Hi there guys I'm just wondering if I will still be able to apply my programming skills in networking, will I? Because next term I will already take cisco networking subjects so I'm kind of curious right now. Any thoughts? I'd appreciate it guys. thanks in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Does that answer your question? ;)
I have found that the answer is no, networking requires a different set of skills to programming. Knowledge of one might help you with the other to some degree but generally speaking there is no real cross over. Thats my opinion anyway.

No, but a deep knowledge of computer servers and all of the network hardware/software is needed.

More like a one-way relationship:
Network admin do not need programming skilles except to write some small scripts
Programmers need networking skills because they might be required to write a networking application

Network admin do not need programming skilles except to write some small scripts

means they have to do some script writing. In my own opinion, you can do without programming as a network admin but no knowledge is a waste.

Everything counts!

No. Everyone is right in saying that it helps though. You can create scripts to automate your work for you as a Network/Systems Admin/Engineer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.