hi,

can any one please explain to me in simple terms as what is the exact difference between a Database Server and Application Server? i have googled it a bit but struggling to get the proper idea into my head. thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

An application server has applications installed on it which users on the network can then run as if they were installed on the workstation they are using.

A database server has programs installed that allow it to provide database services over a network. The data, queries, report generatores, etc are all stored on the server, while the client machines use a front end to access those services.

An application server has applications installed on it which users on the network can then run as if they were installed on the workstation they are using.

A database server has programs installed that allow it to provide database services over a network. The data, queries, report generatores, etc are all stored on the server, while the client machines use a front end to access those services.

hi,

thanks for the reply, but as i understand it IIS on windows is an application server right? and i also have an oracle database server in order to get data from clients. but is it possible to install them both ie iis the application server and oracle's database server on the same computer?

IIs is an internet server, which has a number of services to make providing applications over a network simpler.

IIs is an internet server, which has a number of services to make providing applications over a network simpler.

thanks for the help...

is it possible to install them both ie iis the application server and oracle's database server on the same computer?

Yes, and that is frequently done. MS-Windows and *nix can do both. But if the traffic or database requires are high enough you would want to put them on different computers so that they can process the information more efficiently.

Yes, and that is frequently done. MS-Windows and *nix can do both. But if the traffic or database requires are high enough you would want to put them on different computers so that they can process the information more efficiently.

Hi Ancient Dragon,

thanks for the reply, appreciated....

Hi
how do I configure two servers namely Database server (Oracle8i) and application server and how do I link them.Operating system is windows 2000.
Please guide me step by step.I am a beginner
Thanks

As i came to know in application server i can store the softwares on application server and i can install the same on client workstation. BUt, i want to know whether any type of softwares like thirdparty tools i can store on application server?

Application server contain all application specific components such as Jar, WAR, EAR files which inturn containts web components and bussiness class components.

DB Server will normally a separate server instance. Application server send a db request via JDBC calls to connect to the db and fetch the results / process the request in the databse.

Nice -- bumping a 5-year-old thread with no new content.

hi,

thanks for the reply, but as i understand it IIS on windows is an application server right? and i also have an oracle database server in order to get data from clients. but is it possible to install them both ie iis the application server and oracle's database server on the same computer?

IIS is a web server like Apache. IIS is used in Windows based servers. And in web servers you can use db server and IIS together, perhaps it is most needed in Web Hosting industry.

Hi
how do I configure two servers namely Database server (Oracle8i) and application server and how do I link them.Operating system is windows 2000.
Please guide me step by step.I am a beginner
Thanks

First, you have to know if they are to interact and if they are to do so, then the applications to exist in the application server should be configured so as to store its content in the database server (oracle in your case) and also the application would fetch back contents from its database server and display on client workstations as requested by the use.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.