Add a poll in this discussion so we can know how many people are using each browser

That's just what I was thinking of!
Gr8 idea!

Pros/Cons from my point of view.

IE - Excellent for development using microsoft technologies (.NET, ASP, etc.)
- Not so great for ensure cross browser compatibility (IE9 improved this, but I still list it as a con)
- Quirks mode sucks
- Proprietary (Win Only)

FireFox - Add-ins are capable of making it quite powerful.
- Is generally more standards compliant than IE
- Still has it's own standards issues
- Too much overhead (visually)
- Cross Platform (OSX, Win, Lin)

Chrome - Standards compliant to a detrimental extreme (if doctype is set properly)
- Multi-core optimized
- Horrid performance on Single Core
- Minimal visual overhead
- Cross Platform (OSX, Win, Lin)
I'll cover Safari and Opera later
Maybe even talk about mobile versions of said browsers

commented: I agree. +0

Horrid Performance on single core??.. what?? It has the best performance all round, weather it be single, duo, quad.

These are based off my observations of the browsers. When running multiple tabs on a single core processor, the browser starts behaving sluggishly, and will occasionally crash tabs. I have not tried this with the newer releases of Chrome, so I can't say it's still completely accurate. But from a design standpoint, chrome is intended for multi-core processors, or at least hyper-threaded ones.

I started using Chrome initially because its minimalist approach gives me more usable space on my screen (laptop - screen not that big). I also like that it starts and runs pretty quick (on my dual processor!). Found some sites (a few - not that many) that won't work on Chrome so then I fire up IE to get past it. It doesn't have as wide a range of plugins as Firefox yet but I think that they are growing and more things are being offered for Firefox and Chrome. I also found that when I leave it running for a long time (days) the cpu usage will start to rise and I have to kill it and start it again to get it back to normal (running under Win7 64bit). Overall, I'm happy with it.

Honestly, I think the web needs to come away from the plugins, and go back towards it's roots in pure HTML/CSS. With HTML5 we can do this more so than before, but for places like YouTube or NewGrounds, it's going to be impossible to get rid of the plugins entirely. I usually run with all plugins turned off, and turn them on as I reach sites that require them. It helps me ignore those annoying flash adds that are on EVERY site nowadays.

I am using Stainless a mac browser.

Hmmm... I've not heard of that one... Which rendering engine is it using?

I use Mozilla firebox.I found this browsing really marvelous than other searching browser.
Buy Essay

Firefox 4.0 beta edition.... its cool and less complicated..

No overhead dude.

I think I'm gonna start working on making my own.

Firefox. Lol oh, and sometimes i'm forced to use internet explorer. Gross.

IE 9 is a great browser. Microsoft really made some headway. I'm surprised no one is using Netscape (joke).

Using safari on my ipad now. Good to see you sarisoc, having such a great time here. See you sround.

firefox for browsing

I am using Google Chrome

I am fine with Google Chrome and Firefox.

I always tend to open far too many tabs, and that's why I use Chrome. I love Firefox more, but when you open like 50 tabs (yeah, I hate closing tabs), it starts getting too slow for my taste (I once checked when it had 27 tabs open and it was using 3 GB of RAM and 50-99% of my CPU, it's not always like that of course, but you get the point).

Using Turboweb, the faster web browser for mac

I always tend to open far too many tabs, and that's why I use Chrome. I love Firefox more, but when you open like 50 tabs (yeah, I hate closing tabs), it starts getting too slow for my taste (I once checked when it had 27 tabs open and it was using 3 GB of RAM and 50-99% of my CPU, it's not always like that of course, but you get the point).

LOL You need to start closing tabs when no longer needed!

Because of many Chrome lovers here I've switched from IE8/9 to Chrome and am learning to like it.

I love firefox.I love its look.

for general browsing firefox or safari, a lot of people seem to have a preference for chrome! I didn't like it but I might need to give it a better chance.
I think I might be allergic to IE8! IE9 is improved but I still don't like using it, but I am forced to use it for web development because It tends to have more hissy fits then any other, rounded corners in IE just doesn't like to play -.-

Was using Chrome but got firefox 4 and felt it was faster. especially in streaming videos

I am just making request with a console application and read the html response.

Of course Firefox 4 !!!

Firefox all the way

I`m using Firefox 5

currently using Safari now

I am using Google chrome and it's best.

Firefox, mainly.

Google Chrome when Firefox has stopped responding.

IE users have a lower iq than average, I do not fall into that group.
http://mashable.com/2011/07/29/internet-explorer-iq/

I kid, that was a hoax. It made me lol though. :D

I use Firefox, it’s very easy and I’m used to it from a long time. But I’ve heard my friends saying that Google chrome is a bit faster.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.