I was reading some articles, when I saw this article I was shocked to see these big numbers as salary. It is 12 times of what is good salary here. Are these numbers correct?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

These are numbers for the U.S., obviously. They seem somewhat high, but I think it's because they just have one average for each job title. I would expect that starting salaries are quite a bit lower than that. For example, for just basic "programmer", they quote around 75k$. Someone seeking a programmer's job right out of college (or tech. school) should probably expect something more along the lines of 45-65k$ to start with. So, that number of 75k$ is the average, and is seems reasonable for mid-career or so (e.g., after 10-15 years of working). And then, it goes up from there when you look into more sophisticated job titles (many of which are also exclusively for people with already many years of experience, so they are often much later in their careers).

So, considering that, and also considering that it can vary a lot depending on the field of application (e.g., programmers writing financial analytics software probably make upwards of 250k$, at least, that's how it would appear on job postings), I think the numbers there are within the right ball-park (seem like legitimate averages), but there is obviously a big margin to account for varying experience and application domain (and size of the enterprise).

These are also the ball-park numbers for most professional jobs (e.g., engineers, accountants, doctors, lawyers, etc.) in the western world.

It is 12 times of what is good salary here.

Yeah... that's a sad reality for you. It must be quite frustrating to be on your side of that divide. Improvements in this department usually come from a stronger education system and stronger labor unions / rights.

Improvements in this department usually come from a stronger education system and stronger labor unions / rights.

Ya it is little frustrating and it won't be wise to expect that for at least 100-120 years from place where few professors can't even read or speak properly.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.