out people who give such answers. And why would anybody even ask such a braindead question? It's not as if a candidate is going to have trouble adapting to whatever some particular company does for its development process.

Me: C++ is an Object Oriented Programming Language while C is a Procedure oriented language

You didn't answer the question, you completely fail. You didn't even try to answer the question. Where does your answer say any advantages? You give weird categories, except that "procedure oriented language" is not a real category. There is no such terminology. Another example of an education system designed around the recitation of answers without comprehension.

I am curious: do you know C or C++? Have you used them at all?

What's up with these absurdly generic answers? What's so secure about writing a .NET application. What RAD do you get relative to, say, RoR? You didn't even mention actual stuff that affects one's life as a developer for the platform.

I don't even understand the question. Some of the software development world is completely messed up, and a symptom of this is generic questions like the one asked here.

Why would you answer "waterfall model"? WHY??? I don't know what you mean by "model" but if the question uses the word "best," the answer is not going to have the word "waterfall." The only way any answer about software development uses the word "waterfall" is if the question has the word "worst" because -- wait a second, why are we even talking about this?

Me: It provides the skeleton structure of the members and functions of the class.

Could you go into more detail? How would you use it?

I suppose you might s/Yes/No/ there, but ok.

But why are you even getting asked such a question? Why would anybody ask such a trivia question? Why don't they just have you write some code on a whiteboard. This is completely messed up.

Me: No, We can just only declare the function, sub and property procedures we cannot assign value to the variable in interface.

Again they shouldn't be asking these questions. Something is wrong with the Indian mentality.

Me: Regular expression validator, Custom validator ,Comparison validator, Range validators etc

In what universe did the word "validator" get a standard definition in the computer science lingo?

Why is this even in a college curriculum. I'm going to become president and nuke India.

Q: In order to update a part of the Webpage, Is it necessary to request and reload?

It is so messed up that you'd answer "no" and then not know the actual mechanism used.

Me: Application state, session state. #I forgot one#

Sigh who cares about these questions; ASP.NET is obsolete anyway.

stupid question

stupid question

The person asking the questions doesn't "get" programming and apparently the person answering them doesn't either.

I hope someday India will fix its education system, and when it does, it will take over the world because Indians are the most naturally intelligent people in the world.

I hope someday India will fix its education system, and when it does, it will take over the world because Indians are the most naturally intelligent people in the world.

i totaly agree with you dude! i always see whites picks on indian people.... making fun of them, theyre just jealous coz. the indians are smarter than them. Indian's value education that's why there smart and americans are just bunch of insecure people always want they are above and they know everything.

Indian's value education that's why there smart .

From what I've seen, the Indian education system sucks, big-time. Learning C/C++ involves using an ancient compiler instead of just using a new and free one. This results in learning all kinds of bad coding-habits. It's a good thing that Indian people are smart from nature, because their education isn't helping them at all.

The person asking the questions doesn't "get" programming and apparently the person answering them doesn't either.

Always let the big guy think he's right!

Canned answer to a vague question, not promising at all. I'd expect you to dig for more details before coming up with an answer. For example, which methodology am I talking about? Interviewers will often ask questions that are meant to prompt a series of questions from a good candidate.

Superficial answer, no depth of understanding exhibited. The "advantage" implied by the answer is not really an advantage. All in all a very poor answer. Your inability to come up with anything else suggests that you have only a rudimentary knowledge of those languages.

While "I don't know" is a promising answer in and of itself, complete failure to know even the most basic answer to this question is not a good sign. Assuming basic knowledge of C is important for getting the job, I'd have crossed you off my list by now.

Canned answer, lots of empty calories, and no real display of understanding. Not a good answer. I'd much rather see you tell a story from your own experience where you benefited from advantages of the .NET framework. That kills two birds with one stone: you show that you've got experience, and you give a detailed answer to the question.

You sound like you're going down a list. Naming names is fine, but describing the models shows me that you understand how they work. Knowing the names is merely icing on the cake.

You've fallen into a trap. There's no "best" model, as evidenced by the fact that there are so many. Your first mistake was in picking one to call the "best". Your second mistake highlighted the first mistake by not having any rationale behind the choice.

Very weak answer, suggests lack of understanding.

This answer is iffy, but it does prompt a good interviewer to press for more details. Implementing interfaces can be viewed as multiple inheritance in some cases, but in others it can't. Personally, I would rather you go into more detail if you're going against the grain. Most VB.NET programmers would say that multiple inheritance isn't supported.

WTF is a validator supposed to be? Unless you're applying for a job that requires domain-specific knowledge such that this question makes sense, that would be my response.

I'm having trouble placing the job you're interviewing for.

These one-two punches are whipping your ass. If you know the answer to the first question, you'd damn well better know the answer to the followup or you're proving the first answer to be a lie.

Epic fail. This is where I'd bid you a nice day and end the interview. Do some googling to find out why.

Yet again, you got smacked by the one-two punch.

Conclusion
I've seen worse interviews, but not from reasonably qualified candidates. Your answers have the taste of somebody who might be a good candidate...in a couple of years.

commented: Seems about right to me :) +0
commented: A++ would read again, and did +0

@naraue: you criticize people like your a super genius... ohhh... your too full of yourself... you think your so smart?

@naraue: you criticize people like your a super genius... ohhh... your too full of yourself... you think your so smart?

It's true, though. The answers showed no real understanding at all. They came across as someone who knew some terms they read on Wikipedia rather than someone who had experience as a developer. Now, I realize everyone has to start somewhere -- walk before you run and crawl even before that -- but those answers tell me the candidate is not ready for an internship, let alone a full time or contract position.

That being said, I can relate. I remember going out and doing interviews for .NET development positions before I had a firm grasp on the technology. That fact is more evident now in hindsight than it ever was then. I interviewed for some jobs way above my experience level and even got offered one! Two, actually, counting the job I have now (this process of interviews started over two and half years ago). If I'm me now interviewing me then, there's no way I would hire myself. I guess I'm fortunate that (a) I was interviewed by people who knew less about .NET and good OOP programming principles than I did and (b) I was able to quickly learn and adapt.

He asked for comments and I commented. I'm not going to blow sunshine up his ass just to make him feel good. Honesty and objectivity are far more useful than lies and fear of offending people.

>you criticize people like your a super genius...
I criticize where appropriate.

>your too full of yourself...
I don't worry about false modesty just to make people feel better about themselves.

>you think your so smart?
I think I'm experienced enough, having conducted many interviews, to accurately comment on the OP's answers.

She is a super genius.

And oh, by the way, you can't defeat a genius through hard work.

She is a super genius.

in your dreams... maybe in your jungle! ahahaha.. but to me shes just nobody! ahahaha

i can, and i already proved it. Why don't you make your own signature and don't be jealous. ahaha.

I think I'm experienced enough, having conducted many interviews, to accurately comment on the OP's answers.

accurately comment? what a feeler

in your dreams... maybe in your jungle! ahahaha.. but to me shes just nobody! ahahaha

i can, and i already proved it. Why don't you make your own signature and don't be jealous. ahaha.

I strongly suggest you tune down your tone a bit. No need to start a flamewar over this.

The person was probably a low-quality "genius" then. Or maybe you defeated him at wrestling.

>And oh, by the way, you can't defeat a genius through hard work.
Sure you can, but only if the genius doesn't also work hard to maintain a gap in ability, and the subject/skill doesn't have a hard limit. In the former case, if a genius is lazy then you can work hard to catch up and exceed him. In the latter case, given enough time both parties will reach the same level because at a certain point the genius can't progress further. But that doesn't make as good of a signature.

>but to me shes just nobody! ahahaha
If I were nobody to you, you wouldn't have bothered to attack me out of the blue like that. It's more likely that you feel threatened for some reason and lashed out to secure a (false) sense of authority. To me you're a source of entertainment. It would be more fun if you didn't fail miserably at debate, but owning people in an argument is also amusing, so keep it coming. :)

>accurately comment?
Yes, quite accurate. If you disagree then make some counter-arguments. I can defend my comments, but can you disprove them without falling back on ad hominem?

>what a feeler
When one resorts to name calling, it generally means that one has run out of intelligent things to say.

I strongly suggest you tune down your tone a bit. No need to start a flamewar over this.

ok sir no problem.

commented: suck up +0

ok this will be the last thing ill talk about this, bec the mods show up and i only listen to mods. @naraue: i didn't attack you, i just defend my fellow Asian being criticized by unworthy critics like you....its ok if you criticize someone in a good way in a constructive way not by insulting them. and the truth is... i can say im a lot smarter than you coz. i can understand your language but you cant understand mine... like this NARAUE BAHOG BILAT! ahaahaha :D. your just lucky coz. im not that fluent in english coz im not born american and i can't elaborate well on my arguments. If only we can talk this in my language i can surely beat u in a pulp... if you find me entertaining... so do i... your like a party to me.....you're like feeding my hunger. one more thing about the word 'feeler' in my country we always use this.... it denotes people with BIG HEADS that they think they know everything and they always end up lying in the streets DEAD. And ill say this once more... your just NOBODY to me... unless you became a mod then ill acknowledge your existence.

commented: jesus, learn when to shut the fuck up already. you're embarrassing everyone but yourself. +0

>i didn't attack you
Please don't insult everyone's intelligence. Your first reply to my post was clearly a personal attack.

>i just defend my fellow Asian being criticized by unworthy critics like you
Ignoring this "fellow Asian" crap, what makes you think I'm an unworthy critic? As I've said once before in this thread, I have quite a bit of experience conducting interviews, which makes me qualified to comment on the OP's answers. You have yet to show that any of my comments are false, which suggests that you're full of it and simply attacking me out of personal dislike.

>its ok if you criticize someone in a good way in a constructive way not by insulting them.
The very nature of criticism means that even the slightest sensitivity will result in someone being insulted. I tell it like it is, without any sugar coating. Just because you're insulted doesn't mean I'm not right. Get over it.

>i can say im a lot smarter than you coz. i can understand
>your language but you cant understand mine...

If you're so much smarter than me, why is it that I can see how utterly ridiculous that statement is while you apparently don't?

>im not that fluent in english coz im not born american and
>i can't elaborate well on my arguments.

You can't elaborate on something that doesn't exist. While you might disagree (probably because you think ad hominem attacks are viable arguments), nowhere in this thread have you even attempted to disprove any of my comments to the OP.

>If only we can talk this in my language i can surely beat u in a pulp...
Use simple words if you want. Or you can PM me your arguments in your language, tell me what language it is, and I'll see about getting a decent translation. You see, I don't believe you can refute any of my claims, and all of this lost-in-translation BS is proof that you don't believe you can either.

>unless you became a mod then ill acknowledge your existence
That's hilarious. I'm sure all it would take is a PM to Dani and she would be thrilled to reinstate my mod status. I recently retired from the super mod position here at Daniweb.

@narue
@vaultdweller
Thx for ur comments. I feel disturbed when two geeks arguing each other ,I take all the comments in positive way moreover I had never taken that interview so serious bcoz the company just wants the money from me and get there studying some training courses like PHP and MySql, in whatever way i had answer they simply disqualify me.

Moreover My preparation for that interview is very less and to few questions i know the answer only now. I just want to say

No physician is really good before he has killed one or two patients. ~Hindu Proverb

It suits for my interview also :)

@Narue
Conclusion:
I've seen worse interviews, but not from reasonably qualified candidates. Your answers have the taste of somebody who might be a good candidate...in a couple of years.

I dont need couple of years i just need couple of months

>I feel disturbed when two geeks arguing each other
It's all in good fun, no worries.

>I dont need couple of years i just need couple of months
Then more power to you.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Me: I have webbed feet.

Me: Yes I'll have extra cheese with that. Go easy on the chicken wings though.

Me: *shrugs shoulders*
Me: Other than what, I just shrugged my shoulders.

Me: It comes after B?

Me: Every application has a wonderfully sluggish feel to it. It's great because I work slowly.Especially if I'm hungover.

Me: Megan fox and Jesica Alba.

Me: Megan fox
Me: She has a great personality. *winks*

Me: One I'd rather not attend?

Me: Maybe depends on his family tree? Rednecks tend to have multiple interitance but then
they're inbred.

Me: Did I mention I wanted a bottle of coke with that?

Me: ...Sure your ass doesn't look big in those jeans. The mirror is warped
...Erm 'do I notice anything different about you'... Erm have you shaved your moustache.
...Is that enough?

Me: I want to die right now.

Q: How is this done then?
Me: Dunno.
Q: Do you know what I smell?
Me: Bullshit?

Me: yes/no
Q: yes/no is not a specific answer.
Me: Ok...maybe.

Me: Tracing paper? Sorry not used that since kindergarten.

Me: Tables have legs, not columns. Therefore no.

Both your posts show that you're completely and utterly wrong.
Indians are apparently still under the mistaken impression that they're inherently superior to the rest of the world and only waiting for some dramatic event that will allow them to take over the planet and make everyone their slaves.

In reality the image people get from you is one of highly selfish, full of yourselves, untalented, racist, and lazy people.
That image might be wrong, but it is the image you convey in a lot of the things you do. Not all of you, but enough of you for it to severely influence the way the world sees all of you.

This so-called "interview" and the answers provided by both you and op are typical of all that's wrong with the Indian education system, software "profession", and attitude towards foreigners in just a few hundred lines.

commented: Well said... +0

OK, I think this thread has been left to fester long enough and unfortunately has developed a nasty racist overtone on both sides of the argument.

Thread closed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.