Hello everybody! I'm thinking about creating a website using either of these listed different languages such as PHP, ASP.NET, JSP, RUBY(i don't know this one), COLDFUSION(same with ruby), etc. I created a personal website of my own as part of my college project last 2 years using Dreamweaver. I only had a knowledge and background with DW, other than that, no more else. Which one should i spend my time focusing and start learning other website languages?

I have a little bit background as well with sofware development but i'm more of interested with developing/designing websites.

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Functionally there is little difference - the end result will be a working website. I find easy PHP easy to code with but a little messy in the long run. I prefer .Net and avoid JSP where possible. Its a fine product to use from a functionality perspective but I find the resulting project has more pages, files, servlets than I would like.
My ruby knowledge is limited but I quite liked it, it is something I would prefer to put more time into and learn better.
You should, of course, learn the one that you find the most interesting and sensible. .Net, PHP, ruby will all be around for a while I imagine.

Functionally there is little difference - the end result will be a working website. I find easy PHP easy to code with but a little messy in the long run. I prefer .Net and avoid JSP where possible. Its a fine product to use from a functionality perspective but I find the resulting project has more pages, files, servlets than I would like.
My ruby knowledge is limited but I quite liked it, it is something I would prefer to put more time into and learn better.
You should, of course, learn the one that you find the most interesting and sensible. .Net, PHP, ruby will all be around for a while I imagine.

Thanks for the response!

But why should i avoid JSP? Is that a litte more difficult than the others which i may find more complicated for me? And why would it become messy in the end with PHP? :)

Personal preference, nothing more. I have a dislike for JSP thats all, you may really like it.
PHP makes use of a lot of includes to make better use of code and large projects tend to gather a large number of small code files. They can be handled properly of course, and stored efficiently but I find that unless you (or your team) are highly structured, things just get messy. Its human nature.

Personal preference, nothing more. I have a dislike for JSP thats all, you may really like it.
PHP makes use of a lot of includes to make better use of code and large projects tend to gather a large number of small code files. They can be handled properly of course, and stored efficiently but I find that unless you (or your team) are highly structured, things just get messy. Its human nature.

Well, guess i have to try JSP and see it for myself and also with the .NET and PHP. Thanks for your opinion. :)

the whole JSP-servlet story is getting a bit outdated. are you planning to use JSP's with a framework (Struts, for example)? another option would be JSF, it's a newer technique then JSP. also, if you are familiar with java, you could also take a look at GWT.

the whole JSP-servlet story is getting a bit outdated. are you planning to use JSP's with a framework (Struts, for example)? another option would be JSF, it's a newer technique then JSP. also, if you are familiar with java, you could also take a look at GWT.

Maybe, i'll go and take a look with JSF as well. Thank you

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.