I have always thought I wanted to study computer science for many reaons even though I did not know much about it or about the many other majors taht are availlable. I took AP in computer science and I liked it for the first 6 weeks or so untill I noticed that I did not like studying it at all. I just did not like opening my AP CS book and preferred to study Calculus, English or any other subject instead. I am now taking a founndation year in the UK and the only computer class that I am taking is asking me to write a report and it I could literally die fromm boredom. I just cannot seem to enjoy reading about code at all. Last year I enjoyed programming with Jave especially when it was easy but II did not study or pay attention to class. This year I completely hated the CS lab work where we had to learn about Linux, Latex and other boring things. I do not know why I hate it so much sometimes and at fewer times it can be enjoyable. I do not know if things will get more enjoyable when I study more courses or if I need to change my major fast. I like math a lot and do not mind studying it. Please tell me what you think

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

I think that you should focus your studies in an area that you enjoy. With that said, you probably won't like every class within a program. Do you see yourself working as a programmer or some other IT position in the future? If not, it doesn't sound like you should continue on the path you are on. If you do, but not as a programmer, you just need to figure out what the best program/school is for you that puts you on that track.

well, if your going to hate something at the end change your major! your not going to be successful if you stay. only kids who love will do best while those who hate are those that worst.

Member Avatar for Lu'roy

I know how you feel believe then the teacher don't would to help you out in programming html coding or unless check the coding

I think the professor teaching it plays a big role in overall outlook. I LOVE technology but my professor this semester has taken the joy of learning code. Everytime I come with a question, she tells me to refer to my book. And there isn't really any hands on learning to make a student get excited for the subject. I feel ya. But I am not going to give up hope on my CS major just because a professor has lost his/her excitement on the topic.

If you enjoy mathematics, why not major in mathematics and physics.

I am probably in that exact same position. I'm a freshman, and I started out majoring in CS cause I thought it would be fun and engaging. Also, I was excited to begin learning about CS. However, as the class (Intro to CS) started, I hated it with all my guts. Seriously, I had never hated a class so much, ever! The only times I have spoken in the class is when the Professor is asks about math problems.
I love math, and enjoy my Calculus class much more. However, looking at the long term scenario, I am not really sure what I could do with a math major.
Really stuck between "maybe I'll like it later" and "I hate this so much I want to quit college forever"... I mean, I won't quit college (probably) but I hope I can find a path to choose. Any help or counsel is welcome. Thank you.

This question recently came up for me as the result of a Google search, and even though it's rather old, I was wondering what you ended up deciding to pursue? Curious minds want to know!

For what it's worth, and for others out there stumbling upon this thread, I did a computer science degree back in 2000. I had been a self-taught programmer my entire life, from a very young age, and was extraordinarily passionate about it. At the time that I decided to pursue computer science, I was a hardcore Linux nerd in high school. I went to a local commuter college, and what I found at the time was that most of the other students in the program were pursuing it because they were steered that way by their guidance counselors who told them computer science was pretty much a glorified IT degree where you could make a lot of money. Needless to say, they went into it for the wrong reasons, and were unhappy.

I think nowadays times have changed, as programming has become a lot more mainstream than it was 20 years ago. Nowadays, kids are taught programming at an early age, and by the time they enter college, they usually have an idea whether it's something they like or not.

That being said, computer science isn't all programming, and certainly very little of it I would suspect is web programming or more high level languages. There's going to be a LOT of discrete math, maybe an electrical engineering class or two, some low level programming such as operating systems and assembly, etc. Nowadays I suspect big data plays a large role.

That being said, I'm going to echo what has been said here many years ago, which is that you're never going to love all classes in the program. If you're good at math, and you can see yourself with a career in programming, then I would see it through. However, I do remember someone switching majors to accounting back when I was in college, and she said to me, "I'd rather graduate and be an excellent accountant than a really bad programmer."

Whatever you major in, take a few courses unrelated to your major. University/college is a place to broaden your horizons. Aside from my required computer programming/math/statistics courses I also took intro courses in philosophy, psychology, anthropology and astronomy.

If you aren't enjoying your major but know of another one that would be more to your liking, switch. If you don't, you'll regret it afterwards.

I think it's good to opt for an major in field which you think is your passion

When I first started university my major was going to be chemical engineering. After one year I switched to computer science and I have never regretted it.

You cant be good in what you hate so is better you change not to wast your time and effort.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.